Learn more

Chattooga Trail to Lick Log and Pig Pen Falls from Russell Bridge

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(25)
Sumter National Forest

Chattooga Trail to Lick Log and Pig Pen Falls from Russell Bridge is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Rest, South Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 764 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I uploaded a picture of the blowdown and reported it. I was able to get thru it. The rest of the trail was pretty with flowering Mountain Laurel, galax and Partridge berry. Several small streams to cross. The Chattooga River was high and muddy due to many days of rain.

Attempted to hike it from the actual Chattooga River trail and not the alternate river route and we could not make it past 2.2 miles. A huge tree is laying across the trail. We managed to make it past some of the blow downs, but there was no way we could get by that one. Going to go back and hike the river route next time.

This is a very nice Trail with great views of the Chattooga River and two beautiful waterfalls.

flooded

I followed the trail as recorded. I guess the real trail starts out away from the Chattooga River. The river route (vs hill) was a little demanding. There were plenty of blowdowns but not horrible. The scenery more than made up the extra work. The Hill course was fine; maintained well. The falls at Lickfork were fabulous. The rain from the days before really has it flowing. The sound was overwhelming turning the corner. I will do it again. The Chattooga is definitely a favorite

Sun Aug 26 2018

Similar to the previous review, trail was heavily overgrown with a couple down trees. Manageable, but there a few big spider webs across the trail that eventually turned me around... after 0.8 miles. Save yourself the trouble and take the trailhead off Nicholson Ford Road instead.

Tue May 29 2018

Attempted this hike on 5/29/18. In need of trail maintenance. Lots of ticks, overgrowth, and downed trees. When numerous ticks were discovered on my husband and dog, we turned around.

Sun Apr 15 2018

Pretty little hike, kid friendly. We started at trailhead off Nicholson Ford Road. The gravel road goes on for a while, but it eventually dead ends at the trailhead. Follow chatooga River trail until it branches off left to Liklog Falls, and Pigpen falls. From what I understand, Pigpen falls is off a side trail.

Sat Apr 20 2019