Guignard Clay Quarry Loop Trail

Guignard Clay Quarry Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Columbia, South Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

old growth

Loop trail through the wetlands in the Congaree Creek Heritage Preserve.

loved It my dad picked it

the path was narrow but very enjoyable.

Exciting trail, my dogs loved it. Even spotted a huge aligator

A little hidden gem, this is a nice trail if you're looking for a bit of an afternoon wetland getaway. Keep in mind, though, that much of it is impassable after a heavy rain.

It was hard to find road access to the trail, but the trail itself was gorgeous. My dog and I had a great time, as we came across no other people, but several squirrels, deer, and possibly an alligator. The trail does get muddy and narrow at some points, and the trail markers are not always prominent. We had to do some occasional searching to get back on the path. Overall it was a nice little hike, perfect for a beginner or novice hiker looking for somewhere quiet to explore. It will probably become a regular spot for my dog and I.

My favorite hike in the Columbia area. The Congaree Heritage Preserve land "is full of history in the,from Native Americans, to Civil War Battles, to being the place where the clay was dug ( at least owned and dug by the same company created them) , that created many of the bricks in the area, including those on the USC Horse Shoe. The terrain is gorgeous, but could be tough for some. Lovely "beach" area alongside the creek about halfway.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

I may try it again when it is cooler but today the bugs were excessive.
seemed like a neat place if I could have slowed down to enjoy the environment.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

My 4 star rating is due to proximity to town, unusual landscape and overall trail condition. A very nice relatively short day hike. I was here with the family in mid April 2016. Most of the flood damage from 2015 seems to have repaired. Some areas had heavy exposed roots that could result in unstable footing for some. The were no bug or snakes...yay! Regrettably we did not see any alligators .

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Watch where you walk and be prepared for having to be creative to avoid mud and puddles. Some parts can be challenging. The trail was well marked.