Breakheart Loop - Hicks Trail and Newman Trail

Breakheart Loop - Hicks Trail and Newman Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I would categorize this as an easy Trail not moderate. It's pretty much a bike path. There was a pretty good hike about a half-mile in but it didn't last long. From there on it was a flat, no frills bike path. That, along with the annoying gun range nearby made this a below than average hike. There are many other better options in Rhode Island.

The beginning of this route is great for hikers. Some farm ruins and nice varied terrain. As you round the pond and take the right turn after a small bridge this very much becomes a mountain biking circuit. There are some nice opportunities to stray off the main trail and explore a bit but overall this course is more suited to biking. I rate it a 2 out of 5 based on the trails it competes with in the area.

Easy to get off the trail, not really interesting scenery... for the drive out here wasn't worth it

These trails are easy to get lost on, but you can go through pretty much any type of scenery you wish, just pick a direction.

Great! Enjoyed the hike.

Pros: Nice easy trail, sandal friendly, pond & brook, beautiful flowers, very light traffic
Cons: Trails are not well marked and many offshoots with no clear markings, very near gun range, bugs
Overall it was a pleasant hike and we enjoyed wondering off and exploring some of the offshoots, made it a 6.0 mile hike with an elevation gain of 384 ft.

A nice loop with some cool things to see. Unfortunately I'm guessing it's near a gun range due to all the gun shots. Can't wait to try some of the other hikes in the Arcadia area.

very nice great views of pond

Nice trail, not super well marked, but we had a time.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Nice hike but poorly marked trail. Some sort of map is required.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Nice trail. No wildlife

Friday, October 21, 2016

Nice and simple. Lake is pretty. Saw very little wildlife unfortunately.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Great trail, more easy then moderate. Beautiful area walking through a variety of tree species and different terrain. Stonewalls abound as the trail follows some old colonial roads. Nice area for birding or an enjoyable stroll through the woods.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A beautiful trail. One of my favorites so far. Beautiful beach. Went with my husband and we had a great time. We did 3 miles. In a little over an hour. We will definitely be back soon! Also we saw a snake on the trail and a couple chipmunks and an abandoned rusted antique car in the woods.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Great trail! It had a little bit of everything you would want in a hike. Some parts were narrow with boulders to negotiate. Other parts had wide open dirt roads. Make sure to keep an eye on the map so you don't veer too far off course, especially when you loop back.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Great trail. It's nothing too difficult. Overall little bit of everything. Will be back to better my times!

Check out this track on AllTrails:

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great walk good workout
The trails are poorly marked and you might want to bring a gps enabled deivice
there are a couple places you have to turn onto other trails to follow the loop All trails shows
if I had not brought my cell phone and checked the map my 4mi walk would have become much much longer

Sunday, August 28, 2016

A little of everything liked it!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Half of the trail is on what seems to be old logging roads - wide and mostly easy going. The other half is narrow and rocky. Very pretty hike but wouldn't have a brought the stroller if I'd know that! I carried our little one the second half while my husband fought with the stroller. We'd do it again but with the baby in a carrier the whole way!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Easy going trail with a mix of dirt roads and windy trails circling the pond.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Awesome trail. Different routes to take along the way but easy to follow. Great for the dogs and perfect for families. I will definitely be coming back!

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Beautiful hike very tranquil

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Cool trail. Had a mix of vehicle traveled paths and a little more challenging trail section.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

It was nice, very easy trail. Family friendly, large maintained trails.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Beautiful pine carpeted trail with waterfalls and bridges lucked out with a 46° January day recommend it highly

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Beautiful pine
carpet trail with waterfalls and bridges great 46° weather in January recommend it highly

Sunday, November 08, 2015

Beautiful trail. Easy walk with 6 and 7 year old kids.

Monday, August 03, 2015

Scenery rivaled some of the best in RI. Peaceful and tranquil. However the bugs were unreal. Incredibly frustrating. Looking forward to returning with snowshoes in a few months.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

I completed an 8.5 mile loop on 7/18/15 that started near Breakheart Pond and utilized other trails in this area. This is a good option for folks that may want to complete a longer loop. Instead of driving all the way to the pond I parked at the Frosty Hollow Pond Fishing Area on Frosty Hollow Rd (on the right just before a wood bridge). I then took the white blazed Baton Trail north out of the lot toward the pond. This is a fun section of trail (approx 1 mile) up to Breakheart Pond that partially runs along a stream. At one point you have to take a left to stay on this trail instead of going straight on a yellow blazed trial. Once I hit the pond I went right and eventually saw the sign on the left for the Breakheart Trail which is yellow blazed. I then followed the yellow blazes across the dirt Matteson Plain Rd and continued until I hit the white blazed Shelter trail, which I took and which eventually took me to Plain Road. I took a left on Plain Road and walked a short distance until the white blazes turned right into a meadow and then further south through a section of woods, where it eventually exited on Frosty Hollow Rd right near the fishing area where I was parked. A nice loop on a nice day! I will try to upload my track from Mapmyhike.