Tracy Ridge Hiking Trail System

Tracy Ridge Hiking Trail System is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corydon Twp, Pennsylvania that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pretty forest trail. The trail is well marked with maps posted in some locations. It was/had been raining when I went, so not surprising that it was muddy, though all of the streams had overflowed their banks. There are a number of places where the trail crosses the streams. The run off streams were still easily passable, but where it criss-crossed the larger stream several times the overflow made it a challenge. The trail itself was also a run off stream for long stretches, so between the crossings and the trail be prepared to get wet if it's been raining.

Though I had some difficulty personally, I recommend this trail for several reasons. Campsite was great. Trail was in decent shape, but with many fallen tree obstacles- no big deal. As always, be in shape, drink water, be smart. Enjoy this loop. Definitely easier climb up Johnnycake.

Super awesome hike. Love how quiet it is around that area. All the trails are well marked. Walked all the way down to the closest scenic vista. Wasn't as scenic as a expected, but the overall hike was definitely worth it. I will be 100% return to check out the other trails.

Perfect hike and campsite! It is pretty muddy and has several spots where you have to cross a stream, so definitely have waterproof boots. There's a pretty challenging hill, but most of the trail is easy to moderate. Very well marked as well! This was my first trip backpacking and I think it's a very good one to start out on. Be prepared to see deer, snakes, and other wildlife.

wet and muddy boots and a walking stick are good ideas. couple creek crossings. stay at a no fee campsite down by Johnny cake, and the reservoir.

Just went there this past week for two nights. Started at Tracey Ridge Trail and then turned onto Northern Country Trail and up Johnnycake Run Trail back to Tracey Ridge Entrance. Many streams and the views were amazing. First backpack adventure with a few friends and it was a success. The only trail markers hard to find were some on the way back up to the entrance on the Johnnycake Run Trail. Very good still, will come back!

Sunday, November 06, 2016

This trail starts out easy and grows more challenging where it combines with the North Country Trail along the Alleghany Resevoir. I didn't do the loop described but chose a variation that I hiked to Hopewell Campsite. Reaching the campsite added an additional 5 miles to hike. There were considerable hills, and the trail often narrows dangerously on steep terrain at points throughout. Bring your trekking poles. Views were pretty non existent throughout this hike, except when you make it the NCT and have views of the Resevoir. The trails were hard to determine at times because proper blazing for trail turns were not often used. Especially heading to Hopewell campsite, so be careful.

I hiked in mid October and was surprised to find little water sources which force me to fill my 2L Bladder, and 1L water bottle at a drizzling creek bed. I did this just in case there wasn't water at Hopewell Campsite. This added an additional 6.6lbs to my pack which was an additional challenge when climbing and descending hills. I found that I did well to top off the water because the only water source that I did have access to was the Resevoir itself. Believe me I wasn't a fan of drinking water from it even though I had a filter.

The Hopewell Campsites were great, clean, and well situated. They even had picnic tables. There is a $12 fee per site per night on the honor system. Be honorable ;o). There was a privy nearby as well which was an added bonus no matter how bad it smelled.

I left camp early because my return trip was primarily an 8 mile trek back to the trail head. The beginning of which was a 4 mile ascent which added additional challenges because I learned that I should have worn my trail runners instead of hiking boots the day before so my toes were angry at me.

My only gripes are 1) the blazes and signage need to be revisited and executed so that there is little chance of missing crucial directions while on trial. 2) The trail has a lot of over growth in areas so be prepared for that.

Overall it was a very good area to hike. I'd recommend heading to one of the campsites along the Tracy Ridge system via North Country Trail heading North To South for an added challenge!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

We (spouse, 22 year old son and Teddy our dog) spent two full days on these trails in early October, 2016. gorgeous hiking, saw very few people even on the weekend.
We covered almost 30 miles. the trails are well marked and even have distances for each section showing. This made it easy to adjust our route to fit our time.
We were surprised by the lack of wildlife we saw. except for chipmunks and hearing some birds chirping, we did not see another type of animal.
There was very little available running water, so fill up when you can or at the well pumps at the campgrounds. Probably different in the Spring?
We did not camp at one of the campgrounds. We found a really nice camp site at the northern end of the trail section, near the little jut of the reservoir.
Overall, a great area to hike and backpack in. The trails are mostly well marked and
we felt we were truly out in the woods, all by ourselves. Well worth it!