Walkabout Trail Loop

Walkabout Trail Loop is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chepachet, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from August until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A trail built by Australian naval members, Walkabout provides three options in length with a two mile loop, a six mile loop, and the full eight mile loop. Conditions can be moist and rocky with a few small hills to give a moderate rating.

This was a pleasant walk with my seven-year-old, with a nice breeze off the lake for parts of the hike. We planned to take the red loop, but the signage, which was really clear for the first half, was confusing/missing in places so we ended up on a bit longer hike. A few notes about taking the trail with kids:
1) Hiking boots and bug spray are a must. Even on a dry July day there was a fair amount of mud (although probably not as much as my daughter would have liked. I'd recommend hiking poles, but I always say that.
2) "moderate" is a fair appraisal; it's not very steep anywhere, but the terrain varies a lot in small ways, from rocky to lakeside to beds of pine needles, which makes it better for kids. (My daughter gets bored if the trail is too flat or monotonous or doesn't have things to climb.) There aren't a lot of dangers or areas where kids could easily vanish from sight. But what it also doesn't have is the kind of attractions/landmarks along the way that help keep kids focused (like the way the Mashomoquet loop has Table Rock/the Wolf Den/the Indian Chair for kids to stop at along the loop).
3) We mostly had the trail to ourselves, but there were a lot of campers and swimmers in the park. For parts of the walk you feel like you're walking by a lot of campsites, while other parts are more secluded.
4) Bring a bathing suit for after. My daughter was a little distraught that we couldn't go swimming in the pond after the hike, and if I'd realized there was a pond/beach right at the trailhead I would have brought suits. There's an area for changing/bathrooms at the trailhead.

Nice trail through the woods, mostly flat and probably doable in sneakers, but I was glad I wore my boots because it's rooty and rocky in areas. Didn't see another soul on the trail on a weekday afternoon. A lot of pretty mossy/ferny areas. As others have said, the trail takes you around ponds and through marshes, so yes, bugspray.

Extremely well marked except for a moment on the orange trail going clockwise near the Pulaski Wildlife Marsh where the map shows it curving around the water over the grassy area, but there are orange markers pointing away from it on another trail as well - I followed the map and it worked out.

I did the Blue and the Red trails today, my Garmin GPS measured the entire route as 6 miles(I parked at the gate). Some parts a little muddy and rocky, but a great run/hike. Next time I’ll wear bug spray.

Happy to read that the trail I and 300 of my fellow sailors of the Royal Australian Navy built in RI in 1965 is still being enjoyed by our American cousins. We didn't do it out if the goodness of our heart. We were 'volunteered ' by our CO to keep us out of mischief ! The local bar owner ran out of beer the first day of our labour but quickly stocked up for the next month or two. Us workers came up with an entirely different name for the trail. We wanted to call it the Fakawi trail. Now, if you prefix that name with the phrase 'where the ' you will appreciate why our name was rejected in favour of its present name. So very glad it is still in use today after so many years and being enjoyed as we intended. Good luck to you all. Fond regsrds from one of the original trail blazers.

Started at the campground by the beach, meant to do the 6 mile loop but ended up doing the 8 mile loop plus some (walked in circles for a bit...). I wore just low cut sneakers and not hiking boots, huge mistake. I recommend trekking poles but could definitely be done without it. I hiked with my 6.5 month old in a pack and my dog. It was the longest so far with the babe. I picked about 22 ticks off my dog (no joke). So check thoroughly post hike.

Nice trails with scenic views at times. Really nice breeze off the ponds. Pulled off 6 ticks - bring bug spray!

Third time hiking here - fall winter and spring. No bugs today fortunately since we forgot bug spray. Love this hike for the rugged rocky trails and lovely wetland areas. Did the ‘six’ mile loop. It measured five miles by this app.

We did the 6 mile loop and the Angel loop (1.5? mile) trails. Both trails were flooded out in spots and there were a few trees down. Nice trails overall and very well marked. Angel loop has nice views of Bowditch reservoir. Access is on George Washington campground. Drinking water and restrooms are available.

Great trail. Easy hike. Extremely well marked. We did the red trail (6 miles) which was 5.5 miles or so. The wet areas were all easy to navigate. Highly recommend. Gorgeous day.

I completed this hike today March 10, 2018. Started at 6:30 AM. Crisp 32 degrees but clear skies. I have been here before but today was much more challenging. Also more fun! It was a combination of 1 to 3 inches of crunchy snow, some very wet areas, and lots of small branches and trees across the trails because of the recent wet snow. I planned to do the orange trail but quickly decided to cut it shorter and do red trail which is supposed to be 6 miles. My tracker said a little over 5 which was fine. Great morning. Nice winter hiking spot.

Very nice woodland trail. A few wet/muddy spots. Well marked trails.

Walked 2 trails today. The Angel trail goes along the water for a while then cuts back past camp sites. Loved that. 1.5 miles. Then we did the 2 mile blue trail on the other side of the reservoir. That was nice but not as scenic. We had a nice walk. Both are well marked.

Did the 8 mile orange trail. There were a few points where I did get a little lost, especially towards the end. I couldn't find where the path continued ended up going around in circles,so I just turned around and made it an out and back instead of looping around.It is a beautiful and quiet trail. I'd recommend it. Didn't see one bug.

Did the Red (6 mile loop). Very pretty, quiet. Well maintained and well marked easy to follow trail.

Beautiful forest, alive with birds and Little creatured, quiet and easy to follow markers

very nice hike along the lake, through the woods and some marshes. Mostly secluded except for area along the lake. there are 3 hikes available which are all excellently marked the whole way - we did red which was supposed to be 6 miles. Very happy we did this one!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Good family hiking place. Did the 8 mile hike once before in the rain and the 2 mile hike today. With a toddler on your shoulders most of the way it's more like a 4 mile hike :)

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Loved this trail! We did the 4.6 mile loop and we're delighted with its scenery, changing landscapes and well- marked trails. Truly lovely for a winter hike and looks like it might be beautiful in late spring/early summer as wild rhododendron are everywhere!

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Very nice, well marked trail. Good for dogs and very fun during the winter. Will have to come back during the warmer months to experience the beach in full affect.

Monday, October 10, 2016

great day for a hike! well marked too. very peaceful ;)

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Very well marked, varying length trails through differing types of forest. Well worth the $2 entry fee.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

I did the yellow trail, which was almost 8 miles. It was a little tricky due to recent rain. They maintain the trail.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

There is a small fee when entering, paid $2.00. Followed the red trail. Lots of different terrains. Some sections were harder than others. Beautiful and peaceful. One of the few trails we've walked where we saw other people on the trails. Only downside is that there is a lot of areas where you aren't protected from the sun so it gets really warm. Bring a lot of water. Would do it again.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Awesome

Saturday, March 19, 2016

This wonderful little hike has a history to it that I found interesting. There is a plaque at the beginning of the trails that thanks The Aussies for making these trails during Operation Black Swan in 1965. I Googled Operation Black Swan 1965 and found this interesting article http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/361179/walking-about-the-woods. In the article, Marty Basch gives a pretty good review of the trail as well as the story of its birth. The trails are still very well marked and maintained. This is an easy 4.76 mile hike with a few hills, a marshy area, and plenty of woods. Parking is available at the George Washing Campground. I read where they charge $2.oo to park. The campground was still closed for the season so the parking was free.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

We went out on a Beautiful early spring morning (3/13). We saw three other people; nice and quiet. The terrain is perfect for a fun family hike.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Came back today (6/13/15) and did the 8 mile orange loop. This is simply a great hike. I can see myself doing this multiple times without getting bored. Nice mixture of some pond views and wood trails. In the future will explore the Pulaski (sic) park area. Bring bug spray! If it was a little later in the summer I would have gone for a nice dip after the hike at the beach near the trail head.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Awesome Hike. Got lost towards the end. Watch the markers!

Saturday, April 11, 2015

I hiked the Red Loop today (4/11/15). Beautiful early morning with snow still on the ground in some areas of the trail. Obviously pretty wet in areas due to melting snow and the recent rain. I am a novice and this was my first hike here. Overall had a great hike - loved the solitude (only saw 2 other small groups of hikers) and enjoyed the scenery and trail. I don't have a lot of experience but as a relatively fit 50 year old I found that I had to be careful in some areas (especially due to some snow and water), but it wasn't too difficult. I did the Red Loop in about 2 hours. I will come back again - this is a keeper.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

I usually run the trails and attempted to run the 8 mile one at walkabout. Quite challenging and loaded with all kinds of terrain. Found my head looking down most of the time dodging lots of obstacles, this causes some wandering at times because I miss some markers. I traversed it in about an hour and forty minutes but I did miss alot of the view in the process. You will get quite a workout but not much in elevation here. enjoy