Wolf Hill Forest Perserve Trail

Wolf Hill Forest Perserve Trail is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Smithfield, Rhode Island that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Rocky New England Woodland featuring a WWII Memorial to a bomber crash site, an abandoned 1940's Boy Scout Camp with views o Providence and the upper bay and a rock quarry with a perennial waterfall. The Wolf Hill Forest Preserve is among my top 10 favorite hiking areas in Rhode Island. There are eight trails traversing the preserve that offer you an option of trail lengths from 2 to 6 miles. This wooded trail can be rocky with elevation gains of about 200 feet. Trail can be obtained at the Conservation Center of Waterview Drive.

The WWII Memorial trail was closed for environmental restoration as of July 26 2018

This is a nice set of trails. Unlike many previous reviews, I did not have a difficult time navigating the blazes. They are inconsistently spaced, but clear. The sights involve high voltage power lines, and some of the trails are very gravelly paths that follow the power lines. Not my favorite. The wooded areas are lovely, but you will need bug spray! Even with my bug spray on, I had a constant swarm around my head and left with several bites.

Excellent trail and beautiful views , the green trail has some advanced hiking points.

My Fiancé and I gave this trail a go today and we really enjoyed it! The water views were great and it was a great walk through the wild life! Our only complaint is that finding markers on the way back were more difficult and confusing. They did leave maps however, which helped us greatly! We would definitely do this hike again!

Completed with 5 and 8 year olds. Enjoyable hike.

Nice trail and some really cool huge rocks. Got lost though :(. Also it has some hills which is a good workout when running. The hills r very small.

Decent hike but nothing really special. The trails aren’t the best of marked. I could see it being easy for someone without experience or just out for a leisurely walk could get off course. Nice hike for a warm up for the summer season.

kids enjoyed it alot

A good workout with a relaxing environment.

New favorite! Will be back for sure, took the dog for a quick dip in the pond.

Made my way to WW2 site. Powerline area has some muddy areas but u can jump it with caution. Hard to get lost really as t\rails are marked well. Warmer weather now so watch the bugs. Some steep grades so go at ur own pace.

Great place for a nice hike in the woods! The trails are relatively well marked but I did get a little lost around the power lines.

Very pretty trail, easy to follow. Part of the blue trail is closed.

Nice and quiet .

Good trail. We would get to an intersection and take another color. Got lost a little bit near power lines because nothing was marked. Id do it again

You will be hard pressed to find a better woods trail within Rhode Island. There is a ton to see here; rock walls, Mercer point (and abandoned camp), the quarry, and waterfalls, make for a place you can visit over and over. The trail is well secluded with very little sign of civilization except for passing under the power line access around the halfway point. I was here while it was raining and decided to start beating my chest and yelling like a barbarian, need less to say I had a great time.

Totally worth the drive up from Point Judith. We took every side path except purple and orange. Trails were marked well except when crossing on gravel at the power lines (look to ground rocks for yellow markers and then across for red markers on sticks). Lots of rocks and roots but we took our dog and he managed fine. Broken glass alert at the lookout (could use a good clean-up brigade. . . would bring a garbage bag to carry out next time).

Rocky trail with moderate elevation. Be sure to bring a map and have a plan. Points of interest include the WWII crash site, where you will find a memorial and Mercer Lookout (we were able to see Providence and Narragansett Bay.) We lost the trail for a little bit after the lookout and were lucky to find the quarry. The rock formations inside the quarry were pretty incredible. We found the waterfall, but it was very slow flowing and mostly frozen. The view from the top of the quarry was just as beautiful as Mercer Lookout. Nice elevation on the green trail marked “steep” on the map. We will definitely be back to this one.

Fun trail with the pups. Moderate uphill climbs, beautiful scenery, and well marked. The was quite a bit of mud and some snow in mid-March, but nothing a good pair of boots can’t handle. Will definitely be going again!

definitely have a plan of which trails you want to take, and take a picture of the map. it's marked clearly but a lot of the trails intersect and you can go the wrong way pretty easily. they're nice trails to walk on. some of it can get pretty hilly but for the most part it's an easy hike. there's shorter loops you can take but the full loop will take you 3-4 hours.

Beautiful little gem in my home state, lots of snow, probably better off with snowshoes until the snow melts and packs. This trail was a series of different trails, so be careful and keep checking your recording if you want to complete this trail, maybe it was harder to follow in snow too. Very well lit trail so I think in the spring, summer and fall this would be much much easier.

Very dog friendly, great trail! Easily marked!

Grate trails. Well marked and clean. Nice scenery. Took my dog along with me on this hike no issues there.

This hike was great, the green trail is hard but manageable.

The lookout is amazing. My 4 and 6 yr made it.

Not a loop at all, so many trails cross crossing it wasn’t even enjoyable as you always had to be guessing which way to go

Great trail. Well marked.

Some nice hiking trails nothing spectacular. The rock outcroppings on the Mary Mowrey trail are worth exploring. The view from Mercer look out is pleasant if not outstanding. Would be nice if they could get some maps in the map boxes. Overall Wolf Hill is worth doing at least once.

awesome hike, would rate it slightly harder than moderate.

Great trail, slight hum from the roads, dogs loved it too!

The mystery boat reminds you of how terrible people can be. Sunset is likely ideal on a clear day. Some trials closed for habitat renewal. Road noise is soft for most of it.