Water Trough Hollow Trail

Water Trough Hollow Trail is a 3.6 mile out and back trail located near Gaines, Pennsylvania that features a great forest setting. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Decided to finally try this trail. Parking is an issue, as I had to drive about a half-mile down the road toward South Renovo to find a spot, where there is a large pull off for another trial head. I should mention there is an initial, relatively steep descent down the bank after climbing over the guard rail, but it is only about 50 feet or so in length. I never really found any "trail" so to speak, rather I simply followed the ravine and traveled upstream. The walk was not difficult, though one does have to make many stream crossings along the way. The stream is rather small so it was not too much of an obstacle. Also, since i never really found any trail I never actually reached any ending before turning around. Looking at the map now I believe I took the ravine to the right (south) instead of left (east). Regardless, this was a truly beautiful hike. Very steep ravines were on either side interspersed with laurel patches. I saw quite a few deer and heard the loudest woodpecker I have ever encountered. I plan on going back after the plants start coming to life. Overall this is a very nice hike.