Francis C. Carter Memorial Preserve Trail Loop

Francis C. Carter Memorial Preserve Trail Loop is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Charlestown, Rhode Island that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Francis C. Carter Memorial Preserve is The Nature Conservancys second largest nature preserve in Rhode Island, with 841 acres of forest, wetlands, and grasslands. The preserve was envisioned as a place to learn about the natural history of southern New Englands forests.

Enjoyed the orange and white loops with the dog. Well blazed with helpful and interesting signage. Saw a few deer. Wear bright colors, area posted for bow hunting Sept-Jan.

This is definitely a quiet trail. It was well marked and taken care of. My only problem were the ridiculous amount of ticks out there. It wasn’t until halfway through our hike that I noticed them on my dog. I picked maybe 15 off of him, my wife picked nearly 10 off of me. It was a fun walk, but just be aware and check yourselves when you finish.

Nice trails. Very well marked with easy to follow maps available on site. Varied terrain for the area and lots of big boulders for kids to climb on. I also loved the variety of trails and distances to choose from. Did the split rock trail and the moraine trail loops totaling about 2 miles with a 10, 8 and 5 year old. Didn't see anyone else the whole time.

We did a 5.5 mile loop with the kids (3, 11, 15... the 3 year old was in a backpack) and they did great. It took us 2 hours to go on the outside of all the loops.