Forks Area Trail System (FATS)

Forks Area Trail System (FATS) is a 22.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clarks Hill, South Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A series of loops through a thickly forested area provide a great hiking or mountain bike experience for all levels of hikers and riders. You can get a feel of the mountains where some of the higher elevations provide panoramic views and the thick vegetation provides a home for many birds and animals. Although it is hilly, you aren't going to find many climbs that require a lot of effort or dismounts. For experienced riders, there are many sections where you have a choice of just rolling through, or going to one side to jump, and sections of ripples where you can also roll through or get air between them. The Great Wall offers a more of a challenge for experienced riders and may be difficult for beginners in places. Do NOT ride or walk around areas where the trail bed has been stabilized by rock. After heavy rain sections may be closed.

My wife and I went hiking yesterday and because we Did Not know nor understood the map instructions and were not prepared for the trails, we suffered a lot. We wanted to take the smaller trail, but we missed the entrance to it and ended up in the longest one (Red Trail). No water, No cellphone, No flashlight (it was about to get nighttime). Wife had Converse Shoes which are Not good for hiking like that. It could have gone real bad if it wasn’t for two Angels. The two Angels were running the trail we were in and as they passed by, they stopped and asked if were alright since we look awful. They offered sip of their drink and explained that that was the long trial and we still had about 4 miles to end at exit. They recommended to turn back which we did (about 3 miles back). That sip was a lifesaver. When we were close to the exit (about 1/2 mile), here comes the Angels looking out for us with a big nice cold bottle of water. They stayed w us until the exit and explained how the trail system works. I really want to Thank these two Angels. They are French and live in North Augusta. I wish I remember their names, but my brain was not all there. We Bless then with our prayers and thank God for their timing. If you see these or you know of them please send an email to jose.delvallex@yahoo.com. Lesson here, be prepared for these trails and understand how they are set up before you go in.

I've hiked four of the six trails Great Wall Loop, Deep Step, Big Rock and Tower. The trails on the South Trail head Great Wall Loop, Deep Step, Brown Wave and Skinny Loop are easy to find, and you usually have to share those trails with mountain bikers, which has never been a problem for us. There is a North Trail head, and that's where you can find Big Rock and Tower, their location isn't easy to find. You have to go a mile down Logging Road 661 and you will come to the parking lot( not very big), but that's where both the trailheads can be found. These Trails you usually have to yourself because of their location.

this place is beautiful with a very diverse set of trails. There are a lot of mountain bikers but they share the trails very well. Love It!

Great hiking! But it's very popular for off-road biking. if you prefer not seeing many people, a mid week hike is suggested.

Superbly built trail system with fast, flowy descents and some decent climbing. My favorite trail is the Brown Wave with its pine trees and well groomed turns.

Favorite hiking area.

Great beginner mountain biking trails

The trails are well kept and the amount of different trails make it so that I was never bored.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Awesome place to bike. Trails are great a lot of options without any big climbs. Brown wave is my favorite. Wouldn't recommend hiking it with all the bikers.

Monday, March 13, 2017

These trails are fun and swoopy. Not too much climbing. Big Wave is a blast! Went to the north trails too - Tower and Big Rock Loop. No mention here of the parking available for these trails. Parking can be found on the road that connects Woodlawn to Hopewell Church Road. Avoids a 7 mile road ride to get to these two trails.

Monday, February 27, 2017

When the weather is nice the main FATS trails get busy. For a little less traffic Big Rock & Tower are a great option. NW of the main FATS trailhead.
If you want the most elevation gain Deep Step is a good one. A bit more technical so not as many MTB riders if you are hiking.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

We hiked the Skinny. It was ok, not very scenic. It was all burnt barren woods. Mainly a biking trail. No animals or views.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Well maintained single track with moderate elevation changes throughout. Seems to get busy middays, empty in the morning hours. Good hike overall. I think rating it as "moderate" is overstating the difficulty level though

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Was only able to ride on one trail but it was great! Nice downhills, not too technical. Some nice windy sections to keep you on your toes. Nice scenery and even deer. Highly recommend.

Monday, December 26, 2016

Great riding, I will riding these trails again soon.

Friday, December 23, 2016

Excellent trails, will definitely be back for more

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Love it! Great for hiking or biking.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

awesome trails.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Awesome trail. Worth the drive.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

This trailhead is temporarily closed.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

fun trip with the family

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The family and I loved the trail. We took the dogs out with us and we all had a great hike going around Deep Step. Will have to check the other trails later on.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Great run but hard work

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

I didn't expect the mountain bike trail to be so awesome! I am a beginner with a non-suspension bike. I have VERY good rims and that's the only thing that saved me, Hahahaha! I did the skinny and wore my butt out. I survived, but my forks not so much. I'll be back with some suspension! I've ridden two other trails in different states, but this was the most gratifying!

Monday, September 07, 2015

Good day with the family and dog did the skinny and now are legs are feeling it the dog has never been happier

Sunday, August 09, 2015

Awesome. First time riding FATS. Rode Great Wall. Very nice, beautiful and challenging. Kept my attention.

Monday, June 01, 2015

Really thrilling. As a beginner, these are great!

Saturday, February 14, 2015

If you're accustomed to mountain biking in the mtns, this will be somewhat of a let down. That being said, these trails are very well kept and easy to ride. There are some fast areas and some great places to get some air. The trails can get VERY congested on nice weekends. If you're up for a real adventure, grab a few buddies, strap on some headlamps and ride the trails at night.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Hiked Skinny Loop. It is 6 miles, and I took approximately 2.5 hours to complete it. It is well marked with mile markers along the way! I must note that the distance from the trailhead to the loop is roughly a mile, which adds on almost 2 miles total.This isn't a problem unless you are like me and come later in the day - I was racing to finish before the sun completely set! Other than that, the inclines and declines were easily manageable, and the scenery is pretty great. Definitely feels like the National Forest it is!