West Rim Trail

West Rim Trail is a 28.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Morris, Pennsylvania that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

A beautiful hike with some great views of the PA Grand Canyon that most people take three days to complete.

Beautiful trail best done over three days, great vistas well established campsites and plentiful water. Didn’t see a soul for two days, had the trail to ourselves. The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon is breathtaking. Hit the Wellsboro diner for a meal before you head out. It’s a great town!

Did whole trail in 2.5 days with two pups. Keep those dogs on leash if you bring them along. Lots of places they can get into trouble. Couple of tricky climbs in the rain, but all in all, well marked trail with beautiful views. Lots of great places to camp. Did north to south, seems like was the less popular direction, but worked out well for us. Lots of quiet time!

Took 2.5 days to do the whole 30 mi. I was surprised to find that there are no mile markers so we had to guess where we were based on roads we passed and elevation. All in all it was an awesome experience!

Did 16 or 18 miles last year with a couple friends and my 8 year old daughter. Great backpacking trail, breathtaking views.

I started at 10 Sundat morning and completed the 31 miles by 6 Sunday evening. I'd suggest anybody on the fence, plan to take 2 nights. this hike is great, from the views to the changes in scenery to the wildlife and I could go on but hope you find out for yourself.

Great trail to start backpacking on. Takes 2-3 days depending on how fast you're moving. We started from the south and went north. I suggest this because you get to see the best views on the last day.

I went here with my brother and it was a great trail to go backpacking for a weekend. I have to warn you there are bear cubs on some vista points so the mom bear was on the trail and we had to stick to the road for a little bit and get back on the trail.

What we did is pay Pine Creek Outfitters $50 to take the car at the end of Rattlesnake Rock. We started at the Northern Terminus. The trail was somewhat obvious and well marked. I can't say the same for the maps and there is no service unless you are on some vistas. To add the trail has very muddy roads which would lead to the river runs so don't bring brand new shoes!

Nice outlooks, well maintained trails, great for young kids.

30.2 miles. Point to point. Pine Creek Outfitters has a shuttle service. Solo hike in later Oct 2016. Well marked. Terrific views from the vistas.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

It was definitely *NOT* "moderately trafficked" when we were there. We hiked South to North and saw a couple of day hikers few miles in at the first viewpoint along with two unprepared backpackers whom we never saw again. We only ran into one group hiking SOBO - A father with 2 daughters. We did see a few people while walking through 2 parks in the Northern section, but they were there with their cars / not on the trail. Much of the Southern section of the trail was overgrown (summer 2015), but there are some amazing views with great campsites and some older growth forest. We did the entire trail in 2 1/2 days. We could have pushed it to 2, but were in no hurry/ When we came out, we turned around and did a SOBO 2 day bikepack of the Pine Creek Rail Trail. The combined trip was a fantastic experience - I'd do it again in a minute!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Saturday, May 28, 2016

A great overnight on the West Rim Trail along the Grand Canyon of PA.
Check the full trip report here :

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Only did half but it was really beautiful. Want to come back and backpack the rest soon.

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Backpacked this trail over a stormy weekend 10-2 thru 10-4, 2015. We set up camp 2.7 miles in on Friday night at the Northern Terminus. The first 16 - 17 miles had many vistas and well-maintained. But after the park, the brushes were overgrown - lots of tripping hazards! After Bohen Run the trail was more of a goat pass, you would be hiking on the precipice of a ridge with your foot flexed most of the time. At the top of this you will find your last vista. We bailed out due to an injury i sustained 1/2 mile before West Rim Rd. At this point we have already done 30 miles ( we missed a blaze that added 2 miles to our trip, where there is a fenced area of land to protect new forest growth from deer). If the trail was anything like the last 13 miles, we decided it was not worth it.

Saturday, December 13, 2014

The West Rim Trail is actually a 30.5 mile point-to-point trail from the southern trailhead on PA route 414 at Rattlesnake Rock access just south of Blackwell to the northern terminus on Colton Point Road, Ansonia, PA. My new friend Dan and I hustled up this moderate path on May 4, 2014, a perfect day for hiking. We parked my vehicle at Ansonia and, in Dan's car, took the scenic ride on West Rim Road to our starting point on Route 414. This ride on the gravel no-winter-maintenance road through the hardwood forests of Tioga State Forest is well worth the extra time, compared to the hard road route that goes through Wellsboro, Morris, and thence to Blackwell. Dan and I got a relatively late start, beginning our hike at 9:00 a.m. with light packs consisting mostly of water and energy bars. It was a warm day for early May, requiring lots of water to keep hydrated. However, you'll find there is no shortage of water (you'll want to filter it) on this well maintained and blazed trail. Dan is a much faster hiker than I am. He hustled ahead several times and waited for me to catch up. Consequently he burned off more water than I did, going through seven liters of H²O. At the beginning of the West Rim Trail we experienced he steepest and longest ascent up Lloyd Run Hollow. However, it's a modest climb of about 1000 feet over a course of 1.77 miles topping out at 1875 feet elevation near the intersection of Long Run Trail. The pathway stayed relatively level for the rest of our journey, treating us to several vistas overlooking the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania along the way. A free map from Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) pinpoints sixteen vistas that begged us to stop for photo taking. I did not take any pictures for two reasons. Firstly, we had to cover over thirty miles before dark and secondly, I forgot my camera. Be inspired by the many photos on the link below. Phone coverage is very spotty in this remote area so I'd advise that you stick with your hiking companions. Most hikers respectfully treat the West Rim Trail as a backpacking adventure, completing the 30+ miles in about two-and-a-half days. There are many desirable primitive camping spots along the way that do not require a special permit if you camp for only one night. Dan and I completed our ambitious hike within our goal of less than twelve hours. I arrived at the northern terminus at 8:50 p.m., catching up with Dan who had been there for almost an hour. I was not disappointed that my 79 year old legs carried me the distance.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Hiked this trail with my son over a 3 day period in late may. The vistas of Pine Creek Gorge are splended. The trail is well marked. Water and camping sites are abundant, especially on the northern half. We started on a tuesday afternoon and finished on friday afternoon. We encountered noone else until late Friday morning. This is a great trail as you get a sence of isolation and great views from one end to the other. I would recomend it to anyone.

Friday, May 30, 2014

My family and I backpacked this over 3 days. We hiked it southbound and view is best in the northern part of the trail. Southern portion was less pretty and the brush really encroached on the trail at places near the southern end. Camping sites were not as easy to find as we went past the halfway point.