Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

El Toro and Tradewinds Trail is a 12.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,353 feet Route Type: Out & Back

By far the most difficult hike I’ve ever completed . It was uphill for a good portion. Also, extremely muddy in parts. The last stretch is very rocky and slippery. Please do not bring nice sneakers, they will be completely ruined. Also, do bring good gripped shoes. The way back was just as challenging in my opinion and I almost fell multiple times. I’m attaching photos though, don’t let the long mileage discourage you. This was one of the most breathtaking views I’ve ever experienced and so glad I chose this one. Ps bring lots of water! Bonus - we had some cute neighboring dogs greet us before and after our hike. They were all friendly!

flooded

Awesome trail but the muddiest of muddy mud.. And remember it's muddy.. Lol.. The first half an hour is uphill and fine.. Then It goes to uphill with no escaping the mud. Worth it to get to the top though.. Wear long sleeve and pants. All these reviews are for El Toro... I will do the second part which is Tradewinds but that would be a super full extenuating day. I took 3.5hrs up and back with a half hour rest at the top. Went fast and hardly took breaks. I would say level 6-7 on effort for a fit person and a level 10000 on mud factor ;)

I totally agree with Jennifer. Walking sticks are really a big help. Even if we had 3 days without rain before in San Juan, it was really muddy but we were the only ones that day (Sunday!) We only went to El Toro and back, nearly no stops and it took us 4 hours. We haven't seen where the trail would continue from El Toro to Trailwinds. 4 hours intense hiking was enough! At the parking 3 nice dogs welcome us and did the whole walk with us. They weren't homeless, in a good condition, no need to feed them. When you come by road 185 / 186 shortly before arriving you have to take a "desvio" by "Calle orchedea" because road 186 broke away, still not redone since hurricane, follow sign Restaurante Hacienda El Flamboyant, (just under the parking spot) Nice place with great view to hang out after the hike (open Thursday-Sunday)

Sun Dec 16 2018

Took me about 5.5 hours to the top and back to the trailhead. I did hustle back down because I was running out of light. Must have hiking shoes, pants, long sleeve. I made the mistake of short sleeves and my arms got sliced up in a couple places. Regular tennis shoes will not cut it on this trail. Also helped to have walking sticks for balance. Only one two spots where I had to climb over downed trees, it was no problem though. This trail is difficult during and after rain. Thank goodness for tree roots. Lots of deep spots that look like shallow mud, was helpful to poke around with the walking stick. After the "1.1 km left" sign to the top is pretty slippery and muddy. In general, inclines were no problem. And lots of tree roots on or at the periphery of the trail to help with keeping footing. I also liked that the path was obvious. Although the vegetation is thick is spots, it is very clear where to go. The trailhead is also obvious and has parking across the street. The views on ascent are beautiful. Be prepared that the cloud cover at the peak may block the view. Overall, a fantastic experience. I hope for clear skies next time.

Sat Dec 01 2018

Very muddy, but totally worth it!

Tue Nov 13 2018

This trail was no joke - it’s basically a mud slush fest all the way to the top, or at least it was for me. The summit was worth it though. Definitely wear long pants and sleeves if you can bear it - the foliage is sharp and unrelenting and will leave you with cuts and scrapes.

Sun Nov 04 2018

Difficult but the views are totally worth it!

Wed Sep 26 2018

This trail was the first one to be reopened after María. We went there mid-July. The trail was well marked and easy to follow. The trail is constantly being maintained by volunteers. The measured distance was 5.13 miles with an elevation differential of 1282 ft. It took our group about 5 hours with multiple rest stops. The most demanding portion is toward the end of the trail, but extremely rewarding. The views are spectacular! It always rains in El Yunque so good boots and rain gear are higly recommended. If you go, enjoy the trail!!!

Sun Jul 22 2018

Only did out and back to top of el toro but perfect 3 hr round trip hike with amazing view at the top for snack or lunch! The trail was open and was even being maintained on the day we were there. Definitely a must do hike but it will get your shoes muddy and our dog in this case.

Tue Jun 19 2018

Hiked this trail about a month ago with my girlfriend and had a lot of fun! You can definitely see how the hurricane has effected the trail and it’s surrounding forest; nonetheless, it was still a great experience. Prepare for mud...lots of it, especially after you pass the “0.7 miles to the end of trail marker”. It gets steep towards the top, but the view is worth it. Per my Apple Watch, I think I burned about 2100 Calories! Be safe and stay hydrated.

Fri May 18 2018

We hiked this trail 2 weeks ago (April 27, 2018) to the top of El Toro peak but did not continue the Tradewinds trail due to weather at the peak (the El Toro peak is about 2.3 miles along and Fitbit tracked at 172 floors elevation climb). The trail started off dry in the lower treeline, then turned muddy about 1/2 way up the trail. Still fairly easy to navigate with the rocks, branches and the sides of the trail. A good vigorous workout, especially the last 1000 feet which was a steep stone staircase climb to the summit. We encountered rain and high winds at the peak so we did not get to see the view ... but the cloud layers in the high winds that day were whipping the clouds spectacularly over the peak like in an airplane! It's evident the canopy and tree damage from the hurricane Irma, and we were told the Tradewinds Trail had not yet been cleared for hiking as of May 2018. The El Toro trail had been cleared in the past few months, but only to the peak. Wear good hiking shoes, prepare for mud and make sure you have enough water to keep hydrated.

Mon Jan 02 2017

Great!

Thu Dec 01 2016

It's a difficult Trail, but worth it. I recommend to not take kids to this Trail. Wear long pants and long sleeves...

Tue Oct 18 2016

Una experiencia inolvidable. Lo completé en octubre 16, 2016. Cuando llegué al tope no pude observar bien la vista porque había neblina. Sin duda alguna, volveré en verano para poder apreciar la vista. Tardé dos horas y veinte minutos en subir. Para bajar fue mas sencillo.

Sun Oct 16 2016

Hiked it yesterday, Saturday, October 15, 2016. The hike is both beautiful and hard. I recommend long pants and long sleeves. That will ease the painful weed scrapes. may take an average hiker anywhere from 6 to 7.5 hours to hike both trails as weather and trail conditions will determine your speed and progress. Large portions of the trail are very muddy, calf to knee deep mud in some sections of the trail. Hiking sticks are a must. Plenty of nature to observe, photograph and document. Incredible landscape views of both northeast and southeast PR all the way to the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea seen from 3,524 feet. Various species of birds, butterflies and lizards are abundant. Portions of the trail are not easily recognized, use tape if you look for the trail in those areas. Great hike!

Tue May 14 2019