Breakheart Loop - Hicks Trail and Newman Trail

Breakheart Loop - Hicks Trail and Newman Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Exeter, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 239 feet Route Type: Loop

Easy trail. Nice walk through the woods.

Fantastic conditions, beautiful Pond, and waterfalls.... Exactly what I was looking for!

trail was fine. a bit wide at times for my taste, but pretty around the pond. overall nice.

excellent trail. good for a sunny afternoon.

Found a moderate trail hoping for a good hike. This trail is more of a walk. Much of the path is on a drivable dirt road, which didn’t make it much of a hike. The sunset over the water at the end was a good sight to see. Wouldn’t recommend if you’re looking for more than a walk.

Pathway is nice and big until you go right to follow the pond. We ended up missing our turn because it isn’t marked. Still had a fantastic time and ended up with 2 extra miles.

I enjoyed this hike. But it was cold, so I stayed within a couple of miles of the parking area doing small loops.

Only did the pond loop. loved the tree gnome.. Great quick jaunt and that back section with the river is so classic New England .. See you in the woods - Newman~

This is one of my favorite trails!it was a great loop. nice bridges not much water really good trail.but was very cold.so you should get lots of winter gear on when you go on this trail. but overall loved this trail!

Great trail for hiking. Bring a map. Well defined trail but intersects with numerous other trails within Arcadia. Lots of options to make hike as long as you want. Easily can do loop just around Pond, about 1.5 miles total. Great views. Wear your orange during hunting season. Good parking lot.

It was so nice for me and my dog

only 1.5 miles if you stick by pond didnt have full map til return.Wish we had whole map. Nice clear and flat

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Lots of ways to do these breakheart area trails. Today we did this loop roughly with a side trip to Alton Jones Whispering Pines campus to fetch our dog Zip, who decided it was more fun to chase deer than pay attention to us!

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

It's a good thing I know the trails from horseback or I would have gotten lost. The trail is not marked and I ended up missing a large section. A lot of downed trees blocking the path but easily gotten around. Will definitely try it again!

Thursday, October 12, 2017

I would categorize this as an easy Trail not moderate. It's pretty much a bike path. There was a pretty good hike about a half-mile in but it didn't last long. From there on it was a flat, no frills bike path. That, along with the annoying gun range nearby made this a below than average hike. There are many other better options in Rhode Island.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

The beginning of this route is great for hikers. Some farm ruins and nice varied terrain. As you round the pond and take the right turn after a small bridge this very much becomes a mountain biking circuit. There are some nice opportunities to stray off the main trail and explore a bit but overall this course is more suited to biking. I rate it a 2 out of 5 based on the trails it competes with in the area.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Easy to get off the trail, not really interesting scenery... for the drive out here wasn't worth it

Sunday, August 06, 2017

These trails are easy to get lost on, but you can go through pretty much any type of scenery you wish, just pick a direction.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Great! Enjoyed the hike.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Pros: Nice easy trail, sandal friendly, pond & brook, beautiful flowers, very light traffic Cons: Trails are not well marked and many offshoots with no clear markings, very near gun range, bugs Overall it was a pleasant hike and we enjoyed wondering off and exploring some of the offshoots, made it a 6.0 mile hike with an elevation gain of 384 ft.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

A nice loop with some cool things to see. Unfortunately I'm guessing it's near a gun range due to all the gun shots. Can't wait to try some of the other hikes in the Arcadia area.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

very nice great views of pond

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Nice trail, not super well marked, but we had a time.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Nice hike but poorly marked trail. Some sort of map is required.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Nice trail. No wildlife

Friday, October 21, 2016

Nice and simple. Lake is pretty. Saw very little wildlife unfortunately.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Great trail, more easy then moderate. Beautiful area walking through a variety of tree species and different terrain. Stonewalls abound as the trail follows some old colonial roads. Nice area for birding or an enjoyable stroll through the woods.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A beautiful trail. One of my favorites so far. Beautiful beach. Went with my husband and we had a great time. We did 3 miles. In a little over an hour. We will definitely be back soon! Also we saw a snake on the trail and a couple chipmunks and an abandoned rusted antique car in the woods.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Great trail! It had a little bit of everything you would want in a hike. Some parts were narrow with boulders to negotiate. Other parts had wide open dirt roads. Make sure to keep an eye on the map so you don't veer too far off course, especially when you loop back.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Great trail. It's nothing too difficult. Overall little bit of everything. Will be back to better my times! Check out this track on AllTrails: http://alltrails.com/tracks/track-sep-08-12-03-pm?utm_campaign=mobile-iphone