Vin Gormley Trail

moderate 72 reviews

Vin Gormley Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Charlestown, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 396 feet Route Type: Loop

flooded

4 hours well spent. Bring solid boots as there is a lot of rocks.

Great hiking trail for beginner or intermediate.

Took my dog there. It was fantastic. Pretty muddy, but we went after two days of heavy rain. Don’t forget your orange!

A lovely walk with fall colors but a little too much road walking. I think it would be very full of insects in warm weather but I was there on a nice fall day.

Not my favorite. I don't like how much road walking there was, not exactly where I wanna be when walking with dogs.

8.2 miles is the real distance. Took me 3 hours and 15 mins. Nice trail. I few road walks but other than that a very enjoyable trail!

3.5 hrs with two dogs.

very nice easy long walk

Sat Nov 17 2018

We hiked this trail today, it took 4 hours and 7 minutes, we took 10 minute breaks every 2 miles, I measured it with another app “GPS Tracks” and measured 8.23 miles, we followed the trail on this app exactly! We recently had rain and snow, the trail was still easy to find but several areas of the trail had minor flooding, it was no big deal to go around the flooded areas. We wore an abundance of orange to be easily spotted and traffic was respectful on the few areas along the road. The wood bridges were still mostly covered in ice and snow, we slipped twice on the beginning of the bridges that is sloped. Briefly saw deer but many squirrels.

Thu Sep 20 2018

nicer trail in area due to its length. saw deer in woods! poorly marked in areas. dont like the street ending or beginning depending on which direction you go. I always go ptepared to spend the night just in case.

Tue Sep 04 2018

first time on this trail today. Great hike, really fast trail.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Love this trail and the variety of terrain encountered along the way! A bit difficult to follow through the campground, but otherwise clearly marked the entire distance. It does hit asphalt for a couple small sections, but otherwise single track trail nearly the entire way.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Wed Sep 13 2017

This was an absolutely gorgeous Trail. The trail does go through some touristy areas so I would recommend going on it in the fall or winter time. The trail is a also great for a furry friend if you are in need of a hiking buddy.

Tue Jul 18 2017

Long but fairly easy trail. Wood paths over muddy parts. Nice ledge, mushrooms, wildflowers, and pine forest. My phone recorded closer to 9 miles total, then 7.8 postings. My stated on the trail per this app so I am not sure why there is such a big difference.

Sat Feb 18 2017

Nice long hike but had us on the road about three times with our dog. Cars zipping by made me nervous. Not really looking to worry about cars when out on a hike; I could stay home for that.

Sat Nov 22 2014

well I'm not sure about the in and back trail but we did the VIN Gormley trail and it went all the way around the pond. at first it's very hard to find the trail but you can start anywhere and then go all the way around it is some roads but not a lot.all in all a nice trail. not real great in the winter though, nothing really to look in the woods. but I'm glad I did it.

Sun Aug 10 2014

One mile is on the road but out of 8 that's not bad. this is a great walkway, I did it with a first timer and the road was a time for him to catch up. Great inclines and a few areas to climb boulders and have a snack and people watch. I don't write reviews normally but I was moved by the work the volunteers did to make this trail great for the campers who stay at Burlingame state park..... side note: 5 out of 5 bikers had to walk their bikes up rocks and I think that might be the reason they say this is a hiker trail not a riders path.

Sun Feb 26 2012

The Vin Gormley Trail is located in Burlingame State Park in Charlestown, RI. It is a long, but easy hike. It goes around Watchaug Pond, passing a boat launch and campground, going into deeper woods and some swampy areas. After about 2.5 miles you emerge out on a gravel road. But shortly you re-enter the hardwood forest. On your way, you will encounter some small ledges and Beech groves. And again, back on a road for some distance, before returning to the woods and a pine grove. I finally made it to the parking lot. Distance wise it was acceptable, but the trail was on some main roads too often for me.