Learn more

Wilhelm Trail is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sandy Lake, Pennsylvania that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.9 miles Elevation Gain: 456 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Paved multi-purpose trail around Lake Wilhelm. (11 miles) Early in 1954, Pennsylvania Forestry Association president Dr. Maurice K. Goddard wrote a letter to the new administration of Governor George Leader, suggesting things that needed to be done for forestry. Leader was impressed enough to appoint Goddard as his secretary of Forests and Waters and Goddard went on to serve twenty-four years under five governors, establishing the Department of Envirionmental Resources and building Pennsylvania's state Park system.. The 2,856-acre park that bears his name is dominated by Lake Wilhelm, a popular fishing and boating lake. The multi-purpose paved trail circuts the lake and, unlike many paved trails, is not flat. There are numerous short hills and dips that can make this a varied but not difficult bike ride. The north shore section of the trail has a number bridged stream crossings and more open fields and vistas than the southern shore. The trail on the south shore shares Creek Road for a distance.

Great trail for biking/trail running

I walked the entire trail today. Not many walkers but quite a few bikes. Great scenery. The one thing this trail is not is flat. Plenty of hills including a couple steeper hills. A few small bridges. It was quite a workout.

Great trail!! Just got my bike and this was a very cool trail to do. Some small hills (some were steep) some cool bridges to ride across!! Great time!!! Highly recommend!!

Nice ride with some walkers early on and a few other cyclists. Deer fly’s were plentiful towards the bottom end near the dam. A couple of steep short hills towards the end caught me off guard. Will do it again.

Mon Feb 12 2018

I do all kinds of stuff at this park but my favorite thing is the bike trail. It is a bike trail that many people will find difficult because of the hills; however, if you like a challenge and beautiful scenery this trail is for you. It’s a fun trail but if I was inexperienced or doing a bike trail with a bunch of new to bike riding children I would do something else like a rails to trails only because of the hills. The trail is well kept and mostly paved with a small section being on a back road and a main road that had a wide berm. My bike has skinny road tires on it and I can use them on this trail.

Wed Sep 27 2017

Took Goddard-McKeever Trail which was more hiking oriented. 1.25 miles from Goddard to McKeever Nature Center

Sun May 14 2017

Very fun bike trail. Lots of slopes, bridges, nice view of the lake most of the trail. New favorite local bike trail!

Sun Aug 07 2016

Great trail. nice views. some fun ups and downs, but mostly flat.

Wed May 25 2016

Great hike. Excellent views of the lake

Mon May 23 2016

It was absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous views of the lake. I walked the whole thing with my 3 children. Stopped at the dam to have a picnic. Probably one of the best trials I've been on.

Tue Mar 22 2016

great loop trail. lots of wildlife and plenty of places to fish along the way

Sun Feb 14 2016

We did this one a couple years ago while visiting nearby.

Sun Jan 10 2016

A wonderful park. I did it two years ago.

Sun Jul 27 2014

Very nicely maintained trail for hiking or biking. I saw eagles, a deer, a fisher (which I originally thought was a baby bear cub...) many rabbits, chipmunk, etc. IIf you're into birds, you will love this place. More unique birds and wildlife than I've seen on a trail in a long time. There are some hills which were difficult for me to make it up on my bike, but also some nice areas where you can coast and just relax. It took me two and a half hours to bike the entire 12 miles, but I stopped several times to take pictures and look at things.

Tue Jun 04 2013

Great place to take your family and/or dog for a comfortable stroll. Definitely an easy trail because it is all paved, but it is well maintained and a good place for all ages to enjoy.

Fri Apr 19 2013

Very nice ride. Beautiful even in before the spring leaves pop. Well paved with mostly small hills and moderate curves. You won't be able to pick up a ton of speed because of the curves. Be sure to stop and check out the bald eagles from the observation area on the main road by the park. You can clearly see them flying and nesting.

Sat Sep 15 2012

Nice paved trail around lake. Very relaxing

Tue Aug 07 2012

Nice paved trail. Great for biking with one big hill on the south side and several hills on the north. I didn't have much trouble with them while biking, but I did a 1/2 marathon there this spring and the hills at the end took their toll! The Mercer County Trails association has more information on trails in this area.