Hospital Rock Trail to Falls Creek Falls Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(59)
Jones Gap State Park

Hospital Rock Trail to Falls Creek Falls Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cleveland, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length6.2 miElevation gain2,096 ftRoute typePoint to point
HikingDog friendlyForestViewsWaterfallRocky
Description
Waypoints (3)

The route on this page has the hiker traversing across Jones Gap State Park on the Hospital Rock Trail, eventually reaching the Falls Creek Falls Trail. This route is a point-to-point meaning you'll need to either leave a car/get a ride from the, return back the way you came (add 6 miles to the length posted here), or walk back along Jones Gap Road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (59)
Photos (675)
Activities (35)
Completed (133)
Victoria C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 6, 2021
Hiking

Beautiful scenery, but it is a strenuous hike. Worth it if you want a challenge!

View Victoria's activity
Robin Broumas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 8, 2021

Not a hike for the inexperienced hiker. From Jones Gap, the trail quickly starts uphill and continues with a steady climb for a couple of miles. There are some beautiful views when the leaves are off the trees and several creek crossings. The middle section levels off and has more gradual ups and downs, which is a nice break before the steep downhill to Falls Creek Falls. We turned around at the falls and went back the way we came, but lots of people do this as a point to point or walk back to the park from the road. The steepness of the trail makes it take much longer than expected. Signage at the trail head says to plan for an hour a mile, we went a little faster than that, but spent a full 7 hours on the trail. One of the biggest perks of this trail is how few people you will come across, expect to be alone.

Tony Delgado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 7, 2021
HikingGreat!

From Jibes Gap ranger station, it was a pretty steady uphill for first couple miles. Lots of little stream crossings. Middle of the out and back is mostly ridge line so nowhere near as steep. Some scrambling. Plenty of mountain laurel middle of hike so probably very nice when blossoming. Some poison ivy vines on trees on trail. We enjoyed it and will be back!

Juliette Cheatham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 3, 2021
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

I absolutely loved this hike but water proof shoes are an absolute necessity!!! There will be several creek and waterfall crossings. Definitely a tough one, lots of scrambling up and down rocks but it’s great because it’s really varied offering views, water falls, creeks and all kinds of terrain! Jones State Park requires reservations Friday-Sunday and holidays for the time being because of COVID so make sure to reserve a parking place ahead of time. The state park has GREAT bathrooms that are heated and have indoor plumbing yay! We ended up walking back on the road once we got to the end Falls Creek Trail which saving us a lot of effort and about 2 miles totaling 10 miles back to the car.

Craig Horn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 20, 2020
Hiking

Have done this hike several times but never as an out and back -it's way to hard and long. Recommend a shuttle starting at the Fall Creek Falls trailhead because I'd hate to come down that way. The creek crossing at the falls is usually fairly easy but not today because of the amount of water. Made it though; even carrying my small dog in spots. Worth it to scramble up the right side to the second large falls. I always forget just how hard this trail is until I'm back on it.

Kristen Kennedy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 6, 2020
Hiking

I asked the park ranger for a challenge and he gave me one lol. First mistake. Great day though. I’m a lone female hiker but have two great dogs otherwise I realized I’m afraid of bears and the dark which kept me on a good pace. We passed a few hikers but most of the time had the trail to ourselves. I started at Jones gap, went to hospital rock, then to the falls. 6 miles there and 6 back. Total of 11.97 per my Apple Watch. Coming up from the falls on the way back my heart rate hit 205 lol. I literally was too afraid to stop though bc it was 1 pm and I didn’t know how long it would take me to get back and during the winter it gets dark early. Total time was 4:30 which I thought was badass and now I can barley walk lol. I loved rainbow falls trial at the park here as well and it was a little shorter. A few times I couldn’t find the markings and hoped for the best as the trail was covered with leaves. One time I took a wrong turn and scaled a mountain which led me to sliding back down it. Luckily I have some extra cushion in the booty from thanksgiving! Awesome hike. I was impressed.

Sandy Hunter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 5, 2020
View Sandy's activity
Billie Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 5, 2020

Definitely intense route started at Falls Creek area to half mile passed hospital rock. It’s 11 miles total if you stay on trail to end it’s probably total 15-17 who knows. It’s the hardest yet

Jeannine Bytwerk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 20, 2020
HikingBugsFeeOver grownWashed out

This trail wasn't for me. Not sure if we were just too tired from hiking 5 miles before this one, but it was too exhausting for me. We only made it to Hospital Rock, so not very far. The path was over grown in a few spots. I did appreciate the water along the way.

Brandy Mauldin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Trail was overgrown in a lot of areas and eroded in others. There were a few good views. The falls were beautiful and made the hike worth it. This is definitely not a hike I would repeat though.. We came back via the road because we wouldn't have had time to backtrack via the trail and get back to Jones Gap before they closed.

View Brandy's activity
Jennifer Munsey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 1, 2020
Hiking

This was a tough hike. When you're going up it's pretty steep and when you are going down, again it's very steep. Very few areas of level hiking or slower ascent/descent phases. The two waterfalls you see are beautiful and Hospital Rock is so colorful underneath. At Falls Creek Falls you must do a water crossing / rock hopping at the base of the falls. Look for the Purple blazes on the rocks to guide your path. Due to the constant flow of water and mist coming from the falls, many rocks are quite slippery. Hiking poles definitely help with stability and testing your footing. We left a vehicle at Falls Creek Falls Trailhead to shuttle us back to Jones Gap State Park.

View Jennifer's activity
Mason Muong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 26, 2019
Hiking

The hike was pretty easy in my opinion. All the trails are easy to navigate through. With paint on the trees to keep you on track. Not really a cool view when you get to the rock.

Lesli Montgomery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 21, 2019
HikingRockyScramble

What an amazingly beautiful but strenuous hike. We started at Jones Gap visitors center & ended at the Falls Creek Falls parking area next to Palmetto Bible Camp. It was a misty Monday morning & didn't encounter another soul until our descent from the Falls to the parking area. My Garmin clocked 7.53 miles with 3938ft elevation gain!!! Plenty of water in the falls after a good, weekend rain. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow (already am, actually). Oh, the mushrooms & flowers along the way were gorgeous!

Sam Hilliard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 13, 2019
Hiking

Really tough hike. I did not go all the way to the end...turned around at the falls. This hike is a ton of distance to get to the falls, and nothing to see on the way except a few large rocks. I enjoyed it, but it's tough! Steep to start, flattens out, then steep descent to the falls, then you get to so it in reverse! Coming up from the falls is really tough, so keep that in mind. Have to get around erosion in one spot...when you reach a large rock that has the yellow marking on it, you'll be confused as hell like I was how you're supposed to get past it...back track maybe 20 feet and go up and around. Falls are incredible, but keep in mind (as I said) that it's an almost 12 mile round trip for one waterfall.

Rebecca Phifer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 28, 2019

There is also a way to get the the falls from outside Jones gap near the Bible camp. It’s straight up hill and the trail is rough and washed out at some points but it is a beautiful falls.

Emma Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 10, 2019
Hiking

The trail is very laborious at the beginning with steep inclines. I would recommend waiting until there are leaves on the trees. We did it in early spring so there was no shade and it was very hot. A while after you reach hospital rock it gets much flatter and then works downhill to the waterfall. The water is not deep enough to swim I unfortunately.The trail was more taxing than we had originally planned for, so we returned via the roads. It was much quicker and easier, but still a pleasant walk as there were many flowers.

View Emma's activity
Marty Epp-Carter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 5, 2019
Hiking

I wanted a good hike with my dog to start the New Year off right but got a late start so by the time I got to the trailhead I only had an hour before the park closed. I pushed it and got a bit beyond the first little waterfall before having to turn back. Beautiful and challenging uphill. Forgot my hiking sticks. Those would help on the downhill for sure. Can’t wait to do it again.

Marcy Housel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 16, 2018

Love this trail. Beautiful waterfall and challenging hike.

Mike Cannon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 25, 2018

Tried to run this trail. took two friends. broke both my legs an hour into it. Frank lost his mind after 9 hours. We ran out of food by the third day. Joey ate a mushroom and died. I lost vision in my left eye on day 7. Frank chased a squirrell of the edge of a cliff and died. i only survived because i tripped and fell and rolled down to the bottom and landed in front of park ranger. dont attempt this trail.

Maryann Driscoll
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2018
Hiking

This trail is extremely steep going up and coming down. Once you get to the top, it’s fairly level but it’s hard to find the trail. The trail is covered with leaves, making it slippery. Hiking poles are a must for the decent. The waterfall is beautiful.

Billy Mulligan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 11, 2018
Hiking

Hospital Rock trail was great hiking but long. Watch out for the ticks in May. We had about 10 or 12 ticks that hitched a ride on each of us

Deran Dawson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2018
Hiking

Very hard hike.. Pleasant view from all angles. The waterfall was definitely worth the trip. A bit much of a hike for one day... I pushed my body to the limit and enjoyed every minute!!!

Brian Boru
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 19, 2017
Hiking

Great hike. Made it to Hospital Rock and about a half hour further up the mountain. Did not make it to the falls. It was challenging up the mountain as I carried a backpack with some weight. I was breathing like I was hyperventilating and loved the challenge. Really enjoyed this hike and will do it again. It was a gorgeous day and I was with two friends. I will sleep well tonight.

Amanda Loescher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 14, 2017

THIS IS CURRENTLY CLOSED OFF!