Fork Mountain Trail

Fork Mountain Trail is a 14.9 mile out and back trail located near Mountain Rest, South Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Walhalla: Drive northwest on SC 28 for 7.5 miles and bear right onto SC 107. Continue on SC 107 for 14.5 miles to the junction of Oconee County S-413. The Sloan Bridge Picnic Area is approximately .5 miles ahead on the left. From the parking lot, walk north across the highway culvert that crosses East Fork Creek.

It is a challenging hike as many parts are partially or totally blocked by trees down. We counted 27 trees blocking on the first 5 miles. Good camp site area on Bad Creek. We went with 8 Boy Scouts and they loved the challenge, specially on the parts of the paths that were blocked and we had to go off to continue. Temperatures were low 40s during the day and close to 32 at night.

Hiked this one on 5-26-17. Saw all the blowdowns. Cleared 2 small ones. Had a run in with 2 Black Bears about 2 miles in. They took off as soon as they saw us. Very exciting. We hiked this as part of a loop with the Chattooga and Foothills trails totalling 18 miles back to Sloan Bridge.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Did this as part of a 12 mile day. Beautiful trail but riddled with blow downs that needed to be climbed over or under. Exhausting.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

i did this as part of the the foot hills trail, fork mt trail, Chattooga trail loop. over 17 miles all together

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

I did this as a loop starting at Sloan Bridge Picnic area to the Chattooga river on the first day. Then to Burrell's Ford the second day. Then followed the foothills trail back to Sloan Bridge Picnic area for around 20 miles. A great backpaking trip for my two sons and I. Plenty of water available while you are by the river. The Fork mountain trail needs some TLC more than a bow saw can fix. Getting back into backpacking had a great time will go again.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Fairly uneventful trail other than climbing over, under, and the many deadfalls. I did this trail as a loop, Foothills Trail from Burrell's Ford, Fork Mountain Trail to the Chatooga Trail to Burrell's Ford. It's not marked very well so pay attention. I spent the night on this trail and never saw another soul which made me appreciate the Ellicott Rock "Wilderness".

Friday, October 21, 2016