White Rocks Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 518 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great rocks for climbing, repelling, and bouldering. Climbs the mountain to top about 500' gain, then heads out along the top of the mountain until it hits Center Point Knob. Joins the Appalachian Trail at Center Point Knob (about 1.5mi from trail head)

Very nicely marked. But it is very rocky. Not ideal for strollers or kids. can get pretty steep. Great view from the rock formations around 1 mile in. I would classify as a hard moderate.

Lots of rocks but clearly marked and fun.

Really nice shorter trail. My boys like a ‘destination’ on trails like an overlook or climbing rocks. They enjoyed the rocks to climb on. It is steep and very rocky at some points on the way up and would be difficult with dogs on a leash. Glad we decided to try it before bringing the dogs. Overall nice quick trail to try if you don’t have a full day.

Personally believe this should be a hard one. But worth a try for sure. Love it.

I would def rank this more on the "hard" side, as the rocks get bigger and harder to navigate - to me, it seemed as the trail was more obvious coming back once it connected to AT, but was harder to see the blue blazes at times coming up from the Kuhn Road trailhead. Because this trail is so rocky, and covered with leaves even in the summer, I would be VERY cautious of snakes. Wear long pants and high boots, be careful where you step or place your hand, and bring a hiking stick or poles to help clear and check questionable spots. The main overlook is about 1/2 way into the trail and gives a pretty view of other mountains. If you hike to the AT connection and follow it in the Boiling Springs direction, you'll see the Center Point Knob, which is the original site of the halfway point on the AT trail. If you go all that way, it makes the it and back 3 miles. Don't recommend this trail after a rain; many of the rocks are mossy and would likely get slick after rainfall.

Great shady trail. The ridge line is all rock and ended up being too hard for our old lab so we didn’t make it to the end.

white rocks to whiskey springgs

I went on a youth retreat here and the kids loved it, I loved it. The hike up is hard but it is all worth it once you get to the top. Beautiful view!

Awesome trail, on the harder end of moderate. I personally wouldn’t want to bring my dog, as there are some areas that require climbing if you want to get to the overlook.

maybe not the best for dogs

Start at the parking area on Kuhn Road. Follow the White Rocks Trail to the end where it meets the Appalachian Trail. That's about 2.9 miles. From that point you can take the AT south to the Alek Kennedy shelter and the spring, both of which are about 1.5 miles south. If you choose you can camp at the shelter or near the spring as there are some good tent sites, or even keep going south on the AT. Alternatively, at the point where the White Rocks Trail meets the AT, you can take the AT north into Boiling Springs. That's about 3 + miles. There's plenty of parking in Boiling Springs so you can park there, get a ride to the Kuhn Road parking lot and hike the White Rocks Trail / AT to your car in Boiling Springs. That's a great day hike

This was the 3rd time we did the trail. Our dog seemed to have a little bit of a challenge because of the rocks. She is 9 years old and we had to pick her up twice to get over some rocks. Other than that, I like all the rocks along the ridge. It’s a short, steep, and rocky climb to the top. Follow the light blue dots to stay on trail. It can be easy to go off trail and wonder where it went. Just stay on top of the ridge and go straight.

Awesome trail, the ridge has some rock climbing opportunities.

Challenging with lots of small & large rocks and really pretty hiking trail! Just be cautious of your steps, I turned my ankle, but other than that loved it!

Xander and Meadow consider this their first hike. Despite it not really being their first hike. We’ve tried hiking south on the AT just north of here at the edge of the cornfields and twice from Children’s Lake. Several attempts all ended in disaster. It was a bit wet or muddy most of the way. We had torrential rains the last two days for a few hours per afternoon. (Actually that weather is more extreme than we’ve seen for the past 4 years or so. It was somewhat dry on the ridge depending on tree cover. The kids liked scrambling up the rock outcroppings along the ridge. The wife didn’t want to go very far, so we turned around at the 2nd set of rocks that seemed worth climbing. The kids wished to venture on. Their naivety was proven as we neared the trailhead on our way back out. They were bruised and tired. You see earlier, as we reached the point of the ridge where you must begin your descent down the gradual slope of the mountainside, we impressed upon the children that they must use their muscles to control their descent. We told them they must slow their movements to maintain stability. We tried to show them, but they had to learn it themselves. Children who haven’t descended before don’t know some things about gravity, traction, deliberate movements, and possibly the most important, how smooth wet rocks behave at varying angles. Pennsylvania trails are gnarled, muddy affairs jutted with a multitude of rocks. On this trail, many of them are a quartz-like crystalline variety. “Perhaps that’s where the name comes from, ‘White Rocks’.” I pondered as I walked.

A great trail. There’s plenty of beginner rocks to climb and for those who choose not to climb the trails leads you around. Consistent traffic. Clean.

If you love rocks, you’ll LOVE this rocky trail. After about 15 minutes you end up at the top of the trail and hike along the rocks the whole rest of the way. We made it to the first outlook, and then kept walking but had to turn back because we didn’t know where it would take us. Fun trail, but your knees will surely feel it.

It was especially muddy when I went, but we had just dealt with several days of flood warnings. Other than that, I loved how rocky the trail was! Really fun to trek!

Extremely rocky trail that runs along a ridge line.