Yough River Trail - Smithton to Whitsett

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(19)
Cedar Creek Park

Yough River Trail - Smithton to Whitsett is a 6.3 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.3 km Elevation Gain: 18 m Route Type: Point to Point

Smithton Beach, on the river near the parking lot, is noted locally for it's fine fishing. It's also a local swimming spot but currents can be swift and a few fatalities make the recommendation to stay ashore. Whitsett is a National Historic District, a classic coal patch town. This section of trail features two sets of mile markers. The original P&LE markers measuring rail miles to Pittsburgh and the new plastic Great Allegheny Passage markers for trail miles to Cumberland.

bike touring

Great Day For a Ride

Wanted to test my new bike out. I’ve been under the weather and hadn’t got a chance to ride it at all until doing this trail. It’s just a Walmart bike but it’s good enough for me. I started off in Smithton Beach area and road to Whitsett. Started my ride at 7:00pm & got to my turn around in Whitsett at around 7:25. Took a small break to yup my review at the ballpark before heading back to my truck. I remember doing this section before a few years ago but I had come from West Newton. It’s a nice trail all around really enjoy. Recommended for anyone.

Thu Oct 06 2011

Great biking or running.....

recorded Recording - May 23, 19:53