Pachaug Trail

Pachaug Trail is a 7.6 mile out and back trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

One of the best trails around, in my opinion. My girlfriend and I have been going to Beach Pond for the past 2 years, and never realized that there was a sweet trail right behind us. Embarrassing, I know, but Beach Pond is nice enough just being by the water. We typically save the hiking days for more moderate level trails, but this one was a great surprise.

It is an out-and-back trail, so I does not loop back around by the water like we were hoping, unless you want to cut through private property and link up with N. Shore Rd. Which I'd have to advise against, at least in the summer months..even though that's what we did ;P

We brought our dog, and he was loving life. Throughout the hike there are small creeks, lots of ups and downs, very cool rock structures that look like caves, and a deep valley. There is also a mailbox registry where the 2 trails meet.

Keep Beach Pond Clean! I always see trash there which makes me upset because it's one of my favorite places around here.

off road driving

We hiked this Sunday 01/29/17 with our Germaine shorthair pointer. Fun trail, lots to explore. We actually went in on Voluntown, CT side on Pachaug Trail, which part of it is a driveway for 3 lake homes. Just over a mile in we picked up the blue marked trail heading eastLots of rock formations and very large downed trees making it a very eventful hike. The best areas were when it brought us down along the Pond and across some huge glacier type rock formations with some neat caves. Some rugged terrain at times which made it even more fun. We did follow yellow trail at some points as well. It seemed well marked to us. We never went off trail unless we were exploring the trees and rocks on purpose. Total hike for us was 6.2 miles. But I feel like it can vary a lot, depending on which trails you mix in. We ended the hike in Beach Pond parking Lot just when sun started setting, just gorgeous sky over Pond!! Then we had to hike west over causeway back to our car we left at beginning of Pachaug trail. Great hike!! Will go back and do it again!! We

1/22/2017: Hiked a total of 8.33 miles. Started at Beach Pond parking lot on route 165. Followed blue blazes into Connecticut to Basset Mill Rd. Followed Basset Mill Rd to Old Voluntown Rd. From Voluntown Rd. followed yellow blaze trail until it met up with the blue blaze trail again. Great hike. It had a little bit of everything.

Fun trail, lots of blue and yellow to follow. We went on a VERY windy day and the parts of the trail by the pond were intense!! Found a "registration mailbox" midway through and filled out a page in the notebook, it was awesome! Parked at the beach parking and climbed up through the trees and quickly found a marked trail and began following blue. Would def go back to explore some more!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Friday, May 06, 2016

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Saturday, November 07, 2015

This trail is actually 8.5 miles and is an intermediate hike with some areas of rocks/climbing. The trail markers were hard to find or a bit confusing at points. I recommend giving yourself plenty of time for this hike and relying on a GPS or handbook for this hike. A beginner myself, I relied on this app and lost daylight before the end of my hike which made for a scary experience!

Monday, September 07, 2015