Chestnut Ridge Heritage Preserve Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Glassy, South Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Love this trail and I personally love all the unleashed dogs being able to get in and out of the creek and explore. I’ve never had a problem with any of them. The sign says a dog must be kept under your control, not that it must be leashed. Obviously if a dog is not under your control or doesn’t greet people with civility you should use the leash.

The trail is easy until you get to some “stairs” a good way in. And there’s water for the dogs all along the way. But if you go up these stairs you lose the creek and it gets a lot more strenuous. So be prepared to take water for the dog with you if you want to hike the whole thing.

Backpacked this trail on a day that it had been raining so I can not speak to the amount of people or the dogs. We saw no one at all and the forest was still very sleepy. If you want beautiful vistas, this is not the trail for you. Imagine being constantly surrounded by foliage, if you enjoy that, this is for you. There is a waterfall on the map but it is about .2 of a mile from the stream that the trail ends at. We didn't venture across the stream due to the threat of flash flooding that day and did not see a trail. There are no blazes at all however the trail is well worn and easy to follow. Couple spots are close to being eroded away but it appears trail maintenance has come through recently as alot of dead-fall had been cleared. All in all a fairly unremarkable trail but it was time well spent.

This trail is easy for kids and dogs so in that regard I really enjoy it. However, the views are ok and the real payoff is at the very end so it’s a bigger commitment. The day we went it was very buggy. You do follow a little stream for a bit. I would walk it again because it’s close to Landrum. We didn’t do the whole trail this outings but have in the past.

Currently marked “Trail Closed.” Best we could tell is some erosion at the river/creek
crossing (.75m) and a grouping of felled trees blocking the path (1.75m). Nice stroll.

Nice trail however , unleashed dogs , sometimes in large groups , continue to be an issue as people just seem to be ignoring the signs and rules . This is a shame as it can put a damper on an otherwise enjoyable hike .

We went on a beautiful evening and were the only people on the trail. Because this was our first trip here and we also have young children (6&10) we only did a 1 mile in 1 mile out but it was great, and we will be back again to try for more distance. But we will definitely remember the bug spray next time!

Love this preserve but it can feel pretty crowded on weekends. Folks let their dogs run loose- not ideal.

Excellent hike with moderate climb

Spectacular day for a hike - dogs loved it. Well trained dogs have no issues at all, we had a blast!

Beautiful well maintained trail - great workout. Downside is lots of hikers w untrained dogs let them go off leash. We were charged by dogs twice.

Probably one of my favorite trails so far... so much change in scenery. I went right after it had rained, there was no one else out there, the the creek beside me was full. The incline changes frequently so you end up getting a pretty good workout, and there is a beautiful river at the bottom.

Good short hike.

completed in about two and a half hours. A great trail close to home, yet apparently a well kept secret! Much snow was still on the river side, making the trail very slippery. It was the first time I'd ever hiked with my shirt off while stepping on snow! you have to love southern weather! I'll be back! By the way, if you recently lost a pair of gray eyeglasses, I hung them on the bulletin board at the main entrance.

Decent hike. Wasn’t too hard. Theres a river at the end of it where you can relax a bit before heading back.

Great Sunday morning hike

Awesome hike today, started at 10AM, about 17F, got up to about 33F by the time we were done. Saw 5 people out on this hike, will definetely do it again.

Last minute trail run with my neighbor. Not bad at all. First run in a long time so I’m looking forward to running this entire trail.

Thursday, November 02, 2017

I first tried the trail for a fishing trip which turned out not as well as I wanted due to unleashed dogs jumping into the river. So I began running it and to my surprise it still continues to have unleashed dogs. I think it’s because of how remote the area is, people feel no one else will be on the trail. This is my only complaint. While running a trail it surely doesn’t sit well with some dogs...

Thursday, November 02, 2017

Always a quiet trek.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Great easy hike and beautiful big wide river at the end. Perfect for a summer hike and river dip at the end! Wide flat trail. About 2 hours out and back.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Beautiful trail parts were fairly strenuous but overall I had a peaceful exhilarating hike. The woods were lush and the rick formations and river were beautiful.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Fallen tree! Happened this morning just before reaching the creek. The tree contain a huge yellow jacket nest, and they were not happy campers about their home being upset.

Not sure who to contact about the trail maintenance. The tree will need to be cut. It was a really big tree and no way around it. Had to turn back. It's about .25 miles from the creek. Beware of the bees!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

moderately easy trail.

Monday, May 29, 2017

It's a great trail. Moderate trail, great to take kids to it

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Great difficulty level, and nice views.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Pretty trail. Well maintained. Lots of Spring wild flowers.