Blackjacks Heritage Preserve is a 1.8 mile loop trail located near Rock Hill, South Carolina and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length1.8 miElevation gain52 ftRoute typeLoop
Kid friendlyHikingWalkingDog friendly
Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

This trail guides you through a wooded area that contains 13 rare plant species. The trails are primarily dirt but some have wood chips placed between railroad ties. It's an easy hike and great to take the kids on.

Heritage Trust Program 803-366-7024

From exit 73 on I-77, drive NW on SC901, turn right on Pearson Dr, go .3mi and turn left on Southland Dr, go .2mi and turn left on Winchester Dr, the parking area is about 200ft.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (16)
Photos (2)
Activities (9)
Completed (29)
Ben C
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 13, 2021
View Ben's activity
Karen Harris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 21, 2020
Hiking

This area was a homeless community . I’ve never hiked back there but have been there to feed the people who lived there. The people there built themselves some really cool little houses out of wood or cardboard, they used anything they could find. The residents had their little homes decorated with discarded satellite dishes, plastic flamingos etc. some of the people were really artistic. They were proud of their homes and even invited us in to see them. I didn’t realized the homeless people had moved. I guess that is the reason there is so much trash there.

Alyssa Plano
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 14, 2020
HikingFlooded

So much garbage getting down the road. Trail was flooded and impassable. Could not get further than the big tree with swing.

Katie Arthurs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 18, 2020
View Katie's activity
Daniel Mishins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

As others said, the trail ends after about .25 miles. The drive in is also essentially a garbage dump. It would be a nice trail if someone took the time to clean it up

Joe Herring
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 7, 2020
Hiking

Not very well marked at all. I followed what I thought was the trail and ended up only completing about half of it

View Joe's activity
squatch zone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 13, 2019
Hiking

nice walk nearby, alot of mud and puddles but other than that great place nearby to relax in nature

whitewolf .
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 15, 2019
HikingOver grown

After reading the reviews I wanted to check it out for myself. Unfortunately, everyone is spot on about this trial. It's over grown, and not well maintained. The trail disappears after 0.25 in. This places has a lot of potential to be a nice place, if they cared about it. Also, on the drive in, there is a lot of trash and old furniture on the side of the road. which might discourage people from wanting to continue. 9 -15 -2019

Brian B
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 7, 2019
HikingBugsMuddyOver grown

discarded dogs located down gravel road and trash. I won't be back

View Brian's activity
Tomi Hendry
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2017
Mountain biking

I could not think of a worse trail for even walking on. The first .25 mile is totally fine, but then it just vanishes into thick grass and thorn bushes galore. I attempted to bike through it, following the trail my dog was mapping out for me, and my legs were shredded by the tall plants with mysterious spikes. I went through probably 6 spider webs. The trail was so horribly kept up. Honestly, Im not even sure I was on the trail. I ended up at a gravel road where a lady screamed at me and a man on a tractor rode by. I tried to find the trail but ended up having to go back through that god awful overgrown trail. I couldnt even bike back, i had to push my bike because my pedals kept getting stuck on the plants. My legs are really torn up, but at least my dogs had fun I guess.

Candice Barber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2016
Hiking

The trail was hard to find so we will need to go back on a cooler day but we saw lots of wild flowers and moths. Beautiful area next to an industrial site. Never would have known it was there without All Trails. Kids got hot so we had to turn back but not before we got some pictures on the hanging swing.

John Whiteknight
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 26, 2016

easy Trail to find. It's right off the road. However the trail itself is not very well marked. we got lost a little bit, the trail is not used very often and therefore we saw a lot more Wildlife than a well-worn trail. I would rate the trail a three and a half. However our dog would rate it about a four and a half. very private, lots of little animals to chase. there's a swing and a picnic bench at the beginning of the trailhead which would be very nice romantic afternoon if you're with someone other than your dog

Ronald Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 30, 2011
Hiking

Trail is very difficult to follow. Most trail markers are gone, down or overgrown. A seldom used trail giving much solitude. I saw many bird spices, wildflowers, insects and even some deer. It's good enough for me to visit again during all seasons. Don't forget your camera and binoculars. I rate this trail 3 stars. Submitted by RFW

Brent Worden
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2019
View Brent's activity
Seth Worden
View Seth's activity
brandon elkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 27, 2016