Valley Forge Historical Trail

Valley Forge Historical Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Valley Forge Historic Trail was put together by the Cradle of Liberty Boy Scout of America Council and the National Park Service. This hike is designed to offer recreation to adults and youth while providing a lesson on the history of the park. Scouts can earn a medal for completing the trail. The hike starts and ends at the Valley Forge Visitor's Center and covers 9 miles. Hiking this trail as intended requires a map and compass, along with the skills to use them (orienteering is required). There is little access to water on the trail, although water can be obtained about halfway through at the train station restrooms. Bring plenty of water to drink anyhow. For this trail to be experienced at its fullest, a Boy Scouts of America trail booklet can be purchased at the visitors center for under $3. The book provides a map, instructions on the steps to take, azimuths necessary to stay on course, and historical information to enhance your visit. Terrain- The terrain of the trail includes, fields, forests, paved paths, dirt trails, and many monuments and historical sites, which are all situated on rolling hills.

great historical hike

great hike

Great walking or running trail!

It is great trail!

Love this place. For the most part it is easy paved rolling hills but we added the Mt Misery to Horseshoe Trail which added some nice solid hiking. We ended up doing just over 8 miles but you can shorten it or lengthen it to your desired hiking time. A little touristy due to all the historical significance, but well worth the effort to make this trip.

Great historical hike

Great hike with my boys!

Overall, a great trail. My favorite trail parts were in the woods area.

Monday, February 13, 2017

Heavily trafficked trail. the back side of the trail around horseshoe, and misery were less crowded ave most challenging considering it wasn't paved like the rest of the trail. nonetheless great history and sights to be seen

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Once you get into the woods the experience improves significantly. Outside of the woods trails are mostly pathed. Much better for jogging. Still historic houses, and other sites to see. Overall worth the trip.

Monday, June 27, 2016

It was a very beautiful and scenic trail. The wildflowers are beautiful and smell amazing. I enjoyed watching the birds and butterflies as well! The only down side for me was the portion of the trail right along the road, it was loud and not very peaceful but other than that I loved it!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Beautiful surroundings. The best part is once you're in woods!

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Nice walk. Many people. All asphalt trail. 5.78 miles on loop.

paddle sports
Saturday, September 19, 2015

I went on a really nice day, I ended up walking 5 miles! The trail is all paved and very nice!!!!

Monday, August 03, 2015

Good one for beginners.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Long walk, some confusing sign ways, but still very rewarding

Friday, July 03, 2015

for below review :)

Friday, July 03, 2015

Annie - I did Mount Misery/Mount Joy today too. I think I did exactly what you did at the fork and ended up down along Valley Creek. However, I had the whole day to kill and really wanted to do the larger loop, so I went back up and went right at the fork. There was a sign there but it was very hard to follow. I missed it the first time. Definitely go back one day, I think it was worth it and the the second half of the trail on Mount Joy was really a really good hike as well. I followed the link below for trail directions. It was pretty clear except for the fork part, and when you get to the bottom of mount misery, there was no parking lot. You just cross the road and go straight up the driveway past the estate.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Hiked Mount Misery while here. Had wanted to do the big loop, but once up there and at the fork, went left and followed the trail and somehow ended up back at the road at the bottom of the mount... Disappointed there wasn't proper signage to help those that want to stay on the established trails. For those in the future, I think we went wrong at the creek: We took the trail that went up the bank and to the left, but I think the real trail is up the bank and to the right? Don't know for sure, that's my best guess.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Hiked Mount Misery in the fall. Great difficult workout. Then decided to take Mount Joy back thinking it would be easier. No go! Almost as tough as Mount Misery