Learn more

Loyalsock Loop Trail around World's End

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(72)
Worlds End State Park

Loyalsock Loop Trail around World's End is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Forksville, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,505 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

beach

closed

what the f*** did I just do? The scramble down from the parking lot should have been a warning for what was to come. the first part of the trail to the loop was fine. a bit muddy but flat. we stayed at iron bridge about 4 miles in. the next day we went counterclockwise and intended to camp at worlds end state park. which you have to pay for and the camp ground is wayy away from the trail. when you see the very cozy looking sites by the river, and think to yourself. jeez im near the park but all these campsites are here. why could that be?! because worlds end sucks and doesn't want you there. CAMP BEFORE THE PARK! The hike to the next campsite is not worth it if you're tired. it was a nearly 13 mile day of ROUGH terrain. I am a fairly advanced hiker. the next day we hated the trail so much Just trying to find the link trail we took the road 14 miles back the the car to leave. there were lots of trails on the maps thag lead nowhere and really waste time.. they clearly don't want backpackers. so yeah. take it at what that's worth. never coming back thats for sure. best part was no mosquitos.

holy thigh workout. elevation gains are insane even if the trail is rated as moderate.... new hikers.... or if you havent been out in a while... you'll feel it the next day...but the views and the experience far outway the pain. enjoy.

This trail was a DISASTER to try to follow, even with the AllTrails map. Yikes

Great trail - not much traffic on it. We went counterclockwise which gave some challenging inclines. There is good variety rock scrambles, creek walks, and steep inclines. We did not take the blue trail down to the parking lot as you would have to be on the road walking to the link trail. Stay on Loyalsock to connect back on Double Run then head back to the road - it shortens it a bit but is much better then walking along the road. Overall I enjoyed this trail and would recommend this to anyone who like a challenge with beautiful scenery.

Ran/hiked a 4-ish mile portion of this trail with a group to get ready for a trail race next month. Such a great experience, with varied terrain and amazing views from the Canyon Vista lookout point. Some sections were borderline rock climbing, but that just added to the fun. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for skilled hikers/trail runners!

Awesome trail that had a good mix of everything. There are times I had to be careful to check the map, but overall it is easy to follow.

Nice hike but the trail marking are not marked as well as other reviews suggested. We ended up off trail 4 times.

This is not a backpacking trail it’s a hiking trail once you get on top camping is prohibited you have to go outside of worlds end park boundaries in loyalstock Forrest to camp out.

Beautiful scenery and lots of climbing. We drank a gallon of water during the day. Humid and hot with highs in 90's.

Sat May 04 2019

Great trail! Went counterclockwise. From start through the Double Run Nature Trail is absolutely beautiful. I would caution those hiking with dogs though. The Link Trail along the Loyalsock Creek back to the parking area could be quite challenging for dogs. Be sure your dog is very agile and sure-footed. I have a 125 lb dog who has been hiking for years and is great on trails, but this section was challenging . A stretch of it is simply boulders along the shore of the Loyalsock Creek, which has a deep and rushing current along this trail. There was one spot that I had to carry some of his weight to get him off of a high boulder onto a small landing. There is not a lot of room for error in this section, so I would not recommend it for novice dogs (or owners). Otherwise, a great trail!

Mon Apr 15 2019

Awesome trail. We did two modifications 1) we did not do the out and back from Mead Road to the Iron Bridge, we only did the loop 2) on the south part of the loop, the Loyalsock and Link Trails cross 2 times. We went clockwise so the first time we took the Link trail (as this route shows), but the second time we stayed on the Link trail and did not take the Loyalsock to Worlds End State Park (the Link trail seems slightly shorter). In total, the loop we did was 18 mile. Lots of varied terrain, some big ascents and descents, several water crossings, and plenty of rocks (it’s a PA thing). The trails are well marked, the Loyalsock slightly more so than the Link, but still really well marked. It rained the day before and there was a lot of mud on the trail. Overall though, really great. We did this in 2 days, 1 night. We parked at World’s End State Park, checked in with the Ranger to park and to camp for one night on the trail, you don’t need a forest service permit. I highly recommend trekking poles for this, though my husband didn’t use any and he was fine. There are several primitive campsites along the trail that all seems good, with Sone’s Pond being the most popular. We camped just after the Iron Bridge (going clockwise) which was next to the creek and flat. Plenty of spots to filter water along the trail.

Sat Mar 16 2019

My mother and I did the World's End Trail today (March 16th). It was like trying to walk up a slide filled with ice. We missed the World's End Vista entirely...as in, we passed right by thinking it was a scenic view not an amazing vista...plus there was no sign. We ended up doing the entire ice-filled World's End Trail, after missing the LT turn ( our fault...it is marked, but since we hadn't passed the "vista " we couldn't believe it was the turn we needed so we kept going expecting another trail crossing. ) Anyway, some pretty treacherous hiking for a summer hiker....at one point we were sliding on our butts to even make progress. I almost came down "the fast way"...if you know what I mean. yikes. I will definitely go back in the summer.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Tough hike however worth it. Various terrain with many different views. We added the cold run spur with this loop which added an additional 1.5 miles. Would definitely consider doing this again.

Wed May 30 2018

Waterfalls along the trail and the grand vista at Worlds End makes this moderate hike memorable.

Sun Apr 15 2018

This park is truly beautiful. Lots of water features, interesting terrain. My only complaint is that some of these trails are very close to roads. While the roads may not be heavily trafficked, you still don’t feel like you are truly “in nature.” Nonetheless, I still really enjoyed hiking here and would definitely come back again in the summer when the trees are in full bloom. We started at the Worlds End trailhead next to the Park Office, took LT to Pioneer Road, Double Run Nature Trail, took the Link Trail southbound, up to the Loyalsock Canyon Vista where we stopped for lunch and then finished the LT loop back to the start.

Sun Feb 18 2018

Short steep climbs with level grades in between. We did this as an overnight with a side trip into Ketchum Run Gorge, which I highly recommend. There is a west facing campsite at the edge of the gorge that the trail passes by. If you want to be treated to an amazing sunset, camp here. You can also hike down into the gorge. There is a small waterfall there. Very nice outing.

Wed Feb 14 2018

beautiful country

Wed Nov 29 2017

Beautiful day, had the trail to myself all day. The rocks looked a little intimidating shortly after passing Double Run, but really turned out to be no big deal. The view at the top is worth it, and hiking down via the Loyalsock Link Trail was a perfect way to end the day.

Fri Nov 17 2017

steep first then long rd.