Mount Tom Trail

Mount Tom Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lewis City, Rhode Island that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A small uphill to the top of a craggy hill in Arcadia management area. Be aware of hunting season and wear orange.

1 hour ago

Hiked this loop on 6/13/2018. Although its a nice hike, there is literally 2 miles worth of knee high grass out of 6.3 miles. It could use some traffic to matt it down!

Trail pretty wet from north of Old Ten Rod to Barber Trail.

It’s a good trail but consists of quite a few drainage type trench routes and roads that make it very wet, muddy, and icy through the seasons. I enjoy most of the route but 1/3 of it is like that.

A fine hike, but definitely NOT for “all skill levels”. You’ll be climbing up and down rocks for miles, so if that’s not your cup of tea, be forewarned!

first hike through arcadia. app got me back on coarse after a wrong turn :)

anyone have a favorite trail in arcadia?

its a nice trail not alot of trail blazing but this app was a life savor. we didnt need markers with this app

Monday, April 17, 2017

Favorite trail in Arcadia,

Monday, April 10, 2017

Hiked last weekend, some very muddy areas so boots are advised. No snow. Nice easy hike.

Friday, December 02, 2016

Decent trail. Took the white blazed in a loop, ended up coming out of Barber Rd. Nothing spectacular to see, minor views.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

This is only PART of Mt Tom Trail! Once you cross Ten Rod Rd following the white markers (Mt Tom Trail) takes you off the AllTrails plotted loop! You finish on Barber Rd.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

great trail for a first timer

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

We walked this trail today, Oct. 10th 2016 with two kids (9 and 7). The first part of the trail (heading South from the parking lot) was beautiful! Flat for about the first mile, following gorgeous Paris brook for a while and then on the second mile scrambling up rocks and walking on ledges. Unfortunately the view was mostly obstructed by trees, just a few glimpses over the woods were possible. But the children loved climbing around on the boulders at the top of the trail (about 2mi from the start.)
The second part of the trail north of Rt 165 was rather unspectacular but still pleasant, mostly downhill on a sandy dirt path.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Nice hike including some scrambling on rocks. we saw some riders on horseback and some people out fishing in the rivers. The only downside to this trail was when it intersects with the North/South trail, the white blazes seemed to drop off. You are left to just follow the blue blazes (at least as far as we could tell while we were out there) back to the parking area.

Saturday, March 05, 2016

I kicked off my 2016 Hiking Season with a simple 3.9 mile "ice breaker" hike. The Mt. Tom trail is an easy trail to do this. I parked as advised by Ted M.. at the canoe drop off area near the junction of Rte 165 and Mt. Tom Rd. This trail has the potential to be a pretty scenic trail once the foliage blooms. The white blazed trail took us along a river and then onto some rocky overlooks. When reading the reviews, I was concerned about my golden retriever having to climb rocks. My concern was unfounded. The trail easily wound around the rocks gradually getting you to the top for some nice views. It is pretty well marked trail that winds around in a large circle that ends back at the parking area. it was a good hike to start the season. I plan on doing this again when there later in the year.

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Great hike, only part I didn't like was having to cross a main road to get to certain parts of the trail.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

I completed this trail this morning (7/25/15) and made it into an approximate 7 mile loop. I parked at the canoe drop off/hunting check point area on Rt 165 a little bit before Mt. Tom Road. As noted in a previous review the trail starts at the back of the parking lot and is white blazed. The trail starts as a wide wood path until it crosses the Blitzkrieg Trail dirt road, and then it turns into a really nice section of trail that follows a stream to Mt Tom Road. After crossing Mt Tom Road the trail takes you through a great section of trail that includes the ledges. This is worth exploring and taking your time to climb various sections of rocks – although trees seem to impede many of the views. At about 2.3 miles the trail intersects with Rt. 165 and I continued north staying on the white blazed Mt. Tom trail. Just before Barber Rd I took a right onto an unblazed trail which led me to Sand Hill Trail, which I took south until I hit the Old Ten Rod Road. I took this east/northeast until I hit the Brookie trail. I took this south and where it intersected the Flat River stream (just before a small bridge) I went right off the dirt road and followed a trail which eventually took me to Rt 165 right across from where I parked. This last section of trail was really cool – the stream/river was very nice and it seemed like this section of trail is seldom used. In fact I had to do a bit of blazing and a crazing crossing where the Flat River and Falls River merge. Overall a great morning of hiking.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Great trail with varying degrees of difficulty. Very easy in the beginning with some rocky climbs beginning half way through(although short compared to our neighbors to the north). You can park at varying points along the trail to make it the proper length for your ability. I tend to hike from the head of the trail off 165 on the left near the JB Hudson trail (which would be on the right). We hike through the Wood River Junction and across Mt Tom Road until the trail crosses 165. Looking to complete the last stretch on our next run in this area and I'll update this with the landscape.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

During the spring when Mountain Laurel is in bloom or during the fall foliage, this trail is spectacular. There is a little scrambling in some areas, very easy to maneuver though. Great views of Beach Pond (bring your kayaks and paddle around after). This whole area is beautiful and great place to start your children off with some hiking.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

It's a fairly easy hike with a few rocky scrambles. I parked and started the trail via the Arcadia Mngmnt Area. Beautiful hike, overall, although I would not continue this hike past the highway as there isn't much to see and the trail becomes more of a horse trail with droppings along the way. If you do decide to continue the hike, this trail connects to a few other trails to make this a half day hike. I came in December which is a great time to see the views. Wear your orange vests during hunting season!! You'll also see TONS of downy woodpeckers here. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Nice scenic trail. I parked at the check point area on 165 and picked up Mt Tom trail there. Starts off with a leisurely walk through the pines and along a stream, then gradually inclines to the scenic areas. The rock ledges and cliffs are my favorite part of the trail. The moss covered rocks are more difficult to navigate when raining out, so try to avoid that if less experienced. Overall, a decent trail. I posted 4 pics from the trail.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

We did this hike as a loop hike, parking at the Exeter Baptist Church on Rt 165 and Frosty Hollow Road. By crossing the highway up Summit Road for 1/4 mile you will find on your right the White blazed continuation of the Arcadia Trail. This will lead you down a nice wooded/pine grove trail to a Checkout Station. The actual Mt Tom Trail starts here. The first part of this trail is easy, but after you cross Mt Tom Road the trail climbs higher and higher over outcropping and ledges. Great views are to be had from the top of these cliffs. The trail crosses the highway and after a mile or so of an easy wooded trail, it reaches Barber Road, a main artery of the Arcadia Mamagement Area. It's an easy 2 mile walk back to the car. Nice hike.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Nice little hike. Good views from the south-east side of Mount Tom (the actual peak is on the other side of the road and has no views). I would consider this more of a loop (as do other sources). My map was GPS tracked. Great spring near the Howard Barber Homestead on Barber Trail. Nothing left of the home, but the fields are still there. Some of this is a bit of a scramble, some of it is along dirt roads, most of it is pretty easy.

recorded mt tom