Towpath Trail

Towpath Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mifflintown, Pennsylvania that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Towpath Trail at Lewistown Narrows Canal Park. An easy out and back trail with great views of the Juniata River and remnants of the Pennsylvania Canal. Key points of interest focusing on the canals history are identified & briefly described on informational signs and markers throughout the hike.

I was so excited to run this trail, but even walking it is a terrible idea. It is so overgrown with what looks to be poison ivy, it’s not clearly marked, and even though I only went a couple hundred feet before realizing I was up past my ankles in weeds and potentially poisonous plants, I came out with 2 ticks on my hat and one on my shirt. No thanks.

Friday, July 01, 2016

Nice easy out and back trail.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Nice Short Hike...Next time I will take headphones...could be a nice running trail

Pros: River Views, Fall Foliage, Pennsylvania Canal Views and History
Cons: Visible Highway, Noise Pollution

Friday, March 10, 2017