Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Sakonnet Greenway Trail is a 13.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portsmouth, Rhode Island that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.8 miles Elevation Gain: 462 feet Route Type: Loop

Please be respectful of the fact that part of this trail crosses over privately owned land. Aquidneck Island's largest nature trail and transport corridor connecting Portsmouth and Middletown. This is an Aquidneck Land Trust trail - Go to https://ailt.org/trails-maps/sakonnet-greenway/ for more information and parking locations.

chk the wind speed for this one due to it being mostly open space but the past muddy conditions have been addressed with tons of walking boards in wet areas.Did 12 miles on 5/21/20 and will go back during the fall for the colors..great job with the well marked kiosks along the way.

did 6 miles of it, going back another day to finish it the mud in here is no joke!! great great trail tho with every kind of terrain imaginable lol

Mild day for December and took advantage and started in Portsmouth and made it to Middletown. All kinds of terrain within the hike including farm land, golf course and woods with bridges and foot bridges. Was a muddy in spots. Looking forward to another section picking it up in Middletown.

Great long 10 mile hike with my dog Zane. Perfect weather. Pretty straight forward will marked trails that runs along a golf course and several farms for a bit Different from most of the woodland trails we're usually on.

Great trail - goes through a mix of lands including woods, vineyard, cattle pasture, and golf course over the 10 miles. I have done a number of times and certain sections can be muddy, especially in the spring months.

private property

First off...this is a no joke trail through fields, dirt/gravel/grass paths, and through a marshy bit. Even had to bear crawl a few feet. If you don’t like getting a bit dirty and want to keep your kicks nice and clean go run a nice paved path. I loved it! Previous reviews are accurate in that the marking is a bit lacking initially but about 1.5 in it gets way better. The trail route on this app is pretty spot on and at two parts I just popped open the app to see which way to go. Didn’t do the whole out and back so I can only speak to about 2.5 down the trail from the start. It had mud so if you decide to go I’d give it a couple days passed the last rain. It had been about 3 when I did it and it was still a bit muddy. Not terrible though. Took the dog and though trail says for them to stay leashed, I went early in the morning and was the only one on the trail, so I let her off for parts of it. There is electric fence at two fields so just FYI. TLDR: awesome trail that actually feels like you’re on a trail run. You’re goin to probably get dirty. Enjoy.

If you enjoy driving 45 minutes away to a trailhead that literally brings you to the side of a field in which you proceed through grass and cross a road to walk around another electric fence lined field, than this is for you. I’m not too familiar with the area so I opened the directions to this place directly from alltrails and it brought us to a sports field complex. Started walking down in between fields and it was just not enjoyable. Would of kept going but saw nothing in site besides grass and fence. We probably started this on the wrong side, but it would be nice if the beginning of this trail wasn’t marked on here where it is because it’s deceiving and was a big waste of time.

we were able to push our BOB stroller from the trails inception at linden Lane all the way to the terminus of Newport national golf course at Mitchell's Lane. beautiful walk, about half of the Walk is exposed so during the summer I can imagine this would get hot. first half of the trail from linden Lane to Braman's Lane is gorgeous! loop around the golf course is fairly nice. overall we had a great experience but I can imagine this could get muddy, I think we nailed it on the right day.

Thu May 23 2019

4 miles and back this, "loop trail", is quite a distance, but is relatively pleasant. The Pros: Pretty Well Marked (Mostly) Calm Not too heavily trafficked There is a porta potty on the first leg (hard to see, but right next to the trail where it meets the golf course Cons: Next to a bunch of farms Next to a golf course the first third of the way You have to cross a couple roads Muddy as a cows hinder in several places. 1 or 2 ticks My day on this trail started a tad rough. I entered on the Mitchell lane side and had no trouble parking. Immediately after taking a few steps into a magical archway of greenery, I was greeted with some of the thickest, deepest mud known to man and there was no way around. I wasn't wearing boots at the time, but even with boots, plunging a foot into mud at every step is no picnic. I kept moving to find myself lost on a golf course, having missed the first turn back onto the trail. Perhaps I'm a fool, perhaps I'm not observant enough, but I feel, for the inexperienced backpacker this might be a confusing spot. When hiking this trail, if you feel you have been unceremoniously dumped onto a golf course, you missed the turn. Once I found the trail again the rest of the hike was relatively uneventful. There was a good portion of trail that was extremely well marked next to the golf course, but then the markings dropped off after that. It was as if they were extremely concerned about hikers getting lost when it might affect golfers, but didn't give much of a crap after that what happened to them. The trail crossed a couple roads and had a few more muddy spots, none as extreme as the first. The grass was overgrown in some places. The trail went from, golf course, to marshy, to woodland. The woodland part of the trail was the best bit. It was calm and beautiful and there were stone benches and a little river to sit by. There were some cool little bridges and, at the beginning, a raised wood walkway that made you feel as if you were entering a mystical fairy garden rather than a forest. Of course, knowing I had to leave this place and track back over the less pleasant parts of the trail again soured my peace a little. When I completed the trail I was a bit muddy, but none the worse for ware. I found a dog tick catching a ride on my pant-leg and I sent him to his maker. All life has a right to exist, but blood drinking parasites that spread disease are successful enough without my help. I spent a couple days brushing dried mud off my shoes and found a dead deer tick on one, but that wasn't so bad. All in all this was a decent hike, a nice way to spend a day. I did find it a little troublesome and boring so I may not go back, but every trail is worth exploring. Just because it wasn't 100% my thing doesn't mean you wont like it. It's always good to get outside, get some exercise and see the day. :)

Mon May 20 2019

Great place for a nature walk and dog walk. grass at some points were really overgrown. Can get really muddy .

Sun May 19 2019

The trail was nice, but a little muddy at the beginning and turnoround.

Wed May 08 2019

Wish you were here Tita. Very muddy at the beginning but once you get to the bridge it opens up to the most beautiful views. Trails are easy to walk on. So many different birds to see. Enjoyed it very much

Sat Mar 30 2019

Great for walking the dog, running, and just getting out.

Wed Mar 13 2019

Sat Jul 07 2018

Boardwalk is super slick after rain- easy, flat trail. Portions are in full sun so sunscreen is beneficial.

Sun Jun 10 2018

Boggy towards the end but nice flat hike in the middle of aquidneck island

Sun Apr 22 2018

Great wide trail. I parked on Mitchell Lane and walked 4 miles to the Glen and then returned. Very muddy right at the start; I was glad I wore goretex hiking shoes. Easy/flat walk. A lot of it border the National Golf Course. More woodsy once you get closer to the Portsmouth side.