Hidden Falls Trail

Hidden Falls Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Rest, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A 2.75 mi hike that ends in a stunning waterfall.

Trail is fairly secluded and you won't see too many other hikers using it. The falls are decent but not something I would hike to often. I went when the water levels were low and the waterfall was not anything special. Fairly easy hike with most of the way back being moderate since it's uphill. There are spots on the trail that are a bit narrow. Overall a decent hike.

This is a nice little trail branching off the Foothills Trail in Oconee State Park. We only met two other couples the whole time we were out, and I understand that this is fairly normal for this trail (not very heavily traveled) but I don't know for sure. I would rate the hike easy to moderate, with only a few places that might challenge the inexperienced hiker/walker. Even the "hard" hills are pretty short lived, and they are concentrated near the falls. The rest of the trail is a walk in the woods. Even if you struggle, the hike is worth the effort for the waterfall at the end. It is small, but cool. You can climb up to it if you dare, but I personally don't recommend being too daring because it can be very dangerous. It is probably best enjoyed from down below. I gave this trail four stars because it has a waterfall; otherwise I feel it is a solid three stars, simply because it is an ordinary, no-frills foot path. Other then the waterfall, this is just like any other trail with no real views or high points. I love to walk in the woods, but to me, four stars has to be more than just a walk in the woods...it was the waterfall that did it.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Great trail! Waterfall was worth the hike- not much traffic either. My dog loved it!

Monday, July 04, 2016

One of the best experiences I've had. The trail wasn't too difficult, but the waterfall is worth any trek. Able to get in the waterfall and crawl around among the different tiers of the falls. Hardly any traffic on the trail, and we were the only people at the waterfall. Definitely a cool destination!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Monday, May 09, 2016

From the lake Oconee office we hiked around the lake till we came to the chestnut trail, which we followed until we saw signs for the hidden falls, took us from a little after 3pm till around 6:45pm. I would rate it a moderately difficult hike, with the most intensity coming in at the very end towards the falls. Watch your footing on the way out, the trail is narrow and the drop is pretty steep down into the leaves and tree tops. Be sure to bring water, a camera, and maybe a snack bar or two, and plan to be out before dark as it is black bear country.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

The trail was well marked from beginning to end. One section was slightly confusing as you walk down and old road bed for about 100 yards, then need to veer off on the trail to the left. It would have been easy to stay on the road bed. The last quarter of the hike to the falls was narrow with some switchbacks, edged by a steep drop. The falls were beautiful and not crowded during our time there. My wife and I spent about two hours laying on the rocks relaxing and listening to the falls.

Not recommended for dogs only because of the last quarter of the hike.