Long Pond Woods Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hope Valley, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

Drove to Canonchet Rd - we had the choice of taking two trails - we did both, starting with the trail on the left first, that ends at Stubtown Rd/Asheville Pond- out and back and took us about an hour (2mi) and mostly flat (and thankfully no sounds of gun shots) .. when we got back we decided to do the trail on the right that leads to North Rd/Long Pond - with no leaves on the trees it had some great views and some challenging ups and downs. I will definitely do this one again but will probably start at Canonchet and go on past North Rd and explore further out that way... total trip 2hr40 min 5miles.

wow. we drove from Worcester because my daughter wanted a rocky trail with scrambles. This delivered. It was beautiful and fun.

Did this hike today with my humans. It was a lot of rock scrambling and climbing up and over and around. I only needed assistance in a few spots. We started at the Long Pond Trail head. Some of the trail is moderately wooded and almost seems like you’re walking down a deer Path. Hiking boots are definitely recommended for the rock scrambling!!! If you are used to hiking up North (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire) you will find this relatively easy. For Rhode Island, this is a unique trail. This trail presents with the opportunity to do a little rock scrambling that is not common in many of the Rhode Island trails. Views of the Long Pond and El Pond at this time of year are minimal due to all of the heavy foliage. The trail is well-maintained with yellow blazes. There are a few areas where you need to stop and be mindful to find the markers. It took us about 50 minutes (We took a few minutes to view El Pond)to go from our starting point to where the trail ends at the Narragansett Trail North starting point. Our trip back was much quicker at 40 minutes. Although there is supposed to be no hunting in this part of the Rockville management area we still wore our orange vest. Keep in mind this is hunting season! Get out and enjoy!!!

this is such a nice trail. Haven't been hiking enough lately to be a great judge but I think, though short, it's on the higher side of moderate. But really clean and some nice little pockets of vistas. Today had a little more people than I remember in the past and a few had dogs (including off leash) but all the dogs were very calm and friendly and didn't detract from the hike. The trail is also really well marked in the areas we hiked and we saw a few families so don't be afraid to bring the kids if they are ok with some steeper climbs/descents.

Fun, moderately difficult hike. Some flat cruising sections around Asheville pond, but mostly rocks and roots. Plenty of short distance rock scrambles that will burn the legs a bit. Trail well maintained and well marked with yellow blazes. Make sure to take the spur trail at the west end of long pond for some great views. Overall a great time!

Great trail for the area. I would rate it above average difficulty. We took the right trail from the parking lot and did the out and back in about 50 minutes. My 40 pound lab mix handled it like a champ. Highly recommended and a must do!

Great, challenging hike with very steep climbs - about 5 ups and downs before the view. Avoid when rainy as the rocks can be slick. Worth the view though!

Super challenging hike with nearly vertical climbs. A good workout. Like another reviewer I saw two large black snakes. This hike will be really nice in the fall!

Really nice view!

It’s easy and slowly get to be med-hard

This was a pretty sweet hike for RI. There’s a couple cool spots to chill for a bit. Saw a few turkey vultures and two large black snakes up in a tree, that was surprising haha.

This is one my favorite

amazing, challenging, and beautiful views of the pond

Sunday, April 08, 2018

Loved it, love a of climbing and views to keep the kids entertained. A bit challenging at times especially if you haven't done a lot of hiking but not too bad.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

I apparently have given all of my hikes 5 stars, but this one is the real 5-star hike! Was surprisingly challenging given how flat RI tends to be. Beautiful views of Long pond after scaling a massive boulder. Will definitely be back again!

Tuesday, February 06, 2018

great hike with a number of vistas. You do have to know where the side trails are to get the great views. the trail is more than moderate.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

This was my first down and back trail, this is a good one nice inclines and declines. It was a good hike with beautiful views and gets the heart pumping.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

This is not a moderate trail but one of my favorites! Don’t forget to bring water! Absolutely Beautiful!

Saturday, October 28, 2017

We love this trail but must disagree with "moderate" rating. This is a difficult trail with scrambling up many rock formations

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

I've lived in Rhode Island a long time. One thing I've learned is that Rhode Island is flat. Yellow dot trail is more like New Hampshire that little Rhody. Glaciers cut deep grooves making the trail a series of climbs and descents. Less than a mile in from North road I called it quits. Beautiful area. Worth the drive.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Monday, September 04, 2017

Beautiful woods with several steep ups and downs to make it challenging. Unfortunately I couldn't see much of the pond from the overlook due to the trees.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

This was ok. easy at first, some definite rock scrambling further down the path. But in August you couldn't really see any of the ponds outside of a glimpse through some trees. Interesting to do once, not sure I'll be back.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

This was my first time hiking and loved it. Trail can be hard to negotiate at times do to the angle of the rocks. Use caution if raining, rocks will be slippery. There is basic climbing required, not good if you're just looking to walk. bring lots of water and snacks.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Saturday, May 27, 2017

We intended to go to Long Pond but ended up taking the left trail and went out to Asheville pond. Lots and lots of Gypsy Moth Caterpillars. But a very nice hike.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

My favorite RI hike so far. Be prepared for a good bit of steep hill climbing. Gorgeous area. Well maintained and marked. Just don't forget you bug spray :)

Thursday, April 27, 2017

I will be going back as often as I can.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Beautiful place with plenty of challenging climbs.