Pachaug Trail

Pachaug Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 734 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

cave

recorded Pachaug Trail

Was really 7.7

recorded Pachaug Trail

Humid and buggy. Parked across the street

great hike! I continued to finish the loop on the gravel road rather than backtrack. If you take that loop option, look for left turn off gravel road when hiking counter clockwise.

More like 9 miles. Lots of rocks you have to climb. It’s a bit technical at times. Not easy at all, but great hike.

fun trail given the area.

Too snowy for just my boots. I’m going to come back

It was a strong 20 knot wind which brought temp to 12 degrees so hoke was shorter than expected nice hike I’ll be back when weather is better

Sun Jul 08 2018

I did enjoy this trail but it was not clearly marked at beginning so I needed this app to get onto the trail. Also, read the signs when parking, we parked next to parked cars and missed the sign for trailer parking. Got an $89 parking ticket.

Sat Jun 16 2018

The only (slight) complaint I have is that the signage could be a lot better. Otherwise, had a great time on this trail! There is a little bit of everything - hills, rocks, beautiful pond views, a few mucky spots (my hiking poles came in handy in a couple of places), lots of ferns, some pretty mountain laurel in bloom. I used insect repellent and didn't find it buggy at all, which surprised me on a nice warm day like this. Only explored the blue trail this time, but will come back another day to hike the yellow.

Sun Jun 10 2018

One of the best trails in the area in my opinion. Wonderful cliffs in the middle of the hike. Couple nice views of Beach Pong. Can get a bit buggy in the middle of the summer so bring DEET.

Sat May 26 2018

nice woodsy trail. the entire thing was in the shade. bugs were not too bad. there was also a decent amount of rock hopping and some substantial up and down. ill go back.

Fri May 11 2018

Great hike! Neat little rock caves along the way and pretty views of the pond.

Fri May 26 2017

One of the best trails around, in my opinion. My girlfriend and I have been going to Beach Pond for the past 2 years, and never realized that there was a sweet trail right behind us. Embarrassing, I know, but Beach Pond is nice enough just being by the water. We typically save the hiking days for more moderate level trails, but this one was a great surprise. It is an out-and-back trail, so I does not loop back around by the water like we were hoping, unless you want to cut through private property and link up with N. Shore Rd. Which I'd have to advise against, at least in the summer months..even though that's what we did ;P We brought our dog, and he was loving life. Throughout the hike there are small creeks, lots of ups and downs, very cool rock structures that look like caves, and a deep valley. There is also a mailbox registry where the 2 trails meet. Keep Beach Pond Clean! I always see trash there which makes me upset because it's one of my favorite places around here.

Wed Feb 01 2017

We hiked this Sunday 01/29/17 with our Germaine shorthair pointer. Fun trail, lots to explore. We actually went in on Voluntown, CT side on Pachaug Trail, which part of it is a driveway for 3 lake homes. Just over a mile in we picked up the blue marked trail heading eastLots of rock formations and very large downed trees making it a very eventful hike. The best areas were when it brought us down along the Pond and across some huge glacier type rock formations with some neat caves. Some rugged terrain at times which made it even more fun. We did follow yellow trail at some points as well. It seemed well marked to us. We never went off trail unless we were exploring the trees and rocks on purpose. Total hike for us was 6.2 miles. But I feel like it can vary a lot, depending on which trails you mix in. We ended the hike in Beach Pond parking Lot just when sun started setting, just gorgeous sky over Pond!! Then we had to hike west over causeway back to our car we left at beginning of Pachaug trail. Great hike!! Will go back and do it again!! We

Mon Jan 23 2017

1/22/2017: Hiked a total of 8.33 miles. Started at Beach Pond parking lot on route 165. Followed blue blazes into Connecticut to Basset Mill Rd. Followed Basset Mill Rd to Old Voluntown Rd. From Voluntown Rd. followed yellow blaze trail until it met up with the blue blaze trail again. Great hike. It had a little bit of everything.

Thu Nov 24 2016

Fun trail, lots of blue and yellow to follow. We went on a VERY windy day and the parts of the trail by the pond were intense!! Found a "registration mailbox" midway through and filled out a page in the notebook, it was awesome! Parked at the beach parking and climbed up through the trees and quickly found a marked trail and began following blue. Would def go back to explore some more!

Sat Nov 07 2015

This trail is actually 8.5 miles and is an intermediate hike with some areas of rocks/climbing. The trail markers were hard to find or a bit confusing at points. I recommend giving yourself plenty of time for this hike and relying on a GPS or handbook for this hike. A beginner myself, I relied on this app and lost daylight before the end of my hike which made for a scary experience!

Sat May 23 2015

I wrote a review earlier this month and then went back again on 5/16/15 to complete this loop. Well to make a long story short we did the loop and ended up hiking 13.75 miles. I used GPS and a trail map and still had some issues, not with the Pachaug portion of the trail but more so with the Tippencansett portion. My loop ended up going north of Tippencansett Pond and brought me to Escoheag Hill Rd for a short period and then the water tower and the yellow blazed Tippencansett Trail to head back south. Somehow we lost the trail but eventually got back on after some trail blazing! In any event we had a fun day and I completed my longest hike to date.

Sat May 16 2015

I did part of this trail last week and went back today and did the full loop. It is a beautiful hike with lots of variety. It's nice to be close to the water and then loop back into the woods and see the big rocks and creeks. It was a lot of fun! We saw some different birds, heard woodpeckers and caught some red tree frogs! After you get to the boat ramp and hike for about a mile and a half further there is a span of the trail that doesn't have blue markers that you are supposed to follow (there are blue markers but the head off of the trail map). We had the trail map printed out and tracked our progress with a phone GPS so we didn't get lost. Eventually the trail showed yellow markers (you are just walking on a dirt road for about 1.5-2 miles) and then eventually they turn yellow/blue when you go back into the woods for the last mile. Overall it was a great hike; though it would be helpful for it to be marked a little better for that stretch! We were thankful for our GPS for those couple of trouble spots!

Sat May 09 2015

One of my favorites! marking can be a little confusing at some points. also goes by the the oldest historical cemetery in RI. great elevation changes, nice veiws, multiple options for routes. all around win!

Sun May 03 2015

I completed a portion of this trail yesterday (5/2/15) and will be back to complete the full loop! I parked across the street from the main Beach Pond park lot in a dirt lot. I crossed the street and went to the right a very short distance, and then the trail was to the left and was marked blue/yellow. I followed the blue Pachaug Trail almost all the way past the boat ramp to the section where you turn right to start the loop back, but I mistakenly thought I overshot the turn and ended up following the blue trail back all the way to the "mailbox", and then cut across to the yellow trail for a very small loop to the start. All in all I ended up doing 10.5 miles in 4.5 hours and it was a great hike! In the section of the trial I did there were some pretty challenging sections but nothing too crazy. Some steep/rocky sections and definitely not a trail for small children or people with any type of limiting physical ailments. I did have to stop and backtrack short distance a few times to get back on trail but overall I thought the trail was well marked. I agree the full loop as laid out here must be more like 8.5 miles v. 6.4 miles. I started at 6:45 AM in the morning and finished at 11:15 AM and literally did not see one other hiker. I can't wait to get back!

Sat Oct 18 2014

This trail was as advertised - an 8.5 mile moderate trail that is hard to follow if you park at the route 165 beach lot (RI side). RI should think of marking it better. If it wasn't for the book "Weekend Walks In RI", it would have been a little more difficult to follow. Not to mention you have a plethora of different blazes to begin with! But once you get on the blue trail (I definitely recommend going counter-clockwise), it is pretty east to follow. Expect a 4-4.5 hour hike. The moderate sections, ravines, small streams, rocks, are amazing. After the boat ramp you still have some rough going but it is by far the most amazing section of the trail! After that I section I would say it becomes an easy trail, but just as nice. When you get to the northern-most point. It turns into an old gravel/dirt road. There are cellar holes, stone walls, and an old graveyard (Exeter #1). Amazing to think of the people who called this place home! A couple of caveats on this section; dirt bikes love the the area and there can be large puddles of standing water after a rain. Overall, a most welcomed walk!

Sun Aug 10 2014

Follow the Blue markers!!!!! The start of the trail head is not marked well on the old "beach pond" beach entry. We figured out at the end of the trail we should have parked across the street. We ended up walking 10.5 miles instead 6.4 miles in 6.8 hours (Connecticut looks nice this time of year) the part we added was flat access roads not what is part of the blue trail.... We had to scale at least 3 30-foot walls and maybe 4 or 5 ledges with less then 12 inches at times. This is not a moderate trail or for bike traffic. I used 70oz of water easy.

Sun Jul 06 2014

Overall, this was a beautiful and well-tended trail. The entryway is a little set off from the parking area and was difficult to find at first--required some (minor) walking along Rt 165. The first mile or so of the hike was wonderful. We followed the yellow blazed trail and after it branched onto the big road, there was a lot of standing water that needed to be avoided. The major problem with this was that with the increased water, there were SWARMS of deer flies that really prevented enjoyment of the walk, even with ample bug spray. I would definitely return in the early fall. The trail was wide enough and well-kept enough that it would be perfect for enjoying fall foliage when the bugs aren't as bad.

Sun May 25 2014

Actually this loop is 8.4 miles. Lots of elevation changes. Beautiful but a nice challenge too. Hard to track the trail the last mile or two after running out of blue dots. Saw red squirrel, lots of lady's slipper , barred owls, king bird, woodpeckers,robins etc.

Sun Apr 06 2014

For the area, this is an enjoyable trail. It had very good views of the lake and offers a spot to swim once you are done hiking. I wouldn't recommend hiking this without waterproof boots though, as there were several streams to cross and many parts of the trail had water over them.

Tue Apr 02 2013

The box is cool I left my mark. That is at the beginning of the trail. Now and days the trail is not to clear and lots of fallen tree. Fun trail almost made me n my lady quit. We had to get some help from the locals and even that we still got lost some where in Connecticut. Luckily we had this book "weekend walks in Rhode Island trails saved our entire attempt at the trail. Ps the trail does not stay the same color the entire day. This trail was awesome starts in ri cuts into Conn. and back to ri... 8-8 1/2 miles of good old outdoors...

Sun Feb 24 2013

Easy to follow trail that runs along lake. Some minor elevation changes present. Sights found included rock outcropping on lake, small bridge and plenty of nice views. Easy to navigate and enjoyable even with snow, rain and darkness.