Pachaug Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 734 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

cave

We completed just under 5.5 miles. We turned around because we had our dog and it was getting challenging. I would rank this trail closer to hard. It’s very challenging in some areas and there are a few water crossings. One patch was all mud, you have no choice but to walk through it, even with our best attempt my boots were covered in mud, which I don’t mind. We’ll be back to complete the 7.5 without the pup.

I did the yellow trail and it was great for the first mile but then it was just a dirt road and boring. I also got lost on the way back ;)

There is just something about Beach Pond that invokes my soul. Instant mood boost on this trail. I did have to turn around much sooner than had planned . Heavy rains left the babbling brook mildly raging and I was unable to rock hop across without getting my shoes completely soaked. The trail still did not disappoint and will absolutely return.

This was a great trail for us. It was much more challenging than many other trails in the area. There were lustrous lake views, marvelous moss covered caverns, sparkling streams to cross, and long meandering flat areas to enjoy. Be aware that there nothing to signify the end of the trail. We accidentally went a mile past the end. We will definitely be returning to this trail.

flooded

Great trails. We made the loop around. Trail gets very difficult I’m spots.

Good hike. However more on the harder end of the moderate assessment.

Beautiful trail especially when trail is at beach area. I considered this a very challenging trail especially with all the rock climbing and walking on the narrow ledges along the rock formations. Many areas are breathtaking and gorgeous. The trail is very well marked. Lots of areas are swampy and marshlands. Might be a bit too buggy in the warmer months. But this time of year is perfect. I would be very careful not too this trail in the rain because there are lots of leaves on the ground and would make it even much more of a challenge because it would be too slippery and you really need to have good traction. Overall I am very happy I did this trail. It was a great accomplishment for me.

We parked in the former beach parking lot and headed up the Blue Blazed Pachaug Trail. It starts out easy enough, just a moderate uphill before leveling out. It runs together with the yellow trail for a short distance before separating. The trail gives you a bit of cardio as it winds through the woods and down to the lake and back to the woods. Eventually you will come to a series of rocky ledges that were a bit of a challenge for 2 senior citizens and then down to the rocky beaches again. The water would be inviting on a summer day, but the random pieces of broken glass would negate any ideas of going barefoot. The trails themselves were well marked and maintained, but the waterfront areas were disappointing because of the litter and broken glass. We intersected with Basset Mill Road, (just an unpaved cart path) about 3 feet wide. We followed this until intersecting with Old Voluntown Road, (another dirt road ) and circled back to the trailhead. I would not recommend this trail for younger children.

I hike this area often, as with much of this area there is much wildlife and history to see. There are several old foundations in the area as well as some old cemeteries, one being off trail (Phillips) where there is a grave of a Revolutionary War veteran which is easy to spot as I put flags there for Memorial Day. Blue trail is well marked, if people follow it further north they will find another parking area which is rarely used. Even though the gravel roads are posted "No Vehicles" you have to be alert for dirt bikes and ATVs who enjoy racing on the trails. Much trash on the trails so if possible bring some bags to help clean the forest. I enjoy wildlife photography so I tend to be off trail a lot. Watch for the stone walls as the can lead you to some of the hidden history of the area.

recorded Pachaug Trail

Was really 7.7

recorded Pachaug Trail

Humid and buggy. Parked across the street

Sun Jun 02 2019

great hike! I continued to finish the loop on the gravel road rather than backtrack. If you take that loop option, look for left turn off gravel road when hiking counter clockwise.

Sun May 19 2019

More like 9 miles. Lots of rocks you have to climb. It’s a bit technical at times. Not easy at all, but great hike.

Tue May 07 2019

fun trail given the area.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Tue Feb 19 2019

Too snowy for just my boots. I’m going to come back