Historic Brattonsville Loop

Historic Brattonsville Loop is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near McConnells, South Carolina and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

The Bratton Trail is a 4 mile loop which winds it way around the 775 acres that make up Historic Brattonsville. There are several interconnecting trails that total another 4 miles. There are 2 lakes that you'll pass and you may see beavers. About 1/3 of The Patriot was filmed here and the visitor center has some artifacts on display from it. There is a nice picnic shelter just off the nature trail. There is a fee of $2 to hike but admission is free the 3rd Sunday of each month.

Cost is now $8 per person, even if you only want to hike the trail, and not view the buildings, etc. Removed this one from my list...

I have been there twice, and Brattonsville is a bit of a drive from anywhere. The first time I arrived at 9 am and it was not open yet: opens at 10. Next time I arrived at 10, but it was horse day on the trails, so no biking. And then I learned that it costs $5 to get on those trails. That's ok if you are touring the house and visiting the Christmas exhibits and all, but if all you wants a ride...So I never even rode them.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Loved the history of this place. More of a leisurely walk though. Not tough at all.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

My 1 year old and I hiked this area in early January and pretty much had the place to ourselves! Greatly maintained! I'm mainly giving this a 4 start because I truly appreciate historic locations being preserved and maintained! The people I encountered working here were anything but hospitable. The description isn't correct and the fee is $6 to walk the grounds and never free the third Sunday of the month.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

finally made it back and omg, the amount of spiderwebs is insane. even following a volunteer's vehicle, we were walking into them where we had to take mcclure trail back to start after going less than a mile in. was told it would be better in a few weeks but outside of the historic stuff in the beginning, there's not much to see.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Monday, May 11, 2015

tried to go today but found out it's closed on mondays, super bummed since i drove an hour to get there. i'll try another time, looked very interesting. 3 stars for what we were able to see before they kicked us out.