Moraine Loop and Old Pasture Loop

Moraine Loop and Old Pasture Loop is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Shannock, Rhode Island that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 285 feet Route Type: Loop

The Francis C. Carter Memorial Preserve is the second largest nature preserve in Rhode Island, with 841 acres of forest, wetlands, and grasslands. The preserve was envisioned as a place to learn about the natural history of southern New England's forests.

Bugs killed the trees. Warning. Do not do this hike if windy.

Trail was nice, well marked; however with the number of trees without leaves it left us with much more sun than we expected, no shade also encouraged more growth on the sides of the trails and really closed us in at times.

Great trail. We parked at 112 lot. Trail maps. Peaceful. Many birds. Perfect nature trail. Enjoyed in May. Sad to see so many dying oaks from gypsey moths. Well maintained. Lots of options to extend or shortcut your length of hike. Great nature conservancy trail.

great hike

Tue Nov 27 2018

Snowshoeing on the Park Loop is wonderful! If there is more than 18 inches of snow, the loop is superb. If less than 18 inches, there are some rocky spots that get a bit tricky, but just go slow those areas (in the first quarter of the trail, going counterclockwise from the parking area). Those rocky areas can also be bypassed by a few yards either side of the trail, but do go slow!

Mon May 28 2018

Quiet,well marked easygoing trails.5 overall different trails to chose from.Good light hike with a dog due to mainly flat terrain.

Thu May 24 2018

Beautiful hike! Only complaint is the gypsy moth caterpillars took over and it was impossible to walk through 75% of the trails without being completely covered in cobwebs and caterpillars. They were everywhere!

Sun Apr 08 2018

Hiked these trails on 4/7/18. Parked at the lot at approximately 930 Kings Factory Rd. There is a Kiosk there with map copies. Took the River Trail to the Narragansett Trail and then used the map to create an approximate 6 mile loop. My first time here and enjoyed the hike. Trails were dry even with recent wet weather.. Not much elevation change. Nice mixture of terrain, including wood trails, dirt/grass roads, and pastures. Some road noise in some areas of the trails. Did not see one other hiker. Nice that you can create hikes of many different distances and the trails are well marked.

Wed Jan 17 2018

This is a very nice, well mapped and marked hike. There are allot of different trails here. I hiked the perimeter. There were several benches to take breaks. I recomend it.

Sat Nov 11 2017

Enjoyed the orange and white loops with the dog. Well blazed with helpful and interesting signage. Saw a few deer. Wear bright colors, area posted for bow hunting Sept-Jan.

Wed Nov 01 2017

This is definitely a quiet trail. It was well marked and taken care of. My only problem were the ridiculous amount of ticks out there. It wasn’t until halfway through our hike that I noticed them on my dog. I picked maybe 15 off of him, my wife picked nearly 10 off of me. It was a fun walk, but just be aware and check yourselves when you finish.

Thu Sep 21 2017

Nice trails. Very well marked with easy to follow maps available on site. Varied terrain for the area and lots of big boulders for kids to climb on. I also loved the variety of trails and distances to choose from. Did the split rock trail and the moraine trail loops totaling about 2 miles with a 10, 8 and 5 year old. Didn't see anyone else the whole time.

Tue Jun 27 2017

We did a 5.5 mile loop with the kids (3, 11, 15... the 3 year old was in a backpack) and they did great. It took us 2 hours to go on the outside of all the loops.

Sun Nov 27 2016

A local favorite with many choices in trails. The Alltrails suggested trail is actually a combination of trails that takes you around the perimeter of the preserve. That being said, the trails are the best marked I've encountered with numerous markings, "you are here" maps throughout. So pick your trail, or cover them all!

Sat Apr 09 2016

We always enjoy hiking here!

Sun Sep 06 2015

Nice long trail little monotonous scenery Well-maintained

Thu Jul 09 2015

Good hike!

Mon Mar 16 2015

My dog and I love this place! We try to make it here at least once a week weather permitting. If you want to visit in the winter you'll need snowshoes or x-country skis. Another happy place.

Sun Mar 09 2014

Not a bad hike. Good for kids and dogs. Would like to go back in summer or fall when the foliage is out.

Sat Jan 18 2014

One of my favorites places. Well marked and beautiful. A great place for a beginner hiker like myself= great for dogs too!

Wed Jun 12 2013

This place is awful no trail to be found. What a waste of my time.

Wed May 22 2013

This mainly hardwood, oak tree rich preserve is great for beginning hikers. It is very well blazed and offers a few different trails (connecting for a nice half day hike, if you choose) and spurs. It's a nice, easy hike without much thinking involved (no rocky scrambles, obstacles, etc). I love how they put a few plaques for tree identification purposes BUT I did take off one star since there were only a few and the road noise (mainly on red trail) can be heard. All in all, great hike. I'd come back. Happy Trails!

Fri Feb 01 2013

I love trail running here. its very technical and requires a great deal of attention to where you place you feet. Still its beautiful, Horse and bike free, 3 loops that can be linked in such a way that you can run from 2-5 miles.

Fri Oct 14 2011

This Nature Conservancy preserve hike comes in two pieces. There is one loop through grassland. The other loop is through the woods. The grassland area has a stunning variety of plant life. The woods area is an area deeply marked by the retreating boulders. Judging from the stone walls, somebody attempted to farm it at one point, but the forest has long since taken it back. Also featured are more of Rhode Island's mysterious stone cairns. The day was rainy, and the trails ponded up. Otherwise, the trails were extremely well blazed and easy to follow. Supplemental maps are provided at junctures on the woodland trails. I have thus far noted the same level of trail quality on all of the Nature Conservancy preserves. NB: Bring your orange. Bowhunting permits are given out between September and January.