Congaree Swamp Loop

Congaree Swamp Loop is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hopkins, South Carolina that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

canoeing

This trail follows an old dirt and gravel hunting road that connects Congaree National Park's Boardwalk Loop Trail with the Weston Lake Loop Trail. Raised nearly 6 feet above the forest floor, the Elevated Boardwalk winds through a diverse old-growth forest. Use the self-guided brochure and listen for woodpeckers hammering away in the tall trees above. The Elevated Boardwalk ends at Weston Lake, an old channel of the Congaree River.

Simple boardwalk loop. Congaree is nice for a swampy area, (not my favorite scenery) but it had its unique beauties. As of 8/27, there are lots of banana spiders and other little spiders.

With the river flooded this trail was one of the only options. It offered an easy stroll along the boardwalk. Ideal for birdwatching and observing the swamp ecosystem. Not very challenging but peaceful all the same.

Good but the trails need work

OK I'm not going to recommend kyacking here by yourself! but as far as a hike around the boardwalk it was awesome! there was a huge amount of wildlife

Friday, November 11, 2016

This trail actually had a mosquito meter and it's well worth it to check it out. This is a swamp so after a good rain it is wet and slippery. Beautiful flora and fauna and loads of wildlife. Feral hogs so keep an eye on your pups. Had one get completely out of her harness to have a look and we had to plough through muck to go get her. There is a boardwalk and a trail, in fact a few well marked trails and some are quite long. The boardwalk is no dogs allowed. We really enjoy this trail but it is clearly for hiking, not a breezy walk amongst the trees but have a look. It's well worth it.

Monday, October 31, 2016

Interesting walk through the swamp with views of Cypress trees , wildlife . Hot and lots of bugs in the summer.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I hiked this trail in June of 2016. You walk on the boardwalk, passing by bald cypress trees, tupelo trees and loblolly pine trees. It is a beautiful area.

Here is a short video I made of the pictures we took along the hike.

Monday, July 04, 2016

I've heard this national park referred to as the worst national park in America. I haven't been to all 59, but I have been to a dozen or so, and this is by far and away the worst that I've been to.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Nice easy hike. Water features.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Great and a very easy hike. Wheelchair accessible too.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

It's a great hike; very scenic. But beware of the snakes sunning themselves along the trail. Look ahead closely before walking an looking up. And you will look up with the amazingly huge trees along the way.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

You just walk on boards over the swamp. Some are more elevated in spots. It's nothing special; or at least not to me. Some of the boardwalk is closed allegedly because of storm damage as of March 2016.

Friday, March 11, 2016

I graded this "trail" only on the condition of the surface. There are a few boards starting to come up. Those that are not sure-footed may want to be aware of this to prevent a fall. The boardwalk is made out of wood and has benches scattered throughout for ones needing to rest or watch whatever may be out there. I didn't get to walk the eastern side of the boardwalk because it is closed for storm repairs.

Friday, March 11, 2016

This rating is only on the condition of the trail. It is flat and is very well maintained. The views are typical for the area.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Connector trail, but good if you want to add some more distance to your hike.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

A very unique place...amazing trees with wonderful wildlife. I saw several beautiful pileated woodpeckers near the boardwalk...and the noise of their pecking accompanies you everywhere.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

My child's third grade class went here for a field trip and we all enjoyed it very much. We've gone back on our own several times.The boardwalk forms a square and the hike was ranger led. They regularly have ranger led trips for the public. There are many other trails throughout the park, as well as free tent camping and free (with a hard to get reservation) canoe trips. We will continue to visit.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

From the Visitor center you can take the Low boardwalk trail down to the Weston Lake Loop trail and back along the Elevated Boardwalk or the Sims trail for a beautiful hike. That is, if the water is too high which it was the day we went. The Low boardwalk was flooded, the Elevated boardwalk was closed for repairs and the Sims trail was also covered with running water. Suggest you call the park before you go to make sure the trails are open and, even if they say they are, I suggest taking waterproof boots. I do plan on coming back since the scenery is fantastic.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Thank goodness we were here when it was nice outside; in the heat and humidity of the summer, this has to be a mosquito-infested swamp. The trail and boardwalk and maintained well, but I'm honestly surprised this is categorized as a national park. It feels MUCH more like a state park. The drive in takes you through some pretty rundown areas, and the hike itself was uneventful and mildly boring. Meh.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pretty neat hike with some huge trees. Probably a favorite hike in Columbia. Saw a family of armadillos along the trail (don't pet, spread diseases!).