Walkabout Trail Loop is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Chepachet, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from August until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Loop

A trail built by Australian naval members, Walkabout provides three options in length with a two mile loop, a six mile loop, and the full eight mile loop. Conditions can be moist and rocky with a few small hills to give a moderate rating.

Lovely misty mountains type mythical

recorded Walkabout Trail Loop

flooded

Hands down, my favorite RI trail. Love the 8 mile orange loop! Beautiful mossy, magical spots can be found about halfway through. Some ups & downs, but nothing too challenging for anyone who is willing to embark on an 8 mile hike in the first place. There were definitely some wet and soggy spots, but always a way to get around without soaking your shoes.

flooded

No hands-down one of the best hikes I’ve done also the longest #SocialDistancing

Only gave this 2 stars for several reasons we stretched it out to 7.9 miles and ended up walking 4 wheel drive roads that did have some trash and we did have to share the road with a few trucks also there are not any scenic views and lastly we did come across quite a few other people.. we tend to like remote areas with more elevation gains and some overlooks... we still had a great day being out in the woods

Such a great trail system! I’m partial to water views, and there are plenty of those, but even the portions of the trail that head back into the woods are gorgeous! The history is very interesting too, the trails were built by Australian seamen in 1965, who were waiting for their ship to be repaired. The park used to be a CCC camp as well. There are 3 different trails that make up this particular system, but there are options to extend the hike further. We took the red trail which is marked as being 6 miles at the trailhead sign but is defined just a hair over 4. Will definitely be back to take a dip in the lake. Enjoy your hike!

Great trail, has some interesting paths with the rocks, has some very cool rock formations on the western side.

Trail ran this last week with my wife, some wet sections. Saw not one other person, excellent for social distancing.

Fun trail, just cold today. We set out to hike the long trail but it was get cold and late in the day. We will be back for sure.

Chilly temps in upper 30s lower 40s. Nice water views, forest ranges from low canopy to densely wooded. Trails well marked, but several place in need of maintenance due to winter weather. Quiet, peaceful hike that sometimes brushes along uninhabited camp sites. Today I made this loop clockwise, next time I’ll try it the other way.

bridge out
icy

We stayed on the gravel roads.

Went in mid January after some snow the night before. Did the full blue red orange loop which is about 8 miles. Smooth open parking in winter at GW campground and was beautiful throughout. Well maintained well marked. Can take blue loop for 2 miles. Red loop 6 miles or all three for 8. Enjoy anytime of the year.

Did the full 8 mile loop. It was unseasonably warm that day ~65 degrees, which was nice, but I was looking for some snow. Great views of the Bowditch Reservoir and some smaller ponds. Would be a good hike for a dog/kids since you can bail out of the full loop and make it a 2 mile/5 mile hike depending on what you want to do.

icy

I hiked the blue trail, which was the shortest in length, with a small detour up towards Wilbur lake. The trail is flat and not strenuous. Beautiful in the snow! Recommend crampons this time of year as there was a layer of ice underneath all the snow; took a spill before I decided to put mine on.