Big Bend Falls and Round Top Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(24)
Sumter National Forest

Big Bend Falls and Round Top Loop is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mountain Rest, South Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,233 feet Route Type: Loop

beautiful trail, especially the sections along the Chatooga. No trail signs whatsoever, tho, so have your GPS ready. This is rugged and beautiful country!

Great trail. We did it on a Saturday in mid May during the Coronavirus deal. There wasn't an open parking spot at the trailhead so we hiked in at the first service road. We saw just a handful of people on the hike, and they were mostly near the river. I started the recording late and it measured 7.5 miles. I think we hiked just over 8 miles.

Overall this is a great trail with some amazing views of the river! The trail does have some uphill section which can be challenging but they're not unbearable. If doing the loop shown on all trails, be careful to pay attention to the map! The loop shown is not marked and will continue onto another trail instead of looping back around. Rating is 4 stars due to the trail not being marked well towards the end.

ATTENTION: The trail U-Turn at the 4.7 mile mark is not well marked and easy to miss. The trail back up is to the left at coordinates 34°56’30 N 83°6’56 W facing NE. We were blindly following blazes and overshot it by a solid mile before ending up on another trail and having to go back and search using the GPS map. Enjoyable trail with pleasant river views and some gentle climbs, with a fairly steep ascent on the end of the loop.

Trail has a few places blocked by fallen or uprooted trees, but otherwise is well maintained. Lots of beautiful undergrowth to hike through. Of course there is the river, which is one of the most beautiful places I've eaten lunch. I cut my planned overnight hike short and hiked out early, because rains were coming in and there are a couple stream crossings. I was hiking solo and didn't have proper footwear, so I didn't want to take a risk hiking through the mud. I got to the river and hiked along it for a while, before heading back to Cherry Hill Rec. Center. I definitely plan on coming back and making it an overnight hike. Once you get to the river you can follow it north or south and extend your hike by a good bit. I would definitely recommend it. It can be a tough hike in a couple places but is definitely not an difficult trail, overall.

A beautiful hike, definitely strenuous.

steep hill back up

Sat Apr 06 2019

Great trail with lots of great views of the chattooga River. We parked at the end of Big Bend Road, short walk to access the loop. Highly recommend using this app to be able to stay on trial.

Sat May 25 2019