Tom Lowe Trail

Tom Lowe Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hamburg, Pennsylvania that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great loop when connected with the Sand Spring Trail, solo or with the kids. Connects to AT via a Sand Spring side trail at the Upper Sand Spring If you follow the trail from the parking lot (about 20 cars) in a counter-clockwise fashion, the climbs are rather gentle. Plenty of places to stop, look at the streams, hike off trail along other feeder streams, lots of stream crossings, several fire rings, a few springs and the sand spring.

Awesome hike! Very buggy especially near the water. Hard to find trail head so I went counterclockwise following sandy spring trail (blue trail markers). There is 1 very steep decline about 100 yard long about halfway through was manageable but definitely moderate. Also...at mile 2.8- south west point of trail if going counterclockwise trees are down and it's difficult to see markers and easy to get lost. The app GPS was spot on and I don't think I would have found the rest of the trail if I didn't have it. So many trees are down it's hard to find the trail and some of the markings are on the trees that are on the ground. Only passed 2 people very secluded but could hear gunshot the whole 3 hours I was hiking. I recommend going in a clockwise direction... after you park walk back in the direction you drove in and look for the trailhead on your right to go clockwise.

If you follow the GPS from this app, the trail will come off the parking lot on the side of the stream and will be marked with orange blazes starting across the creek. At the top of the mountain there is a small clearing with an old spring and rusted out bike. At this point you will start following the blue blazes which will bring you down the mountain, past the sand springs and back to the parking lot. The trail is well marked throughout, other than the lack of trail head marker. There are definitely steep portions, a few sections blocked by downed trees but manageable with detours, and portions where you will be walking on large slick rocks for extended periods of time. Wear good hiking shoes especially if it has rained recently as sections will be underwater and slippery. There are several stream crossings as well, so plan accordingly. The bugs were terrible when I was there and even with spray they were flying in my eyes, nose and mouth. I attribute this to the wet weather, but if you go soon, consider yourself warned lol. I didn’t pass a single hiker on my trip which is awesome!

Decent hike, with pretty views of the streams. I would recommend heading up the gravel road when starting (counter clockwise). My favorite parts of this trail are those where you are hiking alongside the streams. The trail is fairly well marked throughout, with the exception of some fallen trees containing trail marks on the way back down.

great great awesome moderate hike! The springs were amazing to see the water bubbling up like that! My old dog even made this walk and he is 12 but it was ruff on him (get it, ok i’m lame). Anyways, i was amazed just at the sheer natural beauty of this place not ONE piece litter did I notice here! Many stream crossings hopping across rocks is always fun, very rocky in spots and Howard my dog did have some trouble navigating around them but he is a 12 year old rough collie.

Definitely rocky and wet in places but all things considered a nice hike. My wife and I and our 6 pound dog did it in about 3 hours. The last hour the dog rode in my backpack.

This trail sucks big time!! Due to Very poor markings Would be nice to have the entrance marked!! Started on Sand Spring trail ended up 5 miles from where we parked the car!!

the trail is great and challenging but the app was for the most part worthless in keeping us on the trail. way out of date.

Great little day hike with lots of creek/stream crossings with lush green ferns and moss everywhere. We went on a Saturday in August and saw very few people on the trail. Not a whole lot of elevation change but certainly not flat. Rocks everywhere, as expected in PA, but footing was manageable and not an issue. Nice little hike!!

Def not an easy hike. Plenty of water crossings, especially after the recent rains. Beautiful scenery. Wear appropriate footwear, bring bug spray and a camera. Be sure to stop at the bubbling spring!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Very nice trail with numerous streams and falls. I would definitely not rate this trail as easy due to being so rocky and all the streams you cross. Hiked with my 3 month old son strapped to my chest, friends brought their small dog along, all were fine. Good markings to follow just expect to get a little wet and be concentrated on your footing. Would recommend to anyone and would def come again.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Really nice hike with great features. When you are on the logging road, the trail goes left at the three orange marks near the sign about the controlled burn. The logging road also has orange marks, but they are long and a slightly different shade of orange.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Great trail, very well marked. Bugs were a problem, but that comes with the territory of water nearby, my dog loved it.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Very nice trail with little waterfalls along it. Can be rocky in some area's but overall nice trail! The sand springs were neat to see.

Monday, May 29, 2017

I started on the Sand Spring trail and then picked up the Tom Lowe trail as most reviews were suggesting that. Love the small waterfalls and sand springs. It does get rocky in some sections and as others mentioned the blazes are a little confusing. The Tom Lowe trail is thick in sections and you are basically bushwhacking so bring tick repellant. When you see little side trails that are like deer paths, take them. They lead to little hidden gems. Overall a great hike!

Friday, February 24, 2017

Loved hiking around this trail. We started on the Sand Spring trail and then picked up the Tom Lowe Trail. Beautiful small waterfalls!

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Starting with the Sand Spring Trail was great, we went on a foggy morning and everything was lush and green. The Sand Spring was so neat. The Tome Lowe Trail was beautiful. Countless waterfalls and the streams were easy to cross. Rocky in some sections but manageable and the blazes were easy to see. Can't wait to do the loop again!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Would have given 5 stars had the trail been marked better. As other reviews mention, there is a wide service road, also with orange blazes, which can be a little confusing for someone that is not familiar with the area. There is a narrow & steep section of this trail that was slippery while snow covered. We began on Sand Spring Trail & connected to this trail, making a nice 5.6ish mile loop that began & ended at the parking area. There are water crossings. Hiked this trail with dogs & they did fine.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Typical rocky PA trail. Well marked with blue blazes. It was neat to see the Sand Spring bubbling. Hiked it with dogs, & they did fine. Picked up the Tom Lowe Trail off of this one, for a nice 5.6ish mile loop, that finishes back at the parking lot.

Monday, January 02, 2017

This trail may very well be my new favorite place to hike. There was approximately 1.5 inches of snow on the ground, the woods were thick, and the trail was nowhere as rocky as Hawk Mountain. Plenty of water crossings, some small waterfalls, and some great scenery for a winter hike. Most of the trail was within a valley surrounded by mountains which offered a true alone feeling. Lots of seclusion and peacefulness. Really looking forward to doing this one next summer

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Nice 3 hour hike. Be careful as the blazes can be misleading. I took the blue Sand Spring trail up and joined Tom Lowe trail for the way back. After blue blazed Sand Spring, the first 10 minutes of the Tom Lowe trail is a wide orange blazed service road. The orange blazed TL trail then goes off to the left and starts down on a typical PA woods hiking trail, however, the service road goes right and is also Orange blazed. The service road goes for at least another mile out to the AT. Easy to get on the wrong orange blazes thinking you're on Tom Lowe trail when you're not. Also, wear orange in season as I saw a few hunters along the trail.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Def enjoyed it. Half way around i found a decent rock to rest on and eat. When u park ur car at the gps spot, the trail going counter clockwise is about 200 yards up past the gate. Takes about 3 hrs to do the loop. Nothing too steep. I didnt see any rattlesnake, but its mid Oct now. Didn't see any other people on the trail either. Good trail for a work out. Not much to really see on it, but good to work out on.

Friday, October 07, 2016

Monday, August 08, 2016

Excluding the fact that we got lost and gnats were immensely attracted to our faces, sandy spring's was beautiful! I loved everything about it, we even got to see a deer! Ahaha! If you decide to go, be sure to be prepared, because we weren't and i had to hold in my piss for hours. But it was totally worth it.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Started from the Sand Spring trail which is just past the fence leading away from the parking lot and ended at the start of the Tom Lowe trail which leads out just below the parking lot. All in all this hike was amazing and really had it all. It's a moderate 5.3m hike, nothing too crazy, however it does get rocky in some parts and coordination is required. Considering I was hiking this while it was raining and didn't slip and fall on my ass once I have to say it's been pretty well kept. There is some overgrown shrubbery on some parts of the trail that brush up against your leg but that's inevitable here. Seems to be a lot of wildlife around, and on top of that once you're 30 minutes in the sound of I78 becomes completely drowned out for awhile. As other commenters have mentioned, you get to cross a few streams which makes for beautiful pictures and there is even this sketchy 'log' bridge (with rope 'harness') you can cross at one point. All in all I would call this a hidden gem, I didn't come across a single other person on the trail despite it being partially connected to the AT. 10/10 would hike again.

Sunday, June 01, 2014

My husband and love this trail! It's beautiful! It crosses a stream several times. The stream is audible through most of the hike. The rocks along the trail are really pretty. They have lots of sparkles that shine in the sun. The springs are really cool. There are several of them. The 1st time we hiked this trail it was early spring. The next Tim was 5/31/14. I don't recommend this trail when the weather is warm because the timber rattlesnakes are everywhere. We came very close to stepping on one of them. It was on the trail but hidden under some ferns. Early spring or fall will be the only times we return. We felt very lucky to get out of there without getting hurt. Happy trails!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Awesome terrain and scenery throughout the entire hike. Some difficult climbs but the sandy bottomed spring is worth checking out.