Francis C. Carter Memorial Preserve Trail Loop

Francis C. Carter Memorial Preserve Trail Loop is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Charlestown, Rhode Island that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Francis C. Carter Memorial Preserve is The Nature Conservancys second largest nature preserve in Rhode Island, with 841 acres of forest, wetlands, and grasslands. The preserve was envisioned as a place to learn about the natural history of southern New Englands forests.

Enjoyed the orange and white loops with the dog. Well blazed with helpful and interesting signage. Saw a few deer. Wear bright colors, area posted for bow hunting Sept-Jan.

This is definitely a quiet trail. It was well marked and taken care of. My only problem were the ridiculous amount of ticks out there. It wasn’t until halfway through our hike that I noticed them on my dog. I picked maybe 15 off of him, my wife picked nearly 10 off of me. It was a fun walk, but just be aware and check yourselves when you finish.

Nice trails. Very well marked with easy to follow maps available on site. Varied terrain for the area and lots of big boulders for kids to climb on. I also loved the variety of trails and distances to choose from. Did the split rock trail and the moraine trail loops totaling about 2 miles with a 10, 8 and 5 year old. Didn't see anyone else the whole time.

We did a 5.5 mile loop with the kids (3, 11, 15... the 3 year old was in a backpack) and they did great. It took us 2 hours to go on the outside of all the loops.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

A local favorite with many choices in trails. The Alltrails suggested trail is actually a combination of trails that takes you around the perimeter of the preserve. That being said, the trails are the best marked I've encountered with numerous markings, "you are here" maps throughout. So pick your trail, or cover them all!

Saturday, April 09, 2016

We always enjoy hiking here!

Sunday, September 06, 2015

Nice long trail little monotonous scenery
Well-maintained

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Good hike!

Monday, March 16, 2015

My dog and I love this place! We try to make it here at least once a week weather permitting. If you want to visit in the winter you'll need snowshoes or x-country skis. Another happy place.

Sunday, March 09, 2014

Not a bad hike. Good for kids and dogs. Would like to go back in summer or fall when the foliage is out.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

One of my favorites places. Well marked and beautiful. A great place for a beginner hiker like myself= great for dogs too!

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

This place is awful no trail to be found. What a waste of my time.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

This mainly hardwood, oak tree rich preserve is great for beginning hikers. It is very well blazed and offers a few different trails (connecting for a nice half day hike, if you choose) and spurs. It's a nice, easy hike without much thinking involved (no rocky scrambles, obstacles, etc). I love how they put a few plaques for tree identification purposes BUT I did take off one star since there were only a few and the road noise (mainly on red trail) can be heard. All in all, great hike. I'd come back. Happy Trails!

Friday, February 01, 2013

I love trail running here. its very technical and requires a great deal of attention to where you place you feet. Still its beautiful, Horse and bike free, 3 loops that can be linked in such a way that you can run from 2-5 miles.

Friday, October 14, 2011

This Nature Conservancy preserve hike comes in two pieces. There is one loop through grassland. The other loop is through the woods. The grassland area has a stunning variety of plant life. The woods area is an area deeply marked by the retreating boulders. Judging from the stone walls, somebody attempted to farm it at one point, but the forest has long since taken it back. Also featured are more of Rhode Island's mysterious stone cairns.

The day was rainy, and the trails ponded up. Otherwise, the trails were extremely well blazed and easy to follow. Supplemental maps are provided at junctures on the woodland trails. I have thus far noted the same level of trail quality on all of the Nature Conservancy preserves.

NB: Bring your orange. Bowhunting permits are given out between September and January.