Stepstone Falls via Ben Utter Trail

Stepstone Falls via Ben Utter Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near West Greenwich, Rhode Island that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Stepstone Falls Backpack Area is a 0.6 mile out and back trail located near West Greenwich, Rhode Island. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

I only had one hour and didn’t complete the hike but I’ve already made plans to come back. Beautiful trail by the river.

This might be my favorite trail. I love it.

Nice hike!

I love this place so much! It always offers up a new sight or sound everytime I go there.

Beautiful and easy with a bit of climbing some rocks along the way. The only way it could be better is if it looped.

Easy out and back hike. Wish there were more to the falls but it's peaceful at least following the river.

Very pretty. Footing can be a bit slippery at times with loose rocks. At the top of the falls is actually a place I see people swimming all the time, so bring water shoes if you like taking a dip.

Great hiking spot! Not too busy. A little buggy. I'd go again.

it was challenging in places but very nice

Fun day hiking. Even though there had been heavy rain for previous couple days, trails had drained pretty well; not much mud at all.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Nice short and easy trail. Can't beat hiking along the river especially near the falls.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

This trail was wonderful and clearly marked. We were notified of the orange clothing requirement a mile into the trail.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

The trail was very pretty but swarming with bugs because of the water. So much so that you are practically tripping over roots and rocks waving bugs away from your face. It was also very hard to find. Maybe early August is not the best time of year for this particular trail.

Monday, September 05, 2016

the falls were almost totally dry but its really nice out there.
This trail also has a lost of up and down my activity tracker showed I climbed 13 floors
great walk

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Nice easy hike. Beautiful

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Beautiful views. Easy for dogs and isn't too busy.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Beautiful day!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Nice hike for me my wife and 5mo old girl

Friday, June 05, 2015

I'm sure I went farther than .6 miles, taking the Ben Utter trail as mentioned in another post.
It's sad to see some of the photos posted here.
The picnic area looks much different structurally than it did just a few years ago.

Great hike - pretty easy and even though we'd just received a ton of rain, it had already dried off for the most part.
Saw a couple of folks but hardly anyone and it seems like the area is either very well maintained, well-respected, or pretty unknown.

Monday, May 25, 2015

I completed this hike this morning (5/25/15) with my family. We parked on Plain Rd and hiked up the yellow blazed trail to Falls River Rd (site of the falls), and then returned to Plain Rd using the blue blazed trail, most of which is on an old road. With a little side exploration the total hike was just about 4 miles. This is a relatively easy hike with large sections going along the stream. The falls themselves are very scenic and a great spot to visit. We had a very nice day and even on Memorial Day with good weather it wasn't overly crowded. Excellent hike.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dec 15, 2012- My Boyfriend & I really enjoyed the falls here! As it is winter & chilly we still had a great time- we want to bring my girls back here either in the spring or Fall. The waterfall was right where you can park & the trails were well marked.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A beautiful trail and a beautiful spot! The falls are the northern terminus of the yellow-blazed Tippecansett Trail. Please note that in winter the stretch of Falls River Road leading from Escoheag Hill Road may be closed.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Take this along with the Ben Utter Trail, and be sure to take the River Trail path. That route is easily one of the most attractive spots in the state. At the head is a waterfall. Your route will take you through the forest, along a river that was once the site of a sawmill. Traces of that sawmill still exist.

At the head of the Ben Utter Trail, you have a number of options. You can hook up with the Breakheart Trail to Penny Hill, or follow the Escoheag Trail, or you can turn around and enjoy it all over again. Either way, you will have an excellent adventure.