Learn more

Trout Run Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pequea, Pennsylvania that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 239 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Thank goodness for Alltrails and cellular signal because there are blue blazes everywhere! I went off this designated trail twice. Follow the map.

quite peaceful and a nice hike, lots of birds and a nice looking stream possible wild trout going back to prospect the water, not a trail for young children, lots of outcrops of rock formations, and most of trail is tight.

(July 2019) Beware- Attacked by wasps less then 1mi into the trail. (My suggestion is to Bring a first aid kit just in case and don’t leave the trail path) We entered the trail by walking up the steep path to the top of the tunnel, then quickly got off course and ended up on the rail trail. We walked the rail trail for a couple minutes then to stopped to get fresh raspberries from a bush. About 10 feet away, my 2 year old lost his footing in the bumpy grass and landed on a wasp nest. We had to walk at least 50 feet away and take off his clothes for them to stop attacking us. We checked everyone’s stings then figured out a strategy to walk back to the car. We had to leave behind his blue summer hat at the place he fell because it was surrounded by at least 20 wasps.

Hidden gem in Lancaster County, a new favorite. I would not call this an easy trail and would not take kids under 10 years old as the trail is narrow and rocky along a steep ridge in parts. I was not able to find the trailhead where the app directions led, so I parked at Steinman and went in from there. Beautiful scenery, very quiet, will definitely hike again.

Trout Run is a lovely trail that forms the northern portion of two adjoining preserves, the southern portion being Steinman Run. I took what I assume to be the usual route, and walked starting at Stump Road from the trailhead sticking to the northwest trail, which follows a beautiful stream filled with small pools and gentle waterfalls. The preserve reminded me of the much more popular Tucquan Glen with slightly tighter footpaths due largely to the many ferns that grow there. The privacy here likely helped me to see more wildlife, including a fawn playing by itself. It reminded me of a puppy as it ran up and down and across the trail in front of me. I missed my intended route, however. About half a mile in two streams converge, but the trail proceeds unbroken on the east side and looks like the obvious route. However, I needed to cross the stream to reach the northern most portion of the trail. There is a blue blaze opposite the stream that is really hard to see from the trail. I have a photo of the spot with the blue blazed tree that I will attach. Hopefully this will help future first time visitors to avoid the mistake I made!

Tue Feb 26 2019

Trail is confusing. Blue markings on both side of creek... but this side long stretches with no marks and felt like I was not on a trail. I’ve started this trail near steinman run and never ended up where maps took me to start... trail needs to be better marked

Mon Jan 28 2019

Took the kiddos in hopes of an easy hike since they are only 4 & 7. Unfortunately we were only able to see 1/3 of the trail because the trail crossed the creek and we were not able to cross with them. Tried to follow the trail without crossing but got a little too dangerous with steep muddy banks. Hoping to go back when it’s warmer and we can cross the water. Also -FYI Beginning of the trail is steep and muddy as you go up and over the rail trail.

Sun Sep 23 2018

HIKERS BEWARE. This is a beautiful hike, one that my boyfriend and I were thoroughly enjoying...Until we stumbled upon a yellow jacket nest on the trail. We both got stung collectively 11 times. Be extremely cautious. We were about 1 mike back on the trail.

Sun Aug 12 2018

this trail is easy to be on and its pretty scenic. I appreciated that I was able to get to it from the Enola low grade trail

Mon Jul 17 2017

It says easy but let me tell you it was hard holy cow it was hard but beautiful and lots of lovely scenery.

Thu Jun 22 2017

parking is very limited. to get to trail you go up and over the tunnel. it's steep going down to get to the trail. it's marked well, it crosses the stream at a few points. (feet got wet) it very rocky, you'll want "Off". there are some very nice little waterfalls and rock areas to see.

recorded Trout Run Trail