Firebreak Trail

Firebreak Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Columbia, South Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy hike not much to see but the great outdoors

Very well marked! Some areas of washout as it had rained the previous day. The creek also was difficult to pass. Overall, very nice trail but wouldn’t recommend kids under 10 or so as it is a longer route. Definitely will hike again!

Took my baby out on this trail today in his child carrier pack, we had a blast! It took me about 2 hours to go the loop. There are a few rocky parts and one area where you have to step over a small wet weather stream on rocks. The beginning of the hike is nice and closed with trees and undergrowth all around, but the East part of the trail really opens up nicely.

A decent hilly hike through a forest. Some of the trail junctions can be a little confusing, but the forest service has an app you can use to track your location on the trails, and cell service was good throughout the hike. This is an actual firebreak trail, so there are burn areas throughout, and very little fauna, but it's still a pleasant forest hike.

Real nice trail. Well-marked all the way through.

Nice trail.

Great introduction to the trails of Harbison State Forest. Easy parking, just be sure to have $5 in cash for the day parking permit. An annual pass is only $25 for this amazing park in Columbia, SC.

rode part of this trail until it conected to the stewardship trail (believe that was the name). nice wide trails.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

great trail

Monday, April 10, 2017

Easy beginner trail.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Good all around hike. Saw very few other people. A little muddy in areas and we had to cross a shallow stream at one point (it had just rained recently) but overall easy hike and well marked.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

My first dedicated hike and I had a great time. I would rate this trail a little more than easy, closer to moderate.

Monday, December 26, 2016

Perfect Christmas Day hike before dinner!!

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Nice hike! Easy to follow! Lots of bikers though.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

This was our first time to Harbison State Forest and it was a pleasant experience. This trail is nice and easy. There is some hilly terrain and there are some areas where there are a lot of areas that had a lot of rocks so if you're walking make sure you're wearing good shoes! The trails are very clearly marked which was great. There are a lot of bikers on these trails but everyone we met was super friendly. Would definitely do this trail again and I can't wait to do the rest of the trails in the forest!

Friday, October 21, 2016

Nice fast trail. I hiked it with my dog.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Great trail ,do not suggest running it fast the unseen rocks and roots can be a problem if tired

Monday, September 26, 2016

Well marked, no vistas, $5 to use

Monday, July 18, 2016

Nice run.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

It was immediately apparent that this was a far more forested area than the Sesqui State Park. It wasn’t wilderness, I never lost the sound of the highway (though it did grow faint). The trail, though cleared, wasn’t paved. It narrowed and was often rocky and broken up with roots from the surrounding pines and pin oaks. The grade changed a good bit over terrain that was quite hilly, and that is the apparent reason for the trail’s “moderate” rating. I could feel the difference, though it never became too much for me.

The trail was blazed with white paint splotches on trees and a couple of white metal diamonds. It was a sparse blaze, but enough to verify I was staying on the right trail (nine are listed in the Trail Guide). The trail intersections were well-marked, though, and I was never confused over where I was at.

Overall, a nice little trail that's moderately challenging for a new hiker.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Perfect weekend morning hike.

Friday, June 20, 2014

Since I'm a novice "mountain" biker - not sure how to rate this trail but we had a fantastic time. Maps were confusing and we ended up doing a few trails... Definitely didn't do the Spiderwoman one. Can't imagine how that would be because there were some rough parts of this one - remember - I'm novice... but I loved it!! I've lived in Columbia 15 years and have never been here but GUARANTEED - as Arnold says...."I'll be back!"..
Oh... and one 16 oz. bottle of water is not enough!! LOL

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Trail was an easy hike. Great for families since it's completely flat and trails are easily marked. I expected it to be a little more scenic but I didn't see anything at all.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Rode this trail with my 8 year old daughter recently while training for a family adventure race. It was the first time I've ridden this trail in its entirety in a long time as I usually take the Lost Creek trail or the outer loop. I was pleased with how well the trail has been maintained. A nice and easy 4 mile loop if your looking for a quick ride.

Monday, May 13, 2013

This is a great hike with lots of chances to see the creek and the Narrows. What a great time me and my dad had today.

Monday, May 13, 2013

This is a beautiful area. The waterfall is easily accessible, and their is even a trail that will take you to a marvelous view after you
Have tracked down to the falls. A must if your in the area.

Great hike!!!!!

Monday, May 13, 2013

This is a great hike. Once you reach around 1.5 miles you will be able to cut off and go down to the narrows. The site is amazing, and you will get to see all kinds of great scenery. Definite hike if your in the area. Not great of you have dogs or kids as the hike down is extremely strenuous.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Very easy trail, lots of pointless switchbacks that get you nowhere really fast but the pinestraw covered trail is fast and smooth. I usually hit this to connect to Midlands Mountain and Spiderwoman. Ridiculous rock garden which was man-made...kinda like riding over a pebble or two....Really dont understand why someone would take the time to make that! You may ride over it and not realize that someone put it there to make the trail more technical. funny!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

My personal favorite of the Harbison trails. Overall a little more technical than some of the others and often closed whenever the area has had recent rainfall. You can find the trailhead located on the connector trial between the Firebreak trail and the Stewardship trail.