Falls Creek Waterfall Trail

Falls Creek Waterfall Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cleveland, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 826 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This a great little workout, a bit much for the toddlers but okay for the pre teen crowd. The hike starts uphill and stays that way for a good while. There are some flat stretches mixed in and a couple stream crossings. Being this short the hike reaches the falls before your to tired to enjoy the falls and they are beautiful. You can cross at the base of the falls and hike up the trail on the other side for a great picnic spot. Please note: the cables at the base of the water fall has been removed.

My dog loved this trail, me on the other hand, definitely underestimated it! Despite the short distance it’s tough. Pretty much starts uphill, evens out a little bit in the middle, but the last leg is the toughest. The falls are beautiful, keep climbing all the way to the top, there’s a really cool view. Don’t go after it’s rained, a lot of mud and red clay and it could get sketchy.

Was a brisk 45 minute hike. The views at the top are awesome. Nice cool mist blowing from the water. Surely worth the trip

My hubs and some other members of upstate Ultra runners cleared this trail with help of a Jones Gap park ranger on Saturday, 2 weeks ahead of the Jones Gap marathon, so we decided to return on Sunday together. It was a great hike, freshly cleared of brush and overgrowth by the runners, beautiful weather and not muddy. We followed the purple trail all the way to Hospital Rock trail (orange trail) and continued down all the way into Jones Gap State park entrance before walking the road back to where we parked (at the falls creek trailhead), for a total of 10.5 miles. There was some serious climbing and butt scooting on rocks to descend safely! The waterfalls certainly worth the hike! If you can find parking at the trail head on a day when there’s a line of cars waiting to get in the park, you could definitely get your hiking miles in without having to wait an hour or two to drive into the park. Lots of water, snacks and good trail shoes are essential.

Will get the blood pumping and legs burning. Beautiful waterfall. Parking for 3 vehicles. Up and down in one hour twenty minutes. 8/25/2019

It's a strenuous hike but will worth it! You're pretty much going up most of way there. It is well marked with purple.

definitely an exercise and sighting of bears but far far away

Great trail, not for “just a quick hike “. Great water falls

Nice hike. The beginning elevation is not too tough and goes by some neat rocks and stream. It starts getting a bit more steep and the trail becomes switchbacks with some pretty eroded spots. We went off trail 3 times by accident but no harm and it was easy to find our way back on. Make sure you check out the upper viewing and base viewing of the falls - each are fantastic. Honestly, these falls are gems and well worth the hike out. We did cross the base of the falls and followed the trail another 1.5 up, up, up. It was not terribly exciting to see and briars grew over several areas of the trail. The upper portions were less steep and the trees thinned outs bit. Sadly, no epic views for all that climbing (1700 feet) We were richly rewarded back towards the bottom on the return by seeing a HUGE mom bear and FOUR cubs! We were safely distanced from her and she ran before we had a chance to leave her alone - apparently we all had a healthy wariness of each other! Enjoy!

The falls are GORGEOUS, but I definitely underestimated this hike! A lot more scrambling than I thought there would be. Though trees are marked throughout the hike (in purple), sometimes it was hard to determine which trail to take. I missed the trail going down to the base of the waterfalls (and, believe me, at that point the last thing I wanted to do was more hiking UP haha). If you are wanting to make it to the base - When you first see the big waterfalls through the forest (and your left will clear a little bit so you can see the mountains close by), take the trail on your left going down that look like they are going to the base. I’m assuming if you keep climbing, you get to the top of the falls. My dog, though not the most agile of creatures, is a wonderful hiking buddy but had a hard time scrambling up on some steep parts with me and had slipped on the wet rocks at the base. Though I’m sure some dogs would rock the hike, I would not bring him next time. Most helpful advice I can give - use the recording part of the All Trails app!

Beautiful falls! Definitely a workout. Saw about a dozen people but it was 4th of July. Great hike!

Hiked it this morning .. well deserved “Hard” rating .. You will get a workout

excellent quick workout. My kids and I hiked the trail there and back in less than an 1 and a half. The Waterfall is magnificent!! It is definitely up hill but that is great for the buns

Lovely hike, moderate to strenuous pretty well marked, but some blow down has caused several reroutes that aren't mark. I could spend hours just looking at the waterfall at the end! *Parking is obscure and limited*

Difficult but gorgeous!

Beautiful waterfall!

A tough trail, but so worth the hike. The falls are beautiful. There are a number of tree's down along the path, but still able to get through.

Definitely a tough trail but exciting and well worth it when you get to the falls. I went with a friend who had very little hiking experience and she was challenged but completed it with flying colors!

It was raining when we got started. It is washed out and muddy in many places, so footing can be an issue in wet conditions. It is uphill most of the way, but I did it with my six year old and she was fine. Six is about the youngest age I would try on this trail. Great waterfall at the end. Definitely worth the effort.

Breath taking views of falls! Definitely a strenuous hike but so worth it!

Beautiful waterfall. Steep uphill/downhill sections. One stream crossing.

Not too difficult, Jones Gap is one of my favorite places to hike. "The Gap" usually has cooler temps.

I’m 66 and just getting back into hiking after a long time off. Not the best condition but have been working out for 3 months. This trail was pretty tough for me, but taking my time I did it. Great falls. Limited parking. Probably would not do it again solo since it is steep and a lot of tripping hazards descending for an old guy.

This hike is just tough. It starts up and then flattens out. I thought, wow, not bad... then it just turns straight up. I took my time and rested often. The reward was just "Wow". I did this hike in the early spring. You can see the falls from the trail head if you know where to look and no leaves on. It's amazing the beauty that is tucked back in the mountains. You just have to be willing to work for it to see it.

Completed with my girlfriend. Definitely tough if you’re not in shape, but take your time and it’s definitely doable.

Good leg day alternative.

Great hike! It was really tough at sections because the incline doesn’t really give for the entirety of the hike. Slow and steady and you’ll get to those gorgeous falls! My dog loved it and I loved the glut burn! It took about an hour and a half - we didn’t take many breaks, though.

I would reccomend this trail for anyone wanting to feel a good glute burn. It was an easy to follow trail perfect for my 2 dogs, there were a couple of trees down but it just added to the challenge and adventure. I will say it is my favorite trail that I have done so far because of all the scenery along the route and the amazing waterfall at the end of the trail. Though it was a bit challenging it was well worth the views and happiness of my doggos. My husband and I arrived at around 6:00PM and only ran into 2 parties on the trail, it was a beautiful day out and a decent temperature. All together it was an amazing trail and I know I will definately do it again.