Pachaug Trail

Pachaug Trail is a 7.4 mile out and back trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of the best trails around, in my opinion. My girlfriend and I have been going to Beach Pond for the past 2 years, and never realized that there was a sweet trail right behind us. Embarrassing, I know, but Beach Pond is nice enough just being by the water. We typically save the hiking days for more moderate level trails, but this one was a great surprise.

It is an out-and-back trail, so I does not loop back around by the water like we were hoping, unless you want to cut through private property and link up with N. Shore Rd. Which I'd have to advise against, at least in the summer months..even though that's what we did ;P

We brought our dog, and he was loving life. Throughout the hike there are small creeks, lots of ups and downs, very cool rock structures that look like caves, and a deep valley. There is also a mailbox registry where the 2 trails meet.

Keep Beach Pond Clean! I always see trash there which makes me upset because it's one of my favorite places around here.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

We hiked this Sunday 01/29/17 with our Germaine shorthair pointer. Fun trail, lots to explore. We actually went in on Voluntown, CT side on Pachaug Trail, which part of it is a driveway for 3 lake homes. Just over a mile in we picked up the blue marked trail heading eastLots of rock formations and very large downed trees making it a very eventful hike. The best areas were when it brought us down along the Pond and across some huge glacier type rock formations with some neat caves. Some rugged terrain at times which made it even more fun. We did follow yellow trail at some points as well. It seemed well marked to us. We never went off trail unless we were exploring the trees and rocks on purpose. Total hike for us was 6.2 miles. But I feel like it can vary a lot, depending on which trails you mix in. We ended the hike in Beach Pond parking Lot just when sun started setting, just gorgeous sky over Pond!! Then we had to hike west over causeway back to our car we left at beginning of Pachaug trail. Great hike!! Will go back and do it again!! We

Monday, January 23, 2017

1/22/2017: Hiked a total of 8.33 miles. Started at Beach Pond parking lot on route 165. Followed blue blazes into Connecticut to Basset Mill Rd. Followed Basset Mill Rd to Old Voluntown Rd. From Voluntown Rd. followed yellow blaze trail until it met up with the blue blaze trail again. Great hike. It had a little bit of everything.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Fun trail, lots of blue and yellow to follow. We went on a VERY windy day and the parts of the trail by the pond were intense!! Found a "registration mailbox" midway through and filled out a page in the notebook, it was awesome! Parked at the beach parking and climbed up through the trees and quickly found a marked trail and began following blue. Would def go back to explore some more!

Saturday, November 07, 2015

This trail is actually 8.5 miles and is an intermediate hike with some areas of rocks/climbing. The trail markers were hard to find or a bit confusing at points. I recommend giving yourself plenty of time for this hike and relying on a GPS or handbook for this hike. A beginner myself, I relied on this app and lost daylight before the end of my hike which made for a scary experience!

Saturday, May 23, 2015

I wrote a review earlier this month and then went back again on 5/16/15 to complete this loop. Well to make a long story short we did the loop and ended up hiking 13.75 miles. I used GPS and a trail map and still had some issues, not with the Pachaug portion of the trail but more so with the Tippencansett portion. My loop ended up going north of Tippencansett Pond and brought me to Escoheag Hill Rd for a short period and then the water tower and the yellow blazed Tippencansett Trail to head back south. Somehow we lost the trail but eventually got back on after some trail blazing! In any event we had a fun day and I completed my longest hike to date.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

I did part of this trail last week and went back today and did the full loop. It is a beautiful hike with lots of variety. It's nice to be close to the water and then loop back into the woods and see the big rocks and creeks. It was a lot of fun! We saw some different birds, heard woodpeckers and caught some red tree frogs!

After you get to the boat ramp and hike for about a mile and a half further there is a span of the trail that doesn't have blue markers that you are supposed to follow (there are blue markers but the head off of the trail map). We had the trail map printed out and tracked our progress with a phone GPS so we didn't get lost. Eventually the trail showed yellow markers (you are just walking on a dirt road for about 1.5-2 miles) and then eventually they turn yellow/blue when you go back into the woods for the last mile.

Overall it was a great hike; though it would be helpful for it to be marked a little better for that stretch! We were thankful for our GPS for those couple of trouble spots!

Saturday, May 09, 2015

One of my favorites! marking can be a little confusing at some points. also goes by the the oldest historical cemetery in RI. great elevation changes, nice veiws, multiple options for routes. all around win!

Sunday, May 03, 2015

I completed a portion of this trail yesterday (5/2/15) and will be back to complete the full loop!

I parked across the street from the main Beach Pond park lot in a dirt lot. I crossed the street and went to the right a very short distance, and then the trail was to the left and was marked blue/yellow. I followed the blue Pachaug Trail almost all the way past the boat ramp to the section where you turn right to start the loop back, but I mistakenly thought I overshot the turn and ended up following the blue trail back all the way to the "mailbox", and then cut across to the yellow trail for a very small loop to the start. All in all I ended up doing 10.5 miles in 4.5 hours and it was a great hike! In the section of the trial I did there were some pretty challenging sections but nothing too crazy. Some steep/rocky sections and definitely not a trail for small children or people with any type of limiting physical ailments. I did have to stop and backtrack short distance a few times to get back on trail but overall I thought the trail was well marked. I agree the full loop as laid out here must be more like 8.5 miles v. 6.4 miles.

I started at 6:45 AM in the morning and finished at 11:15 AM and literally did not see one other hiker. I can't wait to get back!

Saturday, October 18, 2014

This trail was as advertised - an 8.5 mile moderate trail that is hard to follow if you park at the route 165 beach lot (RI side). RI should think of marking it better. If it wasn't for the book "Weekend Walks In RI", it would have been a little more difficult to follow. Not to mention you have a plethora of different blazes to begin with! But once you get on the blue trail (I definitely recommend going counter-clockwise), it is pretty east to follow. Expect a 4-4.5 hour hike. The moderate sections, ravines, small streams, rocks, are amazing. After the boat ramp you still have some rough going but it is by far the most amazing section of the trail! After that I section I would say it becomes an easy trail, but just as nice. When you get to the northern-most point. It turns into an old gravel/dirt road. There are cellar holes, stone walls, and an old graveyard (Exeter #1). Amazing to think of the people who called this place home! A couple of caveats on this section; dirt bikes love the the area and there can be large puddles of standing water after a rain. Overall, a most welcomed walk!

Saturday, October 18, 2014

I meant clockwise. Go clockwise and get the moderate sections behind you first!

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Follow the Blue markers!!!!!
The start of the trail head is not marked well on the old "beach pond" beach entry. We figured out at the end of the trail we should have parked across the street. We ended up walking 10.5 miles instead 6.4 miles in 6.8 hours (Connecticut looks nice this time of year) the part we added was flat access roads not what is part of the blue trail.... We had to scale at least 3 30-foot walls and maybe 4 or 5 ledges with less then 12 inches at times. This is not a moderate trail or for bike traffic. I used 70oz of water easy.

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Overall, this was a beautiful and well-tended trail. The entryway is a little set off from the parking area and was difficult to find at first--required some (minor) walking along Rt 165. The first mile or so of the hike was wonderful. We followed the yellow blazed trail and after it branched onto the big road, there was a lot of standing water that needed to be avoided. The major problem with this was that with the increased water, there were SWARMS of deer flies that really prevented enjoyment of the walk, even with ample bug spray.
I would definitely return in the early fall. The trail was wide enough and well-kept enough that it would be perfect for enjoying fall foliage when the bugs aren't as bad.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Actually this loop is 8.4 miles. Lots of elevation changes. Beautiful but a nice challenge too. Hard to track the trail the last mile or two after running out of blue dots. Saw red squirrel, lots of lady's slipper , barred owls, king bird, woodpeckers,robins etc.

Sunday, April 06, 2014

For the area, this is an enjoyable trail. It had very good views of the lake and offers a spot to swim once you are done hiking. I wouldn't recommend hiking this without waterproof boots though, as there were several streams to cross and many parts of the trail had water over them.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

The box is cool I left my mark. That is at the beginning of the trail. Now and days the trail is not to clear and lots of fallen tree. Fun trail almost made me n my lady quit. We had to get some help from the locals and even that we still got lost some where in Connecticut. Luckily we had this book "weekend walks in Rhode Island trails saved our entire attempt at the trail. Ps the trail does not stay the same color the entire day. This trail was awesome starts in ri cuts into Conn. and back to ri... 8-8 1/2 miles of good old outdoors...

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Easy to follow trail that runs along lake. Some minor elevation changes present. Sights found included rock outcropping on lake, small bridge and plenty of nice views. Easy to navigate and enjoyable even with snow, rain and darkness.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

If there were such a thing, this would be a good "date trail". I took the wife around the small side of Beach Pond. We had no problem navigating the clearly marked trail. We even sat on a big rock overlooking the pond and had a small lunch. It was very nice. The rock ledges were pretty cool, I posted a pic from the base of one of the bigger ledges. I also posted up a few more pics from the trail. A couple of the hills will get you breathing a little, and the small stream crossings will make you watch your step...but overall an easy to moderate trail.
The small side of the pond looks like a nice spot for a lazy day on a kayak.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Overall this was a pretty good trail. You can park in one of two lots on either side of the bridge on the Rhode Island end. The trail we went on looped around the smaller side of the pond which is bisected by the Bridgeway. We went around a combination of the double yellow and one yellow line trails, which are pretty well marked along the way. Once you get around the back end of the trail, a second longer trail splits off to the left away from the pond which takes you deeper into the forest. We opted to continue around the single yellow line trail which follows the perimeter of the pond. Once you hit the old logging trail style road, I highly suggest you turn back. After a couple hundred feet the logging trail goes down into the backyards of some people who live just next to the road and there's no clear way to get back to the roadway. We ended up blazing a trail back to the road considering that it was only about a quarter-mile once the logging trail ended. All in all it was a good time, the ledges are great, and excluding the dodgy ending, the trails are very well marked albeit fairly rocky. There are also some great spots to stop and eat lunch, though it is worth noting the best spot looks pretty well partied in (during the off hours) by local kids.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Beach Pond is another hidden gem for both Rhode Island and Connecticut! The Pachaug Trail meets the yellow-blazed Tippecansett Trail at the pond. Unfortunately, swimming is no longer allowed at the beach on Ten Rod Road (Route 165).

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Pachaug Trail is one of my favorite hikes in Rhode Island. It is a mix of rocky hills, old fire lanes, hunting roads, pine and hemlock groves, stream crossings, and great pond views. But the highlight of the hike are the ledges. They are awesome. The trail skirts the bottom of some of the largest in the area, they loom high above you. You must rock-scramble your way in a few places, the trail can exhaust you. But finally, you make it to the gravel road and the worse is behind you. The walk back to your car is easy.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

great trail lots of different things to see ,there is mailbox at begining of trail to write date and such ,

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

This is a moderate trail in sections and difficult in other sections. Some scrambles, some stream crossings, some cliffs, some beautiful lake views. It is all wooded trail, marked by blue blazes. The trail crosses from the Rhode Island into Connecticut. Begin at Beach Pond off of Rt. 165. Follow the trail 3 miles to the boat launch. Then turn around and come back. Stamina and experience are needed for this trail. I would also recommend bringing a lunch or snack to eat when you get to the boat launch before turning around to head back. If you read any descriptions that recommend you continue on to the "lemon squeezer," I wouldn't recommend that. Our family did it but couldn't figure out what the "lemon squeezer" was, so it seemed like an extra .4 miles that wasn't really necessary.