Wind Cave Trail

Wind Cave Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Conestoga, Pennsylvania that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

cave

Wind Cave Trail: This trail is located off Bridge Valley Road (PA Route 3038) just south of the town of Pequea. If you are traveling South on 3038 you will follow the river out of Pequea and them there will be a curve in the road leading away from the river. There is some areas to pull your car over and park. Some are marked as tow away zones so be careful. Once parked, there is a trailhead with an orange diagonal double blaze. Follow this trail across a creek and down a access road to the rail road. Watch carefully for the trail leading up the hill on the left. Follow the trail up the hill and check out the amazing views of the river. At the end of the trail you will arrive at the Wind Cave. Enjoy the cave, but make sure you don't go in alone, and have plenty of light sources. Have fun.

@Jennifer Chapman: You are correct: the directions are not very clear just trying to do it on your own. I went for the first time a week ago with a friend, and we were lucky enough to find an older man walking down the main road that actually lived in the house on the hill right outside the gated entrance. Anyway, he showed us that the trail to the cave is a little pathway going up, where you step over a little stream. When you get past the gate at the beginning, the trailhead is right there to the left. As far as the railroad tracks, the gentleman told us if you turn right once you get to them and go down just a little ways, on the left is a large set of rocks where people often go swimming. If nothing else, I recommend climbing up those rocks to the top to get a great view of the Susquehanna. It's not too difficult of a climb. The last thing worth seeing is if you hike past the cave, there is supposedly a very large rock (called House Rock or something) where you can overlook the Susquehanna from a magnificent view. My friend and I looked for a while for this though and we couldn't find it. The terrain can get pretty steep, so find a good walking stick if you can to help support yourself

We parked at the boat docks (where this app takes you if you tap "directions") and followed the trail without any issues. There were times we FELT lost but keeping an eye on the map through this app got us there. We had NO IDEA how neat this would be. We went in the cave about 30' (9% left on my iphone while using it as my flashlight) which is apparently nothing compared to what is inside there. Something called the Cathedral room? Definitely do some research and prepare accordingly, highly recommended hike!

Went to this place 7/29/17 .. very highly recommend for the adventurer... there are maps online if you need.. we went in about 400'~500' but it goes much longer and we weren't properly outfitted as I assumed it was just a hole that would end in a few feet.. definitely a legit cave, after doing research I found it is the largest tectonic cave in the United States... suggestions are proper lighting & proper footwear & clothing ... and you want to bridge valley road & park along side the road...enjoy!!!

The direction to this place was ridiculous! After putting it into GPS and on Maps it took me to a side road where there were no trail headings anywhere. Walked with my kids over some railroad tracks as someone stated to do, and walked over a mile to nowhere. Thankfully a truck was driving by on the tracks and stated that we were nowhere close and did not know where the trail was. We got stuck in some awful rain and had to run back. I applaud anyone that found this place.