Falls Creek Waterfall Trail

Falls Creek Waterfall Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near River Falls, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This a great little workout, a bit much for the toddlers but okay for the pre teen crowd. The hike starts uphill and stays that way for a good while. There are some flat stretches mixed in and a couple stream crossings. Being this short the hike reaches the falls before your to tired to enjoy the falls and they are beautiful. You can cross at the base of the falls and hike up the trail on the other side for a great picnic spot. If the water is high when you go you can decide to climb up the cables to the upper part of the falls. A great workout with an awesome payoff. Enjoy, See you on the trail!

10/15/2018 The hike is medium/hard in my opinion. Definitely worth the hike. The falls are fantastic. We hiked with two adults and 4 kids(7,5,3,2). 2 year old was in a kelty kid carrier. For us it was a 2 hour hike to the falls and the trip back was 1 hr 15 minutes back. We took a few breaks. A lot of uphill on the way that flattens out just for a short break then uphill with a little downhill.

Gorgeous waterfall at the end but a long and a bit strenuous of a hike. Round trip 3 miles. Well traveled and wide path.

Short but strenuous 2 miles uphill hike to the top with an INSANE waterfall. So worth it. Well marked with purple circles on trees. Highly recommend!!

a very tall two tier falls. first section is normal plunge second is Cascade. very steep to get to falls but worth it

We didn’t believe it when we started that it would be strenuous, but it definitely was. It was a great work out that ended with a gorgeous view and one of the tallest waterfalls I’ve seen. This receives a 4/5 for me due to a few factors:
1. Parking- a little odd, and not much of it. We were the only ones on the trail so it wasn’t an issue.
2. There is a lot of shrub/logs that have fallen at the base of the waterfall and not a great area to gather for hanging out. We had brought our hammocks but were unable to find a good spot to hammock.
Over all, I’d do it again for the view and workout!

Amazing hike on a perfect day. Definitely hard. Especially, for our Yorkie, but she did really well. We followed all the purple markers even though they took us away from the sound of the river. Of course, they did lead us to the falls. What a payoff! We didn't check the bottom falls but made the climb to the upper falls and layed out on a dry rock. Gorgeous!

Amazing hike and the waterfall at the end is breathtaking, far exceeding my expectations. Well-marked trail in purple. Several very steep inclines but doable. It took me about 30 min to get in and 25 back. I’m under 30 and exercise daily and I was sweaty and pretty tired when I finished, so great little workout, too

A great short hike. The waterfall at the end is really beautiful. Gets a little hard at some places, otherwise a moderate hike. I will not suggest taking kids because there are few points with pretty steep and slippery climb.

Moderate uphill hike with roots and boulders along the way, but the waterfalls are beautiful and well worth the effort!

Hiked up on 8/4 with the whole crew of kids- 9, 8, 6, and 4- its a little steep at some parts but definitely doable for kids- great falls at the top- if you go up the right side of the falls there’s a better spot 1/2 way up to rest and have lunch/snack

Very rainy solo hike in the AM on 8/3, due to the rain the trail was completely empty. This isn't a great trail to do in the rain as the food path basically works as a slippery clay drainage creek. Other than getting very wet, it's an enjoyable short trail with some interesting boulders and nice waterfalls which were at peak capacity due to the current monsoon season. I know the trail is rated hard, but it's actually very easy as it's really short and the climbs are moderate. Up near the falls you do have to scrabble around a bit but it's not technically challenging. I think this would be a great hike for kids 8+ due to the length and interesting elements. I plan to do it again with the family in tow next time.

Loved this trail! It is fairly difficult and a steep incline 80% of the way up, but the waterfall and mountain views were truly worth it. We highly suggest doing this if you’re looking for something with some challenge. We got stuck in a thunderstorm and it was still not too bad.

Really fun trail! Almost all up hill on the way there but it’s worth it to see the gorgeous waterfall.

My 6 yr old had no problem! it was great

Definitely a bit challenging with the roots and some steep terrain but 100% worth it for the beautiful waterfall!!

As good as it gets for a medium hike. It is very strenuous and steep, and you must traverse roots and rocks, but there are some easy inclines and declines along the way.
It was brutally hot and bug-infested the day I went. The payoff is worth it. The trail of s decently marked and maintained. Keep to the left, when in doubt, on the way up. Look up from the bottom of the falls by taking a small steep trail.
One of my favorites in SC!

Short but tough hike. The falls are beautiful with an option to hike higher and see more of the falls! I would not recommend taking your toddler like I did :)

This trail is a great uphill workout and if you are looking for that sort challenge this is the trail for you because all your efforts are rewarded with an AMAZING waterfall at the end. It is grand - almost Undisturbed- peaceful. My 10 and 11 year old boys did this with me and we had the waterfall to ourselves for two hours. Well worth the hike. Easy access. Easy parking.

Very strenuous hike but well worth it.

Definitely a strenuous trail, as there are plenty of areas you’ll need to climb up rocks and roots on steep hills. Mostly uphill with a few areas where it evens out. But it’s worth it when you reach the beautiful waterfall. Plenty of rocks to sit and relax, and enjoy the view and cool mist of the falls before you trek back down. Would not recommend for small children (it could be dangerous in a few places). Took us 2 hours (both ways).

Not too good of hiking shape as of yet, this one got me a few times. Up hill most of the way to the waterfall. The payoff was well worth this short whooping. Felt like an ac outdoor room.

One of the best waterfalls in the upstate in my opinion. It’s a little strenuous to get to because you’re at a steep incline and basically climbing but it’s worth it. It took our group a little under an hour to reach the falls and that’s with taking two short breaks. There are two different paths you can take right at the end to get two different views. Only downfall for me was that there was not really a landing to sit down and have lunch or just hangout and also no where for my dog to enjoy the water lol but she still got a good workout in for the day. Will return.

A bit grueling if you don't have proper footwear. A lot of rocks and stumps and it's all uphill. The hike itself is not that scenic but once you get to the waterfall it's worth the hike.

Ohmigosh! This hike was strenuous and the falls were gorgeous! At the trailhead, it states that it takes about 2 hours each way but we completed it in just over an hour each way (and we took several stops because we were so winded). We packed a nice lunch had had the best little picnic on the middle part of the falls. I will definitely do this again! I would not recommend this for young kids or kids that complain a lot. It was UPHILL most of the way up with an elevation gain of around 1000 feet! Well worth the hike. Pictures don’t do it any justice!

Absolutely stunning waterfall to look forward to at the end! Very strenuous hike, however. Completely uphill, with tons of rocks and roots to watch for. Entirely worth the work to see the falls, though! :)

A bit too much for younger children. The falls is beautiful and worth the hike.

gorgeous hike and falls, but when they say strenuous they aren't kidding around.

Very steep and difficult about halfway into the trail but worth it! Falls were absolutely beautiful. Great place to swim

Definitely understand-estimated this trail. I brought ppl with me that usually don’t hike (son & husband). I told them since y’all don’t hike we will go on a short trail. Haha jokes on me this trail made me look like a hmmm...You start out uphill and it continues that way. I can’t tell how many times I stopped or wanted to turn back. BUT I couldn’t quit! I knew it would be worth it when we reached the top and of course it was!! The falls were so beautiful and refreshing!!! Coming down was much easier for sure. I will definitely try it again soon.

Strenuous but totally worth it. The falls are beautiful