Arcadia Trail

Arcadia Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Saunderstown, Rhode Island that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.7 miles Elevation Gain: 813 feet Route Type: Loop

There are several different trails within Arcadia State Forest, most of the trailed are linked together at some point or another. The main trails are marked fairly well. There are two sides to Arcadia - North of Route 165 and Sounth of Route 165. Most of the parking is just off of Route 165, so its better to choose 1 side or the other, before heading out. **Keep in mind there is also hunting in these woods, wear bright clothing**

A little difficult to find at first and you ride on a ride for a little bit but overall good trail. The start had a lot of uphill at first but the rest of the trail seemed gradual up and downhill. Nice spot to stop and have a snack or picnic along the way. Watch for sharp rocks I️ got a flat tire because of it.

Ended up doing a loop around Browning Mill Pond and the loop across Arcadia Road that goes out to NooseNeck Hill Road after discovering big “area closed” signs when I reached the trail split that should have headed toward Ten Rod Road at the edge of the pond. All together, I did just over 5 miles. The pond loop was pretty and surprisingly not buggy. The section across the road was mostly a broad service road type path, and none too exciting.

Found easy, nearby parking at the J.B Hudson Trail parking lot. Walked back out of the driveway and across Ten Rod Road to an Arcadia Trail trailhead about 50 yards up the road. Took pic’s of signage for both the parking lot and trailhead, if that helps anyone locate. This is my second time running this loop. The first time, I used the app lightly and tried getting through on trial markers. Got lost at a couple different intervals that were poorly marked or not identifiable. This time around I used the app the entire run and it was pretty spot on, so I highly recommend keeping the app open for use of map. There were two segments (once early in the loop and once again about 3/4 thru the loop) of trail that were supposed to intersect with a dirt fire/maintenance road that I could not identify. They were only a few tenths of a mile long so I stayed on the road until the next intersection point with the trail. As a trail run I would rate this as moderate/hard (versus the app’s rating of moderate, which is a more appropriate rating for a hiker). This is due to roughly 80%+ of the trail having non-stop small rocks and roots. Also almost exclusively single track except for the dirt and paved road portions. The combo of narrow and obstacles slowed my pace a bunch, especially considering how relatively flat the entire loop is. I got the sense this loop doesn’t get much traffic. Fairly overgrown in sections with ferns and other ground cover. I also mowed through more cobwebs than any trail run in recent memory. Shading under the trees is great up to mile 9 where the trail pops you out onto pavement in a rural neighborhood for about half a mile until jumping back onto a less densely wooded dirt trail to finish out the last 2 miles.

Wed Aug 22 2018

The trails are typically marked clearly and are kept in good condition. People with dogs should know that many people walk their dogs off leash so just plan accordingly.

Sun Jun 17 2018

Did the smaller of the trails and it was a good hike. My husband and I did the trail around the pond. Beautiful scenes, saw the waterfall, and got a decent sweat out of it.

Sat Aug 12 2017

Did the western section and the trail seems to go on and off Summit RD. We stayed on the road as I knew the area. at the intersection of Summit and Arcadia Roads the trail looks like it is supposed to go through the fish hatchery but there were signs say no admission. We ended up staying on the road heading back to our vehicle. This is why my 2 start rating.

Thu May 04 2017

nice view and good spot for biking

Mon Nov 07 2016

nice

Sat Oct 22 2016

Parked near the canoe launch, gorgeous little area with a bathroom. Picked up the yellow trail, followed it across the road and eventually lost the trail. We ran into a family that had a printed map and that was a big help but still struggled a bit to stay on a trail towards the end. Kept listening for the sounds of cars and followed the river back towards the road. Followed what looked liked white triangles and then picked up a blue trail.

Fri Jul 22 2016

Perfect with the kids! Perimeter of pond just long enough for younger kids. Great time away from the beach.

Sun May 03 2015

These are the trails East of Bates Schoolhouse Road and South of Ten Rod Road (Rte165). I started the hike on Mt. Tom Trail, entering the woods from the Bates School House Road Point. I was immediately impressed with the clear yellow markings for the trail. This amazement turned to confusion a quarter mile into the trail as there were both yellow and blue markings. Than the yellow disappeared and left the blue. As we continued up the trail, the blue now became white and then eventually disappeared altogether. The saving grace was the well worn trails and the map downloaded from AllTrails along with my gps. The trails hiked were beginners trails at best. No exertion required. Nice woodsy atmosphere but nothing really worthy of pictures. This would be a good family hike with younger children. .

Tue Nov 11 2014

We couldn't find the trail head for the Arcadia trail, so we went around the pond, up a road and we found it! the trails are very well marked, but with out a map you really don't know where you are going. I looked all over for a map! thought I would find one on this site. disappointed on that. But it was a nice day.

Sun Jun 22 2014

The Arcadia Trail itself is out-and-back, but, being nestled in the Arcadia Management Area, it is possible to loop this into many other trails. Today, I went the out-and-back route. Many people may not like the fact that you get too close to Route 95. However, the trail does coincide with the North-South Trail for a significant period, including, but not limited to the Boulder Field. It also takes you to the Roaring Brook site, an excellent lunch location.

Tue Sep 17 2013

Nice place. Nothing amazing. Worth a trip. All trails worth a trip.

Mon Sep 02 2013

I was looking for the Ben Utter trail but there was no signs for it. I ended up doing part of the North South Trail

Thu Jun 06 2013

I parked at the Arcadia management area and there are plenty of trails off of the main road that runs through it. I only spent a couple hours there but had a great time on the trails. Not a lot of people there either. I went last weekend of May.

Thu Jun 16 2011

Couldn't find the trail. I used used the google maps link and it lead me to a posted private driveway. There were no signs for the trail in that area. Disappointing.