Walkabout Trail Loop

Walkabout Trail Loop is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Chepachet, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from August until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A trail built by Australian naval members, Walkabout provides three options in length with a two mile loop, a six mile loop, and the full eight mile loop. Conditions can be moist and rocky with a few small hills to give a moderate rating.

I completed this hike today March 10, 2018. Started at 6:30 AM. Crisp 32 degrees but clear skies. I have been here before but today was much more challenging. Also more fun! It was a combination of 1 to 3 inches of crunchy snow, some very wet areas, and lots of small branches and trees across the trails because of the recent wet snow. I planned to do the orange trail but quickly decided to cut it shorter and do red trail which is supposed to be 6 miles. My tracker said a little over 5 which was fine. Great morning. Nice winter hiking spot.

Very nice woodland trail. A few wet/muddy spots. Well marked trails.

Walked 2 trails today. The Angel trail goes along the water for a while then cuts back past camp sites. Loved that. 1.5 miles. Then we did the 2 mile blue trail on the other side of the reservoir. That was nice but not as scenic. We had a nice walk. Both are well marked.

Did the 8 mile orange trail. There were a few points where I did get a little lost, especially towards the end. I couldn't find where the path continued ended up going around in circles,so I just turned around and made it an out and back instead of looping around.It is a beautiful and quiet trail. I'd recommend it. Didn't see one bug.

Did the Red (6 mile loop). Very pretty, quiet. Well maintained and well marked easy to follow trail.

Beautiful forest, alive with birds and Little creatured, quiet and easy to follow markers

very nice hike along the lake, through the woods and some marshes. Mostly secluded except for area along the lake. there are 3 hikes available which are all excellently marked the whole way - we did red which was supposed to be 6 miles. Very happy we did this one!

Good family hiking place. Did the 8 mile hike once before in the rain and the 2 mile hike today. With a toddler on your shoulders most of the way it's more like a 4 mile hike :)

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Loved this trail! We did the 4.6 mile loop and we're delighted with its scenery, changing landscapes and well- marked trails. Truly lovely for a winter hike and looks like it might be beautiful in late spring/early summer as wild rhododendron are everywhere!

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Very nice, well marked trail. Good for dogs and very fun during the winter. Will have to come back during the warmer months to experience the beach in full affect.

Monday, October 10, 2016

great day for a hike! well marked too. very peaceful ;)

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Very well marked, varying length trails through differing types of forest. Well worth the $2 entry fee.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

I did the yellow trail, which was almost 8 miles. It was a little tricky due to recent rain. They maintain the trail.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

There is a small fee when entering, paid $2.00. Followed the red trail. Lots of different terrains. Some sections were harder than others. Beautiful and peaceful. One of the few trails we've walked where we saw other people on the trails. Only downside is that there is a lot of areas where you aren't protected from the sun so it gets really warm. Bring a lot of water. Would do it again.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Awesome

Saturday, March 19, 2016

This wonderful little hike has a history to it that I found interesting. There is a plaque at the beginning of the trails that thanks The Aussies for making these trails during Operation Black Swan in 1965. I Googled Operation Black Swan 1965 and found this interesting article http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/361179/walking-about-the-woods. In the article, Marty Basch gives a pretty good review of the trail as well as the story of its birth. The trails are still very well marked and maintained. This is an easy 4.76 mile hike with a few hills, a marshy area, and plenty of woods. Parking is available at the George Washing Campground. I read where they charge $2.oo to park. The campground was still closed for the season so the parking was free.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

We went out on a Beautiful early spring morning (3/13). We saw three other people; nice and quiet. The terrain is perfect for a fun family hike.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Came back today (6/13/15) and did the 8 mile orange loop. This is simply a great hike. I can see myself doing this multiple times without getting bored. Nice mixture of some pond views and wood trails. In the future will explore the Pulaski (sic) park area. Bring bug spray! If it was a little later in the summer I would have gone for a nice dip after the hike at the beach near the trail head.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Awesome Hike. Got lost towards the end. Watch the markers!

Saturday, April 11, 2015

I hiked the Red Loop today (4/11/15). Beautiful early morning with snow still on the ground in some areas of the trail. Obviously pretty wet in areas due to melting snow and the recent rain. I am a novice and this was my first hike here. Overall had a great hike - loved the solitude (only saw 2 other small groups of hikers) and enjoyed the scenery and trail. I don't have a lot of experience but as a relatively fit 50 year old I found that I had to be careful in some areas (especially due to some snow and water), but it wasn't too difficult. I did the Red Loop in about 2 hours. I will come back again - this is a keeper.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

I usually run the trails and attempted to run the 8 mile one at walkabout. Quite challenging and loaded with all kinds of terrain. Found my head looking down most of the time dodging lots of obstacles, this causes some wandering at times because I miss some markers. I traversed it in about an hour and forty minutes but I did miss alot of the view in the process. You will get quite a workout but not much in elevation here. enjoy

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Very nice easy hike, we did the 8 mile loop today, (the orange trail) it took us 3 hours and 12 minutes, (we did stop to take some pictures, probably would have been a little faster) not sure if I would call this a moderate hike though, I would call it easy. The trails are marked very well, there is no way you can get lost! But we did really enjoy it, it was a nice day, there were only a couple of other people out there hiking. You can pull down to the beach and park there, you will have to pay the $2.00 for the park fee, or you can park right outside of the office for free, but looked like only 3 cars could fit there. Being our first time we decided to go down to the beach so we could see the trail head.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Great hike. We did the eight mile loop & missed the orange arrow the first time we attempted the hike & ended up at Pulaski Park. Quite a long walk that day, 15 miles. The second time we did the eight mile loop we paid more attention & saw the orange arrow that brings you back to the start of the hike. The area where you take a right at the orange arrow, is much more challenging. Mostly uphill with a lot of scrambling over rocks. Lots of fun & I highly recommend this hike.

Monday, September 01, 2014

Did the 6 mile loop with a novice on a humid day. Good workout, yes bring bug spray.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

My wife and I just did this trail. We intended to do the Orange blaze (8 mile) loop but I should of started her with the Blue blaze (2 mile) loop, as this was her first hike of the yr. We ended up doing the Red blaze (6 mile) loop though. Thank goodness we brought bug spray. The gnats and flies were crazy, I was kidding my wife saying her arm will be tired from the 6 miles due to the swatting :). Anyways, this trail is very easy to locate and follow. The 2 mile loop is easy, mostly flat and smooth, the 6 and 8 mile loop, have some tricky rock and root scrambles that can twist an ankle very quickly, so be careful. Very nice trail to get back into nature. the only disappointment was that the trail didn't get very many views of the lake, mostly forest and swamp. Very enjoyable morning though, we will do the 8 mile loop next time. The RI North/South trail follows quite a bit of the trail as well.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Did the orange blaze, 8 mile loop. It took me 2 hours 42 minutes car to car. Note: drive in, at gate pay attendant $2 to enter. Third left towards beach area, trailhead on right. So, this is a good hike for the fitness aspect. Not very challenging, and you can cruise at a good clip. With the exception of one nice pond view, not much to see. Most of this is simply following the blaze on a trail through the forest (which they made a habit of by tagging a tree every twenty feet, so the route is "idiot" proof). Not much elevation change (this is RI) and the trails are nice and clear. BRING BUG SPRAY in summer. I didn't. The marsh area gets pretty dank. As soon as I entered it, I got lit up! Also, I brought 1.5 liter of water and one cliff bar. It was sufficient. Enjoy!

Friday, August 01, 2014

Just finished the 8 mile loop w the wife. Feeling our age I guess (mid 50's). Took us 5 hours a very sore feet. Walked up on a young couple making love on the back 8. God bless em, it was the last thing on my mind at that point in the hike.

Monday, July 21, 2014

This trail is located in the George Washington Memorial Campground it does cost $2.00 to get into the campground. We did the 6 mile trail and I would highly recommend bringing bug spray! The trails are very well groomed and offer a great hike.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

first time hiking here. did it with a friend, we decided to take the six mile trail and when we got to the split we thought we were already half way done so we head for the 8 mile trail at the split. little did we know where were only about 2 miles into our original planned hike. we finished in about 3 and half hours. if you decide to do this hike YOU MUST BRING BUG SPRAY. 4 to 5 miles in you hit marsh Swampy areas where the misquotes thrive and I couldn't swat them away fast enough. literally had 3 misquotes on my arm at one time. some cool man made bridges here and there as well ... bug spary... get it!!

Sunday, April 06, 2014

I normally hike this trail in winter, but lead a group from Blackstone Valley Outfitters for our spring outing there. As always I enjoy this area of Rhode Island, but ran into a few groups of people not prepared for the spring melt. The Walkabout Trail was built in a beautiful wooded wetland area and after the winter we had, many sections of the eight mile loop was flooded. The swelling waters of the cascading brooks were spectacular and great for pictures. If you attempt this hike in spring wear proper footwear and non cotton clothing.