Bill Kimball - Coldspring Branch Loop

Bill Kimball - Coldspring Branch Loop is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cleveland, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked it on the fourth of July and went from Tom Miller to Jones Gap to Bill Kimball to Cold Springs. I also took the side trail of Jones Gap to highway 276 because I hadn't gone that way before. It took about 4 hours. There are plenty of places to get wet. There are about four fallen trees that need to be removed in the valley of Bill Kimball trail. You can get through but it is an annoyance. Going up Bill Kimball takes about 40 minutes with a lot of breaks. I took about 39 steps and rested again, hands on knees, huffing and puffing, and I'm an experienced hiker. I had to crawl and crab walk once I got up to the three rock walls. Pay close attention to the markers or you'll be off the trail. Near the last part of the climb after going through the tree major rock walls, there is a place where you need to turn sharp right and there is no marker straight ahead telling you to do so. After I got to the top, I could hardly go up hill anymore and I hobbled home. The trail has nice solitary deep in the woods feeling.

The trails are beautiful! We went along the Coldspring trail to Bill Kimball and back again as a ~5mile loop. It isn't that bad, some parts get steep and you need to hold onto some branches or rocks for support but truly it is doable! I took my small beagle (~27lbs) and he did great. There is one part where you cross a creek and the current may be too rough for a small dog to cross safely but it was easy enough to carry him across. Beautiful hike. No mountain top views though - but there is breath taking view at the Ranger Center (requires no hiking!) that overlooks table rock and many other mountains afar. Wonderful area.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

I enjoyed this trail for a morning trail run/hike. There is nothing exceptionally breathtaking on this trail, but there is a very beautiful, huge rock face on the Bill Kimball trail that I stopped to take a few pictures of, and the stream is a nice companion. I chose to do Bill Kimball then Coldsprings, and I liked that route.
A lot of the Bill Kimball trail isn't really "runable" trail--there are some very steep parts where you need to climb or scoot along on your butt. It was slow going, but still a lot fun going down, and I think it would be a lot of fun going up as well--definitely a challenge.
I ran up the Coldsprings trail. It has a gradual incline and a lot of long, straight aways, which were fun for running UP, but it might be a little dangerous running down. There are a lot of small rocks and those round acorns that roll underfoot which were covered by leaves (This was Fall weather) that are fine if you are running up the hill, but would cause a nasty fall if you trip on one on the way down the hill. It would also be easy to get going a little too fast. I would only consider running down Coldspring if you are already familiar with the trail, but walking would be lovely in either direction.
I ran most of Coldspring, but walked a lot of Bill Kimball even where I could have ran because it was so pretty. I also stopped to take pictures at the rock face and a couple of places along the stream and I finished in just under 2 hours. If you don't stop, you could do it faster, but I liked looking around a lot on the Bill Kimball.

Monday, October 03, 2016

love the rocks... great trail

Sunday, October 02, 2016

This is a good workout loop that runs by a nice branch and a couple of waterfalls (which you have to go off trail to get a good view of -- there are paths already there for you to follow) It is challenging either way you go...if you take the Coldspring Branch trail first from the trail head, it is almost all downhill, but not a drastic descent, and the Bill Kimball is a gruelling gain that seems to go on forever...If you take the Bill Kimball trail first from the trail head, you have the drastic and challenging descent which is worse than going up, in my opinion, then the Coldspring Branch is a lonnnng, but not too drastic, incline out. Either way, as I said, is a workout, but I like to take the Bill Kimball last so I can take the incline, even though it is quite a handful...I had rather take the incline than the descent on that trail, personally. There are several creek crossings and there is a good chance you will get your feet wet, so waterproof shoes/boots are a good idea. There are also several large downed trees you have to go under and some you have to go over, so you have to be fairly agile. I do not recommend this loop for small children or inexperienced hikers/walkers. There are several places that can be dangerous, especially if you have grown fatigued and a little sloppy. It took us three hours to do this loop, but it could be done much quicker if you focused on the task at hand. We took our time and stopped often to make photos and sightsee. We only saw two other people on the trail the whole time we were out and it was a beautiful autumn afternoon (Sunday), so apparently this is not a heavily trafficked loop. It was great to have the place all to ourselves!

Friday, September 30, 2016

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Hard tough trail. Be prepared on this one. One of the hardest descents I have done.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Friday, June 10, 2016

Friday, June 10, 2016

I accidentally hiked this trail with a friend and it was exhausting but well worth the hike!

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sunday, May 22, 2016

What an excellent find. By far one of my favorites. It is technical and challenging but well worth it. It's a beautiful trail.

Saturday, May 07, 2016