Carr's Pond and Tarbox Pond

Carr's Pond and Tarbox Pond is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Greenwich, Rhode Island that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Part of the Big River Management area in West Greenwich, RI, the trails around Carr's Pond and Tarbox Pond are plentiful and winding. Trail options range from a quick walk around the pond to many hours exploring various loops and side trails.

Kids enjoyed the ponds. End of trail near the beaver dam was a little difficult for the kids to get through.

Very nice. Very quite on a Monday morning. trails are left wild and not well marked but easy to follow. Loved it. Will Definatly come back often

Nice trail, beautiful views of water and streams. Not well marked

Beautiful woods and ponds. If you follow the suggested itinerary counterclockwise, when arriving near Tarbox Pond it seems to go off-trail, or the trails are no longer maintained, I don't know. I took the blue trail that stays away from Tarbox Pond and I reconnected with the suggested itinerary further south.

Haven't seen the place in 20 years, still beautiful as ever!

I came in from Carrs Pond rd, near Middle rd. Its kind of marked...lol. Once I arrived at to the pond, I just walked the perimeter. I was a beautiful, wide open trail. Though it not well marked, Its still easy to get around, and was beautiful on a snowy day.

Great trail. Don't forget blaze orange during hunting stream. Loved the beaver dam.

end of the trail was washed out, had to double back to the 328 off trail but a great easy trail. majority of it is a fire road with some minor ascents. tarbox pond isnt much to look at but carr is gorgeous.

Very disappointed in this trail. Trails are very poorly marked, there was broken glass everywhere on the trail. Many people with dogs off leash that were bothering my appropriately leashed dogs. Very highly trafficked, no time for a quiet moment.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Its very pretty, with lots of little breakoff trails to the water. Only caution is many dogs off leash which can be nerve wracking. Ive ducked and dodged with my own on leash dog several times because of off leash dogs who seemed to not have much training. If its a concern Id say off season or during the week to avoid the bulk of traffic. At least directly around the pond. Its a very nice hike and even during the peak of bug season I didnt have many problems.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

No trails are marked bring a gps or your phone with this app. Lots of trash everywhere, but other than that Nice views decent hike

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Walked with my two dogs to the pond. As you can see from my photo there is a mud and stick dam. It was leaking and ready to burst. If it had let go me and my dogs would have been swept away. My 20 lb dog would not have serviced. I will never go back. The leaking mud stick dam is not visible until you are right in front of it. Scary, stay away!

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Very pretty wooded trail, easy to maneuver. Wasn't super clearly marked, but the map feature on this app made it easy to figure out where to go! Bring bug spray if you're going in the afternoon.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Monday, May 01, 2017

No markers on the trails so it was a bit difficult to follow but we still had fun exploring! Easy enough for the kids to keep up with us (5 and 7 year old)

Saturday, April 29, 2017

i would give this place 5 stars because its so beautiful and large.. but there were no blazers on the trails, and when they were it was incredibly difficult to follow.
overall, love this place.. the trails are just difficult to follow

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Great all around trail and easy to follow

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Nice hike. Not very difficult but long enough for some exercise if you do the full 4 miles or so. The only thing I would warn people about is the inconsiderate dog owners who refuse to leash their dogs.
I saw several people there today some of who had dogs with them. About half of them had their dogs unleashed. You know the situation, your walking with your family and LEASHED dog, when around the corner comes an unleashed dog that of course is going to come right up to your dog sniffing, then the barking starts, then the idiot owner says" she's friendly, don't worry." Meanwhile my wife nervous, kids are a little scared and I'm pissed off. Some people think the rules apply to them i guess. Thanks for screwing up an otherwise great afternoon.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

It's a bit treacherous crossing the streams with random planks of unstable wood. I had two of my sons and myself step into the river on a chilly day.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

From the parking area, we took the trail on the right side to Carr's pond, returning to the parking lot the same way. The trail was adequately marked and easy, except for a very wet swampy area. We managed to skirt along the edge of the trail there and walk over some downed trees without getting our feet wet. Part of the fun! We also passed the remains of an old car and stone foundation on the way to Carr's pond, which is pristine and beautiful! Out and back, it took about 1 1/2 hours. Would recommend taking a gps, as we needed to refer to it a couple of times on the return.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Beautiful day for a hike with my dog.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

We are definitely coming back with the canoe. It's a nice hoke in the woods with options for good short hikes or longer ones.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

great trail for an afternoon hike with our dogs. It took about 2 hours to complete at a leisurely pace

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Very fun. Lots of different side trails....crossing swamp was cool.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Nice fall ride

Saturday, September 26, 2015

What a nice, cool, crisp, non-buggy, early fall morning! What a great area to hike in! Completed an approximate 10 mile loop this morning (9/26/15) and there are so many options in this area. I bought the Great Swamp Press map of Big River which helps plan whatever excursion you may want to do here. I started at the intersection of New London Turnpike and Hopkins Hill Road, went east onto the dirt road continuation of the New London Turnpike, and then headed south and then east again to Carr Pond. I went north completed an almost full loop around the pond, then went south across Hopkins Hill Road and explored that area some, before heading back northeast to complete loop. Difficult to give trails and details because many are unblazed and there are many side trails. The map, my compass watch, and MapMyHike helped keep me on track. The swamp area between Tarbox Pond and Carr Pond is awesome, Carr Pond itself is beautiful, and there are other swamp and wooded areas that I hiked which were really nice. I will try to upload some photos. I think the sights, great weather and new areas for me made this a really enjoyable hike. Saw a couple of people on bikes and some other walking dogs but not a great amount of activity. Really nice hike!

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Really gorgeous area. Easy main trail plus a bunch of shoot-offs. Shame no one takes care of the trail at all, since there is trash everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. Broken glass all over the place, so careful with your kids or dogs.