Yough River Trail - Boston to Buena Vista

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(32)
Renziehalusen Park

Yough River Trail - Boston to Buena Vista is a 12.1 kilometer point-to-point trail located near McKeesport, Pennsylvania that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.1 km Elevation Gain: 51 m Route Type: Point to Point

This is the part of the Youghiogheny River Trail. It is almost completely flat and meticulously maintained. The bend at Dawson Hollow Run is a nice place to see the mist rising off the river. There is also the picnic and camping area at the historic Dravo Cemetary. Any visitors to this area must either walk or bike a mile and a half,which keeps the place neat and clean. There are rest rooms, a water pump, a picnic pavilion and a grassy area to pitch your tents. The large field next to Dravo is rumored to have been an encampment of Queen Alliquipa, a strong native american leader in the area and friend of George Washington.

Love walking to the cemetery and campground. It has been a few years since I’ve been out there. But it’s always such a peaceful and scenic route. First time I’ve walked this direction. Feet really felt it for the walk back. But I would definitely do it again.

VERY nice trail!

backpacked from boston to Dravo's point. really nice trail. Overnited at Dravo's cemetary the campsite was very well maintained.

Did 4 miles each way. Some parts of trail need repaired from wash-out above. Other than that, real smooth

Excellent

Sun Jul 29 2018

Beautiful scenery along the river

Fri Jul 20 2018

This one of the sections of the Yough River Trail that I walk. It is a nice flat trail to enjoy at any time of the day. I walk either in mornings or evenings to avoid other walkers or runners. I see deer and other small wild animals often. I start my walk in Buena Vista and go to the Dravo campground. I enjoy sitting on a bench or at a table under the pavilion once I’m there before I walk back to Buena Vista. I have camped here many times. I’ve met some nice thru-riders that camp there on their way to Washington DC.

Sat Feb 25 2017

Great overnight camping trip with my oldest son and his friend from West Milton to Ohio Pyle on Yough River in '99.

Mon Jul 18 2016

Love it.. Did 25 miles.. Going all the way to ohiopyle next ride probably next week.. You can stop and take a dip in the river on your ride..

Fri Oct 09 2015

Bike the rails to trails or Canoe access to yough river, Dead Mans Hollow fun to explore

Fri Oct 07 2011

My son and I biked from West Newton with camping gear to the Historic Dravo Cemetery and stayed the night at the camp ground. About 9 miles one way. We didn't have room for all of the gear so we left behind our blanket and pillows. Big mistake. We were uncomfortable and cold all night. Even thought of heading back at 2am..but we toughed it out. Even though it was miserable it will be a memory never forgotten.. We plan on doing it again just better prepared....

bike touring