Breakheart Loop - Hicks Trail and Newman Trail

Breakheart Loop - Hicks Trail and Newman Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I would categorize this as an easy Trail not moderate. It's pretty much a bike path. There was a pretty good hike about a half-mile in but it didn't last long. From there on it was a flat, no frills bike path. That, along with the annoying gun range nearby made this a below than average hike. There are many other better options in Rhode Island.

The beginning of this route is great for hikers. Some farm ruins and nice varied terrain. As you round the pond and take the right turn after a small bridge this very much becomes a mountain biking circuit. There are some nice opportunities to stray off the main trail and explore a bit but overall this course is more suited to biking. I rate it a 2 out of 5 based on the trails it competes with in the area.

Easy to get off the trail, not really interesting scenery... for the drive out here wasn't worth it

These trails are easy to get lost on, but you can go through pretty much any type of scenery you wish, just pick a direction.

Great! Enjoyed the hike.

Pros: Nice easy trail, sandal friendly, pond & brook, beautiful flowers, very light traffic
Cons: Trails are not well marked and many offshoots with no clear markings, very near gun range, bugs
Overall it was a pleasant hike and we enjoyed wondering off and exploring some of the offshoots, made it a 6.0 mile hike with an elevation gain of 384 ft.

A nice loop with some cool things to see. Unfortunately I'm guessing it's near a gun range due to all the gun shots. Can't wait to try some of the other hikes in the Arcadia area.

very nice great views of pond

Nice trail, not super well marked, but we had a time.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Nice hike but poorly marked trail. Some sort of map is required.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Nice trail. No wildlife

Friday, October 21, 2016

Nice and simple. Lake is pretty. Saw very little wildlife unfortunately.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Great trail, more easy then moderate. Beautiful area walking through a variety of tree species and different terrain. Stonewalls abound as the trail follows some old colonial roads. Nice area for birding or an enjoyable stroll through the woods.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A beautiful trail. One of my favorites so far. Beautiful beach. Went with my husband and we had a great time. We did 3 miles. In a little over an hour. We will definitely be back soon! Also we saw a snake on the trail and a couple chipmunks and an abandoned rusted antique car in the woods.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Great trail! It had a little bit of everything you would want in a hike. Some parts were narrow with boulders to negotiate. Other parts had wide open dirt roads. Make sure to keep an eye on the map so you don't veer too far off course, especially when you loop back.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Great trail. It's nothing too difficult. Overall little bit of everything. Will be back to better my times!

Check out this track on AllTrails:

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great walk good workout
The trails are poorly marked and you might want to bring a gps enabled deivice
there are a couple places you have to turn onto other trails to follow the loop All trails shows
if I had not brought my cell phone and checked the map my 4mi walk would have become much much longer

Sunday, August 28, 2016

A little of everything liked it!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Half of the trail is on what seems to be old logging roads - wide and mostly easy going. The other half is narrow and rocky. Very pretty hike but wouldn't have a brought the stroller if I'd know that! I carried our little one the second half while my husband fought with the stroller. We'd do it again but with the baby in a carrier the whole way!