Mount Tom Trail

Mount Tom Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Saunderstown, Rhode Island that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 616 feet Route Type: Loop

A small uphill to the top of a craggy hill in Arcadia management area. Be aware of hunting season and wear orange.

nice overall.

This is a trail strictly for exercise. I was long and boring. Thank god for gps, because there are many parts poorly marked. This is not a trail you are going to see a lot of cool things. It is a walk in the woods, and a lot is overgrown.

recorded Recording - Jun 28, 04:03 PM

Me and Bax. Check station to stone chairs. 89°F.

Beautiful - filled with diverse terrain and a perfect sun/shade mix - Somehow we ended up doing a nine mile loop taking the north/south trail and Escoheag trail to get back to the car- c

The trail starts off really awesome and has a nice climb to some rocky ledges. (Stay on top of the ledges to keep on the trail) then it gets better once you pick it up again About halfway through on the you'll get to a bridge and there will be other trail heads. You actually need to double back on the Blue blazed trail and it splits off. Very easy to miss the last 1/4 of the trail was great for running but once again not marked so easy to end up on other trails zig zagging throughout the hillsides. I pretty much had to have my phone out to follow the map and my GPS to make sure I was on the right track the whole time while trying to run. This trail would be amazing if properly marked, it defeats the purpose of being outside trail running or hiking if your on your phone the whole time. There are a few road crossing as well that aren't marked where the trail picks back up at so once again your forced to orientate with your phone if your heading the right way. I probably won't be back but that's not to say it wasn't great scenery and cool trails.

Chloe Z has the trail markers exactly right. Using my cell’s gps and the AllTrails map we were okay. Brought the dogs and didn’t see another soul. Beautiful hike and now that I know what I am looking for, it will be all the better. Terrain is mostly inclining wooded paths. Some are muddy/spongey due to time of year. Sections near the stone chairs are rocky so watch your footing. Not much of a scenic view from the top, but saw clumps of mountain laurel about a week from blooming, so I hope to go back for that. Fairly long (I tracked 9 miles but there was backtracking while searching for the trail) but overall an easy hike.

decent trail length and conditions weren't bad. my route was about 8 miles

My son and I loved this trail. Moderate for me and a little more challenging for him (9 yo). Beautiful views. Sat on the stone chairs and ate lunch. Finished about half the loop. Will definitely come back again.

Nice hike through the forest with some elevation changes but no real scenic overlooks from the top

Loved running here!!! Peaceful with some really impressive overlooks and fun climbs. Would be lovely in the fall.

I finally finished this trail up and did the actual ledges section out of the canoe launch. What a great trail with neat features. Them stone chairs are awesome..

My humans took me to do this trail today. The first half of this trail was absolutely beautiful and well marked with white trailblazes. At the peak there are four man-made rock chairs which provide for a wonderful photo opportunity. Once you cross over 165 and approach what would be about the 4 mile mark you intersect with the North South Trail. These trails are marked with blue blazes. The white blazes end and there is no information to provide as to which way one should go to continue on the Mount Tom trail. We followed The blue markers heading south on the north-south trail.. Once you come out to a dirt road there is zero markings left for one to follow unless if you stay on the road (blue markers to left). According to the AllTrails map this is the wrong direction. From this point on regardless of which way you travel there are no markings anywhere. Hence, you really have no idea where you’re going other than if you’re all trails guide is telling you you are on the right path. I would not recommend this hike to anyone without having an AllTrails map. Definitely going to communicate with the Arcadia management team and inform them that the Lack of appropriate markings and information is out right dangerous for novice hikers. Other than that we had an absolutely beautiful hike. Wear shoes that are appropriate for wet muddy conditions.

Trail was not clear when we reached the dirt road. I agree that “ easy” rating would be an issue for anyone not in shape for climbing.

Its a beautiful trail and a decent hike, but I couldnt get over the traffic im the background, logging roads, garbage truck went by on a dirt road. All that noise ruined the secluded feel for me.

Fun hike through varied terrain. Long grass on both sides of the trail meant Long pants and sleeves were needed.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Hiked this loop on 6/13/2018. Although its a nice hike, there is literally 2 miles worth of knee high grass out of 6.3 miles. It could use some traffic to matt it down!

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Trail pretty wet from north of Old Ten Rod to Barber Trail.

Saturday, February 03, 2018

It’s a good trail but consists of quite a few drainage type trench routes and roads that make it very wet, muddy, and icy through the seasons. I enjoy most of the route but 1/3 of it is like that.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

A fine hike, but definitely NOT for “all skill levels”. You’ll be climbing up and down rocks for miles, so if that’s not your cup of tea, be forewarned!

Friday, September 08, 2017

first hike through arcadia. app got me back on coarse after a wrong turn :) anyone have a favorite trail in arcadia?

Friday, August 18, 2017

its a nice trail not alot of trail blazing but this app was a life savor. we didnt need markers with this app

Monday, April 17, 2017

Favorite trail in Arcadia,

Monday, April 10, 2017

Hiked last weekend, some very muddy areas so boots are advised. No snow. Nice easy hike.

Friday, December 02, 2016

Decent trail. Took the white blazed in a loop, ended up coming out of Barber Rd. Nothing spectacular to see, minor views.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

This is only PART of Mt Tom Trail! Once you cross Ten Rod Rd following the white markers (Mt Tom Trail) takes you off the AllTrails plotted loop! You finish on Barber Rd.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

great trail for a first timer