Great Swamp Trail

Great Swamp Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near South Kingstown, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

beach

Completed on 4/8/17. I have mixed feelings about this hike. More of dirt/crossroads type track. The power lines don't create the greatest vibe. Quite a few people by mid-morning. But on the flip-side the swamp area is beautiful. So many different types of birds and waterfowl. The ospreys and their nests are pretty neat. The pond is also really nice. So overall I'm glad I came and I would recommend it for anyone that likes bird-watching and water-views. Some great scenery. I would definitely recommend taking the trail to the pond off the main loop

Fun , easy trail.

Nice walk. Very kid friendly

Great 4.4 mile walk for aerobic workout! Spring and early Fall are best for scenery and nature viewing.

Was a 4.5 mile hike on a well marked trail.... took in the beautiful day filled with nature

Tons of biting flies and dull scenery.

Very good hike. Trail markers are slightly confusing, but still a very beautiful hike.

Personally, this is my favorite place to hike in South County. Coming from Colorado, where you can wander for weeks on all the forest service roads, I needed to have a place to just wander, zone out and not worry about where I was going. The Great Swamp is perfect for that. My dog (leashless from August to March!) and I love the wide trails and access to water. There are several options for loops, which are great for just wandering--you never get lost! The wide loop by the swamp is absolutely beautiful with its wide-open views, something that seems hard to find here in RI, where most everything is thickly wooded. I do worry about all the hunting going on in the fall and winter, but we made sure everyone including the dog was wearing orange, and it seemed pretty safe.