Big River Trail

Big River Trail is a 17.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Greenwich, Rhode Island that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

great place to ride. some easy trails but then there is much more challenging trails. The only thing tho, trails are not marked at all. I enjoy adventures so I dont really care about getting lost. Just ride smart and ride safe.

Loved it!
Great meadows and trails.
Just didn’t like the sounds of distant gun shots :(

Great trail with a lot of single track options as you go.

i haven't done this yet but plan on it but if it's anything like the carrs pond hike 4.1 miles the blazes will be awful and advise you have a fully charged cell to follow with gps or you're lost..other tgan poorly marked i loved it.

Many trails . Lovely waterfalls and pond. Trails not well marked but I tried to stay on perimeter of the pond. No bugs!!!

Can someone tell me where those stone circles are? Can't find them

Saturday, December 03, 2016

I'm in the process of exploring all of the trails a little at a time. Loving it!!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Hiked and geocached with the dog. Beautiful area! Lots of solitude. Saw a lot of cars, but only one person (mountain biking) during my 2 hour, 7.5 mile hike.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Great for a quick ride in the afternoon.

Monday, September 05, 2016

It's a great set of trails - about moderate. Great in the early morning when there are no people.
+ lots of trails - things to see.
- Not clearly marked so you need to use google maps.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Great!!!

Saturday, April 30, 2016

I like it moderate and fun

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Nice trail. A lot of trash. We read about sawmill ruins but couldn't find them. A lot of bike trails.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Lovely!

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

An unfortunate amount of litter with no clear trail markings.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Trails are not marked, and a lot trash. Other than that a good hike

Sunday, August 23, 2015

I 'd actually give this 3.5 stars. Completed this morning (8/23/15). Made this into a 5.5 mile hike. I bought a Big River Management Area map from Great Swamp Press which was a great help because there are so many un-blazed trails. The map, a compass, and MapMyHike allowed me to hike and pick the trails I wanted with some degree of confidence. I parked near the gate of Wincheck Gun Club. To get there I went up the gravel road of "Old" New London Turnpike, which I entered where it intersects with Henry Brown Rd in West Greenwich. After a short drive up the road you hit a gate and I parked there. Security at the gun club seems tight but I had no issue parking outside their gate. I hiked up the dirt road (turnpike) and after a short way went north (left) and then across Sweet Sawmill Rd and then northwest to Capwell Mill Pond. I then went east and then south to complete a loop back town to Old New London Turnpike. The trails seem mostly old wood roads/trails and are easy but nice to hike on. Sections I did not have have much in the way of elevation changes. . Bugs were intense, even with spray. Spray works but swarming gnats are still a pain. It's not a huge deal but for me it is a distraction which takes away from the overall experience. As I got close to the pond you could hear traffic due to the proximity to Rt. 3. Only saw 2 other people the whole morning, a father/son on mountain bikes. In addition to the peaceful trails a hi-lite is the old Hopkins Family cemetery, with graves going back to the early 1800's. This is on the turnpike on the right maybe a half mile up from where the gate is (from where I started). I will be back to explore some other areas, perhaps around Carr Pond.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Absolutely a great short hike. Some flat areas, a few hills that aren't so strenuous, and some water views at the beginning. Be sure to bring water for the pup! Have to memorize the trails if you go enough, as the trails don't have many markers but do run into each other quite a bit.

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Best non technical mountain biking in RI. Fast and flat, good for hard tails and beginners. Gotta hit up the roller coaster trail if you ride here. It lives up to its name.

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Our first hike with the Appalachian Mountain Club (RI) was at Big River Management Area in October. Blaze orange is a must as there were hunters everywhere and the sound of gunshots all around us. We even came across one "bagged" doe during the hike. Other than the daunting prospect of becoming rifle fodder, the hike itself was great. The trails were well-kept (and there were many more than a 2.3mi loop) and the historic sites and points of interest were many. I'd recommend this hike to anyone stout of heart and remind them to WEAR THE BLAZE ORANGE!!

Sunday, February 23, 2014

MUST WEAR ORANGE IN HUNTING SEASON. Showed up to hike but had to leave because it isn't listed as hunting friendly. Waste of time.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Loved this trail. Lots of riots and rock. Some tough climbs but not overly strenuous. Maybe my favorite in Rhode Island. Would like to see more trail markings.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Very fun ride.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

What a gem! Not as technical for riding as the Arcadia trails, bet definitely worth it. Looks as though it has been carved out for racing, as there are many bike mounds, which made it quite enjoyable. Not too rocky, and not too many rocks.

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Big River Management has many more trails than whats listed. Many are new bicycle trails that go deep into the woods. I walked with my dogs for over three hours and never saw the same area twice! Absolutely beautiful place with many water ways along some of the trails. Many historical landmarks mark much of the area and is filled with massive pine and thick in some places with scrub brush making you feel like your higher up than you actually are!

Enjoy!! Kota Bear