Chattooga Trail from Lick Log and Pig Pen Falls

Chattooga Trail from Lick Log and Pig Pen Falls is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Rest, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and fishing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 387 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail could also be hiked point-to-point ending at Highway 28.

Great trail, began on the foothills as indicated in the description. The old forest with ancient pines was quite spectacular. There is some fantastic camping and fishing right on the river approximately 2 miles in? 2.5 maybe? Trail was clearly marked, although the description in All Trails had me a little confused about the what we would find at the turn around spot. To be clear it was just a very still section of the Chattooga. The falls were in the beginning not midway down this trail as the recording would suggest. We went roughly three miles before turning back. Over all, give this trail a 4 for beauty, easy to find and navigate, and plenty to see and do. It closely matched the description though the turn around was not clearly defined and for some reason I had it in my head there was a definitive turn around spot.

Great for beginners. Moderate elevation changes and a few narrow spots but the views are worth it!

gorgeous. beautiful territory.

This trail was so beautiful. Plenty of views of the river and rock cliffs. Plenty of places to camp.

Great hike in and out with beautiful spots all along the way. For those who are inexperienced with hiking, I would consider this moderate instead of easy for the distance and the trail itself with a good portion of it being uneven terrain with roots coming up from the ground and some parts that are narrow with cliff drops. The hike back out would be the more difficult with an incline all the way back up. Bring plenty of water on hot humid days.

Friday, June 22, 2018

Very nice Hike, the waterfalls were beautiful and rolling really well. the trail was shaded even with the heat it's not that bad.

Friday, March 16, 2018

The road getting to the trail was a little rough. You drive over two creeks. The trail is beautiful. The waterfalls are clean and flowing strong.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

I fly fished the chatooga. started at burells ford. beautiful trail and so very easy. Great Day!

Sunday, January 07, 2018

This fall is actually broken up by an upper and lower Licklog Falls. The upper are hard to get a good photo op of as there is no way to get close to them but they are a sight to enjoy. The lower falls are a short ways up but there is a steep trek down to them. I saw a review that stated not for children but we had three 11 year olds and one 8 year old who had no issues.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

We started at the Ridley Fields Parking lot on 28 and followed the marked trail for about 4.2 miles to Lick Log and Pig Pen Falls. Walking back we chose to follow a second trail that takes you right along the river. There are several nice spots to take a break (I think I remember seeing 3 fire pits) and plenty of opportunities for some great photos. We didn't encounter any hikers, just a couple of guys fishing (cold December day!) It was a very pleasant hike with beautiful views of the river (especially on our way back!)

Saturday, November 18, 2017

I parked at he trailhead on Rt 28 and am only familiar with this section about 2-3 miles in. The river is beautiful with clear clean water. It was recently stocked with trout so I encountered frequent fly fishermen. Be prepared for COLD nights at this time of year. Although the trail follows the river, the trail is up on the hillsides so it is not viewable or approachable for the first half. Also there are no campsites at all along this part. At what I estimate the halfway point the trail drops down to the river, where it joins a well used unmarked trail which closely follows the river. Just past this point is a great campsite which is suitable for several campers. Its flat, open, right on the river, and has a nice firepit with seating. On hiking out, I took this unmarked trail which all the fishermen use to return to the parking area. It has several nice campsites along it also. This trail is easy to follow and starts at the parking area . It starts just to the left of the designated trail and has a large tree blocking the trail from vehicular traffic. I would definitely use it next time. Its far better than the official Chatooga trail. This trail is suitable for families and unleashed dogs, I took my Lab. Hope this review helps.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Good starting hike

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Great trail and pretty easy. Some beautiful river views and access. Wonderful hike on a beautiful Labor Day. Would definitely hike again and would enjoy camping.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Beautiful easy trail

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

not well marked at all, lined with private drives. one such residence let their 3 Huskies run loose, which met us at the end of their drive and stood and barked, the path led past them.i had to scream at them to get them to back off. I had my 4 year old and 8 mo with me, and I wasn't chancing a dog bite, so we turned around and left without seeing anything. very disappointing. I suggest carrying a really big stick

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Our daughter absolutely loved this hike and had a blast playing in the pool at Pigpen with her cousin. There was a tree down blocking the trail between Pigpen and Licklog the first time we visited, but we have gone back to play at Pigpen again and got to go check out Licklog. Definitely worth the easy hike.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Several nice but well used camping areas along the trail that are either creek side or along the wider Chattooga. Sites are roomy and offer space for tents. We hammock camp so some sites had trees too far apart but we had no trouble finding a good spot. The hike in is very easy with a down slope. Hiking out with your gear is still easy but you are hiking out and slightly up. There are three really lovely waterfalls. The first, Pigpen is smaller and has a great wading pool. Safe enough even for younger children. Upper Licklog is viewed from the trail and is scenic. Lower Licklog can be accessed by a steep side trail but is worth the trip down and up. Early June is stunning because the rhododendrons are in bloom. Trail can be narrow and roots slick.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Great easy trail, nice camp spots beside river. We found a rope swing at one of the campsites that the kids enjoyed. Great summer hike. Best early before crowds arrive . Trail is narrow in places, be careful with small kids. Hike down to the falls is worth it.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

nice hike lots of time beside the river

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Walked to lick log and pigpen falls from Nicholson ford then backtracked north on the Chattooga River trail to Big Bend falls. Beautiful walk. The trip to lick log and pigpen falls from the parking area was an easy hike in and out. The last few yards down to the river and the base of the falls were steep and treacherous. From Nicholson ford to the river and back is only right at 2 miles but the walk a little further north or south on the Chattooga River trail is worth the effort.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Great hike on 2/19/17. Parked at Russells bridge lot on 28 at the SC/GA line, hiked 3.5 miles before encountering our first person (backpack camper), then some father/son campers near the falls. Great day and weather. Was a total of 9 miles in and out. I'll be back to see that beautiful Chatooga on this hike.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Great hike ! Steep trail down to falls but well worth it! Beautiful waterfall and great view of Chatuga River.

Monday, April 18, 2016

we took a group of friends (non-hikers) and our three dogs with us on this hike. since it's point to point we started at Ridley Field and wanted to have another car at Burrells. Well, what an adventure that was! There is no cell service whatsoever in Mountain Rest and none of the locals can give accurate directions to Burrells. This caused us to start three hours after we had planned to. However, we really enjoyed the hike! We didn't make it as far as planned on day 1 since we started so late and it was getting late in the day, (we were with non hikers who were ready to be done) we made it about 8 miles in and found a campsite right off the trail. My husband and I slept with a dog each in our hammocks by the river and our friends all brought tents, their dog slept with them. the campsite was big enough to accommodate three tents and three hammocks and we still had a great fire and were lulled to sleep by the river! it was about 70 doing the day and it went down to 35 at night, we were very grateful to have brought our hiking sleeping bags to put inside the hammocks even though I still thought my toes had frozen off ;). Overall, the trail had some rough parts that really need to be cleared--we cleared some but I only had a small axe on hand and there are some large trees down that were funny to get over! this hike can be done in one day if you really want to get through it! We may come back sans-dogs, friends and overnight packs and do it again!

Friday, September 25, 2015

I hit this trail from Nicholson Ford Rd, where you jump on the Foothills trail (white blaze) then switch over to the Chattoogga Trail. By going about it this way you can hit up 3 falls, PigPen falls first, Upper Licklog Falls and then Lower Licklog Falls where it dumps into the Chattooga river. Distance was just 3.47miles out and back. At both PigPen Falls and Lower Licklog Falls you can get in the water, dip your feet it and even sit back and just relax and enjoy the views. I was unable to find a way down to the Upper Licklog Falls and had to settle on getting photos from trail side. Getting down to Lower Licklog Falls can be a bit of a scramble but not horrible. Me and my trusty hiking bud Jude (the dog) didn't have much trouble. A very nice trail, not too strenuous and we didn't see a single person the whole time we were out there.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Could someone recommend a section of the trail that would be good for a day hike--out and back. Looking for a family hike that is somewhat strenuous,

Monday, May 25, 2015

Make it your own hike. I believe there is another fall called Pigpen that's an easy hike maybe a mile in. Easy to the top of Licklog, and plenty of cascades on the way in. It's a moderate scramble to the bottom of Licklog though, where it flows in to the Chatooga. It's worth the effort, but may be too difficult for some hikers and pets. I came back after that, maybe 3 miles round trip, but there looks to be a lot left to explore!

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

This was a fairly strenuous trail for the group we were traveling with due to the steep inclines and declines throughout it. We spent about 3.5-4 hours on the trail prior to kayaking Lake Tugaloo and had a very good experience. It was a lot of fun running next to some gorges and looking down and across the area. Overall the trail was a great experience and I wish we had taken more pictures and had more time to spend on it. Prior to accessing the main area of the trail, we went down to the waterfront near the Bull Sluice rapid which is a pretty neat experience in itself.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

One of my favorite places on earth !

Sunday, April 06, 2014

This trail was excellent. It is certainly strenuous. Part of it are on the rock banks of the river. It was clear to us they are done a great deal of work. We found the perfect spot somewhere between big bend falls and lick log. Everyone was friendly and kindling was plentiful. I highly suggest taking your dog if they are tame. I took a friend for their first camping trip and they had an incredible time. Great views.