Wyggeston Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Prospect, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 859 feet Route Type: Loop

My hiking partner and I got lost 3 times while navigating this trail. Added mileage to the hike and got to do some extra exploring so I'm not going to complain. Muddy in some areas and downed trees made navigation a little difficult. Overall, I'd do this trail again.

While there were a few muddy spots and downed trees in parts, the trail overall is in pretty good shape down to the oil well exhibit, off of Park Rd. Beyond that, toward the State office, it’s considerably more muddy.

Very muddy not high trafficked so that’s a plus during these covid times. Flowers all over. Can’t wait to come back when things dry up some

Has potential, but overgrown and numerous trees down on trail. Too muddy and several streams run right down the path. Maybe better in the summer.

Fun and long with the kids

Very muddy in the areas of forested wetlands, but not bad. trail is in need of maintenance after the winter, and COVID-19. which is understandable. I only did the loop, just needed to get out of the house and visit nature

A few down trees and mud every where in the lower section, the top section is rather flat and easy travel.

the bottom section of this trail is swampy, and at the moment has lots of trees down, it gets better once you start climbing, the 1.5 mile loop at the top is great and you can park at that trailhead instead of slogging though this bottom section.

Very isolated trail even though it is near the lake. A nice walk in the woods, but not scenic and no destination at the end. When you reach the oil rig the trail is hard to find again and quickly became impassable because of thick overgrown thorns. The 1.5 mile loop at the start is thicker with cobwebs and brush, whereas the 2+ mile section heading to the oil rig is nicer trail (you do this part out-and-back).

Very overgrown and muddy. May be worth trying again in the fall or winter, although we went about 2.5 miles in and it doesn’t seem like anything to write home about. GRT is a much better option

This trail is highly disappointing. it is extremely muddy, overgrown in spots with tree down in the trail. You can climb over the tree, but after lack of trail markings and very deep, thick mud....we gave up, and went exploring along parts of the paved road instead.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Poorly marked in some places, which led us far astray on two separate instances. (Pay particular attention to make sure you stay on the trail when it looks as if it crosses the road and when it leaves the oil rig.) Also, it had some significant blockages. Nothing that we couldn't scurry over, but it was definitely not a "clear trail". Finally, it had no scenic component--we thought it would include pretty views of the lake, but they never materialized. We set out to find a long, hard hike and the Wyggeston Trail definitely delivered on that ask and we were CERTAINLY alone and isolated on our walk, but if we had another afternoon to do it again, I'd look for something different.

Sat May 26 2018

use this trail every hunting season

Mon May 21 2018

The trail was overgrown and had fallen trees across it making it difficult to maneuver along the trail. Also there are very few trail markers so it's hard to tell if you are going the correct direction. I will not be hiking this trail again.

Sun Aug 27 2017

Just ok...

Sat Aug 26 2017

There's a few blowdowns in the beginning but nothing that you can't navigate around. I had my 1.5 year old with me so we stopped rather than heading out towards the loop closer to the lake. If we do it again I'd recommend skipping the beginning where the marked trailhead is at and parking closer the lake by the park office. This eliminates the first .7 mile part which is basically a walk through grass a wide wooded path which would allow you to start right at a big rock which is where it actually becomes a trail and is marked.

Sat Apr 23 2016

Great easy to moderate trail. Some spots along the trail are covered with thorns but that was only in the beginning. We only saw 3 people all day so definitely not too crowded. Definitely would do it again

Mon Mar 21 2016

Nice trail. Relatively flat, aside from a medium incline for about 1/4 of the way out. Nothing too strenuous. Did the trail out, the loop and then doubled back. Took 4 hours or so with stops along the way. Recommend!