Learn more

Wissahickon Gorge North Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(723)
Wissahickon Valley Park

Wissahickon Gorge North Loop is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 662 feet Route Type: Loop

We hiked 7/4/2020. I assumed a less than 5 mile hike and based on my typical hiking app, this logged as 7.23 miles. I use this other app all the time so I don’t see it being off so many miles. 1) lavender trail was marked. Orange and white was tough to find. Using this app to look back to was very helpful. 2) we followed the “red” on the app as listed for this. After you get off the white, you go back to lavender. 3) we saw more than 10 dogs SANS a leash. One set was an older couple and >4 unleashed dogs. Sorry but no. I don’t care he won’t hurt me. 6’ leash. Later there were two dogs sans leashes. One running through the woods. WTF. There are kids here. People allergic to dogs. This is not the correct location for unleashed dogs. 4) not a lot of good spots to pee. 5) mask or not - no one judged. We just all moved off trail and stood with our back to the trail. 6) limited picnic tables but we saw some! 7) very very rocky. To the point that the “bike” signs should be take down. Very few spots would be good for that. We are excited to go back and possibly join FOW! Beautiful but exhausting day!

This trail isn’t for mountain biking. Unless you enjoy riding over rocks and stumps I wouldn’t recommend riding it.

more challenging than expected but very fun! nice views (other than the gorge which was full of trash- yuk!)

private property

This trail needs to be marked better, i went off trail multiple times. also there was a lot of people out on the trail and in the creek. it is by far the most challenging trail i've been on so far. not the highest , but alot of Rocky hills. and i mean ALOT !!! i'll give this trail a 4 only because it's not marked better.

Decent trail being that it’s in the city!

only “moderate” at one part but still a good walk with pretty views. hard to follow the trail w/o the app though, not well marked

We entered from Chestnut Hill Ave and took the trail down to the creek, across the covered bridge, along Forbidden Drive, up toward Andorra Meadows, back down the switchback part of the trail and back again. It was a Monday hike so not super crowded but still plenty of people enjoying a walk on the sunshine. The only part of the route we took that is strenuous at all is the section closest to the entrance. It’s rocky and if you walk the trail that runs alongside the creek on the downhill, it’s a little slippery.

Great trail. Took me, my kids (12 and 8), and our dog a little over 2 hours. I’d definitely rate it as moderate. Some hills, lots of rocky areas. There were some cool detours along the way, including a fort/hut thing that the kids loved. Also plenty of places to get down by the creek. There also looked to be many side trails and offshoots. We will definitely go back.