Wolf Rocks via Appalachian Trail

Wolf Rocks via Appalachian Trail is a 5.5 mile out and back trail located near Bangor, Pennsylvania that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great 5 mile hike for my dogs and I! The trail IS extremely rocky with a brief 10-20 min boulder-like ascent. Completed this is two hours.

Surprisingly my GPS took my right to the parking area for this trail. The parking area is very small and on the side of a pretty busy road. It fits about 5-6 cars at most. I think there may have been another place to park on the opposite side of the road (where there were also bathrooms - port-o-potties I think, I didn't personally inspect them). The trail itself was great, pretty level and you're really just walking through the forest for the first couple miles surrounded by ferns and trees every way you look (and these super gross, giant, burgundy centipede things - yuck). As you're walking there are various spots where the trail forks, but there are logs (big sticks really) guiding you toward one path and blocking the other choice; so it's pretty easy to use common sense here if you're trying to stay on the main trail.

About 1.5 miles in we reached a very rocky area where we had to climb up boulders to get to the next part of the trail. It's pretty intense, but not so bad. My 2 year old German shepherd was able to do it and she's pretty small for her breed (also pretty crazy, though). After that you're on top of the mountain and still jumping from boulder to boulder, but traveling forward and not upward. Soon after, you'll reach a beautiful scenic overlook, which is where we all pretty much stopped. My pup and I went about half a mile further up just to check it out and the rocky area only lasted for about 1/4 of a mile. Then there's a slow decline back onto a dirt path and you're back to the green tunnel vibe from the beginning.

Godspeed, my friends.

a bit rocky, as is to be expected in PA, but a relatively easy hike. Be careful on the rocks but the views are worth the effort. If you don't feel like climbing take the blue trail around them.

Great hike! My husband and I loved the rock climbing part!!

From Fox Gap it's a cake walk until about 50 yards from Wolf Rocks. Beautiful skilled climb up WRocks. Great views. Worth it.

It was a lovely trail, especially in the fall. It is really rocky, but the view is worth it!

Great hike, very rocky but worth it. Great view atop wolf rocks.