Westerly Town Forest Trail

Westerly Town Forest Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Westerly, Rhode Island that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Very well marked trails through the westerly town forest, with multiple loops and side trails, including one tote Pawcatuck river.

I can’t believe we never walked here. The trails are a little covered due to the storm but I kind of liked it.

My son and I really enjoyed our walk. I have lived in Westerly, RI for over 20 years and never knew about this trail until I downloaded this app. The only negatives were that some trails had a lot of overgrowth and there were fallen trees blocking paths at times. It's also too bad there wasn't a dock or better view of the water.

Tried this set of trails fort he first time and found it very easy, not moderate. Noticed the on trail maps have been removed but if you take a picture of the map at the trail head you will be fine as the trail is well marked on trees. The view of the Pawcatuck River leaves a lot to be desired. This trail is best for trail running, local family hike and conditioning if you're looking to get into hiking.

I really enjoy these little known trails! Easily marked, and they all interconnect so you can switch it up as you'd like and go for as long or short a hike as you like. I was pleasantly surprised that I saw 0 people. Made for a relaxing, solitary trip :)

Friday, November 18, 2016

Easy trail. Nicely marked

Monday, November 14, 2016

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Good trails clear paths and marked well

Saturday, October 01, 2016

A nice series of trails for a good dog walk. Easy, clean, well maintained trails.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

There are 3 loops linked together. None of them are long (longest was 1.25 miles). There is a clear map and trail markings, but maps that used to be posted where the loops meet have been torn down. The trails are easy to follow, and there are very mild inclines that are barely noticeable. Not sure why this trail is rated as moderate. It was easy. Definitely dog friendly and children could easily walk this trail too.

Monday, November 02, 2015

Sunday, July 26, 2015

This hike was covered in more rough and narrow trails. Definitely more "deep woods". We did not smell the ammonia stench that a few other reviewers referenced. Though there were plenty of bugs (OFF is highly recommended). However, we definitely got a nice workout from the rugged terrain.

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Did not like the power lines!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Monday, March 16, 2015

Westerly Town Forest is one of my happiest places on earth. It is dog and kid friendly; a well marked trail through beautiful scenery. I highly recommend this trail to hikers and runners of all abilities.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Kool runnings! However, an ammonia like waft hangs around the forest, due perhaps to a farm on the perimeter. An awful reek!

Monday, December 22, 2014

Make sure you get the kind of day where the wind is blowing! Although, this is a cool running trail, many roots and rocks, be aware that there is an ammonia-reek from a barn somewhere on the perimeter of this Forest. Whew, it was an awful reek!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Two entrances, white and red trail (markers on trees). White trail contours water and meets up with red with a picnic table. Easy walk.

Friday, February 01, 2013

Westerly Town Forest is my default trail running spot, as such I run there at least once a week. Variety comes in how you link the trails I switch things up running the perimeter one day, figure 8's the next its a great place to run when there is snow on the ground trails are pretty well graded and there are easy stream crossing. The only problem is that the starting point is also the highest point so your return will always be up hill. http://www.westerly.govoffice.com/vertical/sites/%7B3CFB1749-9DE7-4A17-B2EA-594A2B09CB46%7D/uploads/%7BBAFE53AD-285A-43B0-9482-2FB73295524E%7D.PDF