Chattooga Trail

Chattooga Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mountain Rest, South Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

I parked at he trailhead on Rt 28 and am only familiar with this section about 2-3 miles in. The river is beautiful with clear clean water. It was recently stocked with trout so I encountered frequent fly fishermen. Be prepared for COLD nights at this time of year. Although the trail follows the river, the trail is up on the hillsides so it is not viewable or approachable for the first half. Also there are no campsites at all along this part. At what I estimate the halfway point the trail drops down to the river, where it joins a well used unmarked trail which closely follows the river. Just past this point is a great campsite which is suitable for several campers. Its flat, open, right on the river, and has a nice firepit with seating. On hiking out, I took this unmarked trail which all the fishermen use to return to the parking area. It has several nice campsites along it also. This trail is easy to follow and starts at the parking area . It starts just to the left of the designated trail and has a large tree blocking the trail from vehicular traffic. I would definitely use it next time. Its far better than the official Chatooga trail. This trail is suitable for families and unleashed dogs, I took my Lab. Hope this review helps.

Great trail and pretty easy. Some beautiful river views and access. Wonderful hike on a beautiful Labor Day. Would definitely hike again and would enjoy camping.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Monday, August 01, 2016

Monday, April 18, 2016

we took a group of friends (non-hikers) and our three dogs with us on this hike. since it's point to point we started at Ridley Field and wanted to have another car at Burrells. Well, what an adventure that was! There is no cell service whatsoever in Mountain Rest and none of the locals can give accurate directions to Burrells. This caused us to start three hours after we had planned to. However, we really enjoyed the hike! We didn't make it as far as planned on day 1 since we started so late and it was getting late in the day, (we were with non hikers who were ready to be done) we made it about 8 miles in and found a campsite right off the trail. My husband and I slept with a dog each in our hammocks by the river and our friends all brought tents, their dog slept with them. the campsite was big enough to accommodate three tents and three hammocks and we still had a great fire and were lulled to sleep by the river! it was about 70 doing the day and it went down to 35 at night, we were very grateful to have brought our hiking sleeping bags to put inside the hammocks even though I still thought my toes had frozen off ;). Overall, the trail had some rough parts that really need to be cleared--we cleared some but I only had a small axe on hand and there are some large trees down that were funny to get over! this hike can be done in one day if you really want to get through it! We may come back sans-dogs, friends and overnight packs and do it again!

Monday, March 28, 2016

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Monday, September 21, 2015

Could someone recommend a section of the trail that would be good for a day hike--out and back. Looking for a family hike that is somewhat strenuous,

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

This was a fairly strenuous trail for the group we were traveling with due to the steep inclines and declines throughout it. We spent about 3.5-4 hours on the trail prior to kayaking Lake Tugaloo and had a very good experience. It was a lot of fun running next to some gorges and looking down and across the area. Overall the trail was a great experience and I wish we had taken more pictures and had more time to spend on it. Prior to accessing the main area of the trail, we went down to the waterfront near the Bull Sluice rapid which is a pretty neat experience in itself.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

One of my favorite places on earth !